Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
I got ALVR working with a few sims now. IL2 looked absolutely amazing - looked better than running native on my Rift. Elite looked very good too - slightly blurry in places but very playable. Project cars 2 was quite blurry, which was a disappointment. It's astounding this is possible at all though.

Associate
I'm hovering between getting a quest or a Lenovo explorer (less than £150 on the bay now) with extra cash going to games.

I currently have a ps pro with psvr v1 and moves.

I love the idea of being tether free on quest but the current game prices are very high especially for the older games.

My pc is a bit dated though 2600k, r9 290 and 8gb. I'm being unusually indecisive as they both offer different pros and cons.
I played VR on a 290 for over a year, dated GPU, but it will play pretty much everything, albeit on a lowerd settings. The Quest is an excellent bit of kit, but PCVR games are the better games, there’s too many PCVR games that won’t come to the Quest.

It’s a trade off, tethered to a PC and the ‘not amazing, but perfectly playable tracking of the LE’ and fully access to steam VR games library (revive for Oculus's games too) Vs the Quests wireless untethered VR experience.

It’s a tough one, but I would pick the Lenovo Explore, But the Quest is amazing, and I’m blown away with how good the games look on what I thought was going to a completely underpowered snapdragon 835..

Associate
Well, I've finally decided on a case. The official one is just too compact for what I want. I want to put extra things in there like battery pack etc. I'm also hoping to do the DAS mod at some point and will want that to fit in the case too. If anyone else has done the DAS mod I'd like to see pics of what case you've used and how it fits.
I've bought the TecTake 402412 camera case (£46 on ebay), which will have plenty of room and provide excellent protection. I'm not too bothered about small form factor so hopefully this case should work out well.
There's lots of posts on reddit about US people using the Harbor Freight cases, it's a shame we can't buy them over here as they're a bargain for the price. I think the Tectake case should be similar to the Harbor Freight 3800 size. This is how things fit in that
I'll post again when the case has arrived and i've tried it out.

Caporegime
Anyone here use it with glasses?

I am short sighted, around -5.5 in both eys so quite heavy. Are there any adjustment to compensate or does the unit allow you to wear glasses while using it?

Also, how does the 3D movie work? as in, how do I get it to load on there? Say if I already have the 3D Bluray.

p.s. 64G or 128G?

Which one did you get?

Associate
Anyone here use it with glasses?

I am short sighted, around -5.5 in both eys so quite heavy. Are there any adjustment to compensate or does the unit allow you to wear glasses while using it?

Also, how does the 3D movie work? as in, how do I get it to load on there? Say if I already have the 3D Bluray.

p.s. 64G or 128G?

Which one did you get?

I don't have glasses, but Oculus provide a glasses spacer in the box to enable use with glasses. Obviously not all glasses will fit, so it's a bit of trial and error. I'd recommend getting some 3D printed lens protectors too if you're using glasses, as I'm sure you wouldn't want to risk getting scratches on the lenses.
Your other option would be to get some prescription lens adapters, then you don't have to worry about wearing glasses at all.

If you have 3D blu-rays you'll have to rip them to SBS files to play on the Quest. There's plenty of Youtube videos on this also. Then you can just copy the files over to the Quest and play them. I use Skybox player for this, which is free.

64GB will be fine for most people. If you're going to put lots of games and movies on there you may want the 128GB. I personally got the 128GB as I nearly ran out of space on my 64GB Go, and didn't want this to happen on the Quest.

Caporegime
I don't have glasses, but Oculus provide a glasses spacer in the box to enable use with glasses. Obviously not all glasses will fit, so it's a bit of trial and error. I'd recommend getting some 3D printed lens protectors too if you're using glasses, as I'm sure you wouldn't want to risk getting scratches on the lenses.
Your other option would be to get some prescription lens adapters, then you don't have to worry about wearing glasses at all.

If you have 3D blu-rays you'll have to rip them to SBS files to play on the Quest. There's plenty of Youtube videos on this also.

64GB will be fine for most people. If you're going to put lots of games and movies on there you may want the 128GB. I personally got the 128GB as I nearly ran out of space on my 64GB Go, and didn't want this to happen on the Quest.

Thanks, I don't have a 3D printer but thanks for the link anyway...may be i can find someone who does.

Does the unit have an SD card slot? how do you get movies into it?

Associate
Thanks, I don't have a 3D printer but thanks for the link anyway...may be i can find someone who does.

Does the unit have an SD card slot? how do you get movies into it?

You don't need a 3D printer, you can easily order from somewhere like 3Dhubs. Just download the files from thingiverse and upload them on 3Dhubs to get a price.

There is no SD card slot. You plug the Quest into your PC via the supplied USB-C cable, or you will need a USB-C to USB-A cable if your computer doesn't have a USB-C port. You allow the connection from within the headset, then copy any movie files into the movies folder on the PC.
You can also stream movies to the Quest wirelessly by using Skybox or Bigscreen for example.

Caporegime
You don't need a 3D printer, you can easily order from somewhere like 3Dhubs. Just download the files from thingiverse and upload them on 3Dhubs to get a price.

There is no SD card slot. You plug the Quest into your PC via the supplied USB-C cable, or you will need a USB-C to USB-A cable if your computer doesn't have a USB-C port. You allow the connection from within the headset, then copy any movie files into the movies folder on the PC.
You can also stream movies to the Quest wirelessly by using Skybox or Bigscreen for example.

Thanks for the info re 3D printer.

Skybox or Big screen?

I’m on the Mac, hopefully it’s got max support.

I have Netflix account too but I’m just thinking for films they isn’t on there. Like most marvel stuff. I guess I can upload a movie at a time, delete when done.

Caporegime
Associate
I've recently discovered a stuck red sub pixel in one lens of my Quest and really do not know what to do about the issue. I've looked through the Oculus forums and Reddit and the remedy seems to be to return it for a new one.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Associate
I've recently discovered a stuck red sub pixel in one lens of my Quest and really do not know what to do about the issue. I've looked through the Oculus forums and Reddit and the remedy seems to be to return it for a new one.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Might sound silly but you're not stream footage??
Is it a red stuck pixel on all screens?

I say that as I noticed a red dot on my right eye and turned out it was a recording light or something.
Went away when not streaming or in the main hub area etc

Associate
Might sound silly but you're not stream footage??
Is it a red stuck pixel on all screens?

I say that as I noticed a red dot on my right eye and turned out it was a recording light or something.
Went away when not streaming or in the main hub area etc

It's not the stream or recording indicator. It's on all screens but very noticeable on dark backgrounds. After a while it seems to go but will always return when I turn the Quest on.

Associate
Apparently there's an issue with the Oculus InEar headphones.......an issue that causes mono sound in place of stereo.
Oculus will be shipping out new versions in July free of charge, but are offering buyers the option of a refund if they wish or the replacement as well as 30 dollars credit on the Oculus Store.
In either case, they can keep the original set.

Excellent response to be fair.

Back
Top Bottom