Cooler Question - ITX Micro Server Build

Associate
Hi All,

Firstly i hope this post is in the right place, if it's not then my apologies.

I am in the process of building a machine to replace my old HP Gen 7 Micro Server.
Due to demand from running various docker containers I needed something with a bit more grunt, at a reasonable budget.

So I have already sourced all the following parts:
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (Used)
PSU: Corsair 450W Power Supply (New)
CPU: Intel Core i3-3240 (Used)
Mobo: MSI H61I-E35 ITX (Used)
RAM: 8Gb DDR3 (Used)

So all in, its come to around £150, which I'm really happy with.

So, my question:
As this machine is running 24/7, I fancy the idea of having a passive cooler on the CPU rather than the Stock Intel one.

Having looked around the only affordable one i can find is:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-alpine-12-passive-cpu-cooler-black-hs-06z-ar.html

The case seems to have a good front to rear air flow, so would this help the cooler cope with the 55W CPU, when its rated up to 47W?

The only other passive coolers are around £50, which is by far the most expensive component... and would push me way over my planned budget.

Or am I being a bit silly wanting a passive cooler when others would cope with 24/7 use perfectly fine?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Associate
I built something similar recently for a proxmox box running docker in an lxc and also my pfsense router.

I used a pico psu and the stock intel cooler on a 3470t cpu (max tdp is 35w). It runs practically silently. Might be another angle to what you are trying to achieve.

Soldato
You should have bought one of the 35W TDP 'T' CPUs like the i5-3470T that fezster mentions. It benchmarks slightly better than your i3-3240 so there's no downside to running it. Ask nicely and I'll put one in the MM. ;)

But it doesn't look like there's any need to run a low-profile cooler in the Node 304 so why not just buy a modestly priced tower cooler and leave the fan off? I ran my 77W i7-3770 like this for years, admittedly under an immodest Macho cooler.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But there's no reason (I know of) why he can't get access. He may not have many posts but he's been here for long enough that it shouldn't matter.
post count does matter (un)fortunately - depending on which way you see it...either as a barrier to entry, or weeding out potential scammers...
need a post count of >1000

Soldato
Big advocate for passive pcs... but in your setup why not put some a case fan or two in, on low speed... Good ones (Noctua).
Stick a big tower cooler on the CPU, biggest that will fit, put a fan on it and then tell the mobo to control fan speed. Under 50oC the fan is off, than gradually ramp it up (straight line) to around 50% at 80oC. 80oC to 90oC again straight line ramping it up.

This will result in a macine that is silent/near silent most of the time, but when taxed or when it gets to the hot time of the year it ramps the fan up to keep temperatures from running away.

Associate
OP
Hey guys,

Sorry for the silence on my part!

I opted for a cheap tower cooler that seemed good value for money (Arctic Freezer 12).

Off the comments you guys made there really wasnt any detriment in having a tower cooler! It fit, and with a reasonable fan profile the fan still doesn't have to spin up!

I've put the twin front and single rear fan on medium speed which seems a good airflow to noise setting.

My frustration: I so should have gone for a different PSU! The fan noise on it is horrific!

Back
Top Bottom