Command & Conquer 4K remaster coming

Caporegime
In some modded maps on tiberian sun you could delete a building and it give you infinite money.

So you would never run out and could build infinite amount otherwise resources would be limited as in you could only harvest so much before it stopped spitting out resources from over harvesting.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't remember C&C having a supply cap, but I do vaguely recall there was a cap in the number of units you could select in one go.

Thats two different things entirely though. Starcraft 1 had a unit selection limit, but Starcraft 2 has no such limit and you can even press an all army hotkey and select every single unit you have with one keypress (not a good idea to use it but its there should you need/wish to use it).

Read as

"I wasnt good enough to keep up with the better players" :D

Honestly some of the best games ever had online would cause intense network lag when the armies would clash! Thats what made CNC fun.

There is AWLAYS someone better than you, and if you think there isn't then you need to have a read of The Picture of Dorian Gray.

What happened to the guys who founded and worked at Westwood studios?

Did they cash in and retire?

Virgin bought Westwood and it was OK until EA came along and did what EA does :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
An RTS without a unit cap is stupid,

I beg to differ; rather, IMHO it is the unit cap that is stupid. I don't want to be constrained in my style of play.

it's a resource after all, as someone with superior macro could simply never lose.

Not true.

And I dont recall C&C having an unlimited supply cap, are you sure?

I never said it had an unlimited supply cap, but there are maps with endless supplies, and if you play as Scrin your storage is unlimited.

Also Starcraft 2 does have modes where the supply cap is removed and you can build unlimited sized armies, and watch your PC die in the process.

I haven't played S2 in years but I recall a unit cap of 200.

Associate
Well it has a supply of 200 rather than unit cap, but yes. E.g. a marine takes up 1 supply but a battle-cruiser takes up 6. The 1v1 multiplayer is balanced around a supply cap, which is pretty much essential in a 1v1 game, I get its not the case for single player maps, etc. You can play arcade games on SC2 that remove the supply cap and its just plain broken, fun but broken nonetheless :)

Soldato
Crikey. Installed OpenRA last night to try and see what RA was like. I lasted about two missions as I couldn't adapt to the small icons/UI. Everything felt wrong for some reason despite the presentation of the overall package (OpenRA) being top notch.

Soldato
This sounds like an excellent idea let's all hope they get it right.

I saw a mention of Dune 2 in this thread also, if your want to play the original you can download it for Android, it's fun. :)

Associate
Crikey. Installed OpenRA last night to try and see what RA was like. I lasted about two missions as I couldn't adapt to the small icons/UI. Everything felt wrong for some reason despite the presentation of the overall package (OpenRA) being top notch.

It was released back when a lot of people used to game at 800x600 or 1024x768.

Associate
OP
It was released back when a lot of people used to game at 800x600 or 1024x768.

we also had internet speeds running on the 56k modem :D:D:D

Brings back some great memories, i had this 1 v 1 game with a dude back in the day, with the slow pcs, the slow internet and the large amount of units that we both built over the course of the start of the game it lasted well over 3 hours, my eyes where red raw it was 4 o'clock in the morning we both fought on till one of won (i won LOL)

What a game that was ;):cool:

I had another memorable funny game on tiberian sun, will tell it another day :)

Soldato
Yeah I remember that. Just thought they (OpenRA folks) would redone the UI to be more effective for today's resolutions really. Still, I look forward to seeing how development on the remaster goes!

I play openRA fine in 3440 x 1440. Just turn on pixel doubling

Edit, after about a year of play i am finally getting quite good. Key is eco management, expand timings and mass army.

Soldato
Wish they would do Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (Master System version) redo. That would be cool. Epic game.

Skeptical about this remake though. Will wait and see. Likely to buy if it doesn't suck.

Back
Top Bottom