Gable End woodwork.

Soldato
We've got a late Edwardian property that we're re-rendering. The decorative woodwork set into the existing render (pebble-dash) has had it, and I need to replace.

We're going to do it in timber, not the plastic alternatives - does anyone know what wood is typically used for this? Untreated softwood, treated softwood, hardwoods? How are they typically fixed to the wall?

I'm assuming a treated softwood at this point. I can't tell how thick it is as it's not been pulled off yet. Looking to line up replacement materials. Having a bit of a mare finding a joiner to do this so tempted to do it myself.

The gables are quite high so I want to have it done, and forget about it forever.

Something 'like' this;

gableend7.jpg

Soldato
OP
So ours is more impressive than the stock image shown, but you get the idea.

I've seen a few examples where people have removed it (and I get the argument), but in my mind, when the render is done - it'll look much more interesting with the detail restored. We also have some decorative brickwork that we're keeping shown. Examples I've seen with it removed render the house looking a bit boring tbh.

This is one of those occasions in my mind, where a little more effort (and money) will make a difference than taking the easy option.

Waiting on quotes, but been advised on hardwood. We'll set it into the render to avoid water getting behind (fit it to the basecoat which'll provise a level surface). Plugged\screwed to wall, with wooden plugs fitted\sanded before finishing. Obviously prime\undercoat both sides before fitting. We have 2 gables to do, one about 3.5m at the bottom timber, one about 5m. I'll post a pic when it's done....

Bugeted 1K for this particular job....let's wait and see.

Soldato
I've no idea if it's inkeeping or what it would look like, but from what i've seen on grand designs, cedar is often used for modern exteriors, as it's naturally rot resistant due to the oils in the wood. Maybe one to explore?

I guess traditionally, when the house was built, the wood would have been treated somehow? Not sure if you're looking to recreate it as it was, or just something in keeping with the style?

Soldato
OP
I've no idea if it's inkeeping or what it would look like, but from what i've seen on grand designs, cedar is often used for modern exteriors, as it's naturally rot resistant due to the oils in the wood. Maybe one to explore?

I guess traditionally, when the house was built, the wood would have been treated somehow? Not sure if you're looking to recreate it as it was, or just something in keeping with the style?

Just in keeping with style, and as low maintenance as possible as it's 3 levels of scaffold high... I don't want to be having to re-paint it in the next 10 years. Working on the basis that if I use a quality hardwood, and paint system I'm giving myself the best possible chance.

Soldato
OP
OK so by means of an update. Pebble dash is off, timber was not hardwood and was in a terrible state.

Here are some original, and in-progress photos. Top coat of render is going on today, with the final woodwork painting this weekend. We ended up using 2x4", and 2x6" redwood. Mechanically fixed to gables, with all fixings plugged with oak dowels. Timber has been treated, and undercoated with a quality oil-based paint on all sides. We even routed a small chamfer on the inside edges for a little detail, and to aid water run-off. We'll be showing about 1/2" of the timber, proud of the render, when complete.

Original
47993859048_4d037638f0_c.jpg

In progress
47993908136_de8edf7e4b_c.jpg

Woodwork done
47993859373_905773b9f8_c.jpg

For scale, the bottom timber in that apex is 8m long.

There is a smaller gable at the side too, finished in the same manner.

Soldato
Looking good:)
Another option (Too late now)would have been to remove the old timber,render the wall,then apply a slightly thinner timberwork
This has the advantage of keeping all rain/water from getting in behind the timber onto the brickwork
After it has been rendered between the timbers and you have finished staining/painting.Apply clear mastic to the corners of the timbers to keep out water,but leave the bottom edge to let any water that does get in escape :)

Associate
Looks really nice, glad you’ve done it the right way. On that basis I’m assuming you’re using lime render?
Also what paint are you using to colour the render or are you using pre-coloured?

Soldato
OP
No water will get behind. Will think about the mastic. K-rended it.

47995731391_9f5f1bb99e_c.jpg

47995692122_66753125f0_c.jpg

Will remove the masking\protection later this week once the topcoat has cured, and then paint at the weekend all being well. Job (almost) jobbed.

Soldato
OP
Will look fantastic when it's all done.

Our brickwork is looking tired these days with lots of bricks damaged from frost etc over the years. Yours is making me want to render ours.

Yes, makes a big difference. Looking forward to finishing up, and getting the scaffold down - it's been up for 6 weeks now. Our ground floor is stock brick, so next job is to re-point that.

It's all moolah.

Soldato
Yes, makes a big difference. Looking forward to finishing up, and getting the scaffold down - it's been up for 6 weeks now. Our ground floor is stock brick, so next job is to re-point that.

It's all moolah.

Yeah tell me about it. We just built an orangery extension on our place and funds have pretty much dried up so I'm left with a patio to sort and a kitchen to tile / decorate.

Money just evaporates on building projects

Back
Top Bottom