RIP Paul Darrow (Avon from Blakes 7).

Soldato
Loved Blakes 7, It was one of those series that while superficially enjoyable at the time, one only really appreciates its true depths many years later. (Box sets from the Cex shop! :D )

There is an awful lot of 60's, 70,s and 80,s stuff that falls into this category. "Yesterday" etc are pretty much my favorite freeview channels these days.

They really don't make them like that any more! :(

Soldato
Kerr Avon (To an "Amazon" type character in Blakes 7, something about pain AIR) "It is your strength, and whatever it is, a Mans strength will always be stronger!" :cool:

Soldato
Vila: I'm in entitled to my opinion.
Avon: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Tyrion, probably second after Avon but the gulf between them cannot be defined.

Associate
Sunday mornings were great when I was a kid, stuck on UK Gold and watched repeats of Blake's 7 or proper 'old' Doctor Who omnibus. Avon was brilliant, his voice and delivery of the lines still sticks with me today. RIP

Soldato
Part of me is glad I never watched Blakes 7 as a child. Paul Darrows character was the type that would have rubbed off on me, id have grown up with the same kind of attitude.

Truth was when I finally watched every episode a few years back, his character still got me acting the like as a 40 something:)

What a star!!

Soldato
Sad news. I have vague memories of watching Blakes 7 when I was very young. Have been watching some of the episodes on youtube recently. The sets and costumes were always a bit iffy - a reflection of the budget at the time I suppose - but seeing them again, it is the characters and their relationships that made the show so endearing to those who held it in fond regard.
I do believe Paul also wrote a least one Blakes 7 novel. I'll have to look it up and see.

Soldato
When I was a kid and watching Blake's 7, Avon was my first experience of what I know now is a breakout character. He was an anti-hero, he wasn't the leader or the hero, but somehow he became a main character, even though he was acerbic, sarcastic, and only out for himself. He became the opposing balance to Roj Blake's principled freedom-fighter. Paul Darrow played him to perfection, and made the character far more interesting in doing so.

Godspeed Paul Darrow.

Soldato
Loved this as a kid, but didn't really understand it - but the teleport bracelets, the federation, Servalan, Vila, Soolin (mmmm!) and ofc my favourite was Avon.

I bought the boxsets a few years ago and rewatched them all - you can't get away from the budget sets etc, but the story was amazing - maybe time for a reboot? I didn't like the ending, i always wanted them to win, but wow, what an ending, still talked about today.

Paul Darrow has an autobiography out, i never got around to reading it, think i may look it up.

Back
Top Bottom