Upgrade or New build?

Associate
Here is my current PC https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/project-unnamed.18454038/.

6 years old now, and I think it's due an upgrade. I want to be able to use the Oculus Rift and play current games occasionally.
I was thinking initially of replacing the DVD, HDD and SSD, with 2x new SSDs or M.2. Then a new Graphics card. But will the old Ivy bridge hold me back? What about PSU will it have enough juice for a modern GPU? Would it make more sense to get a CPU, motherboard, RAM bundle?
I'm not too concerned about budget, I just want to make sure that what I build will last another 6 years.
Cheers.
PMol

Soldato
6 years old now, and I think it's due an upgrade. I want to be able to use the Oculus Rift and play current games occasionally.
I'm not too concerned about budget, I just want to make sure that what I build will last another 6 years.
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge)
16Gb GeIL EVO Leggera DDR3
Gelid GX7 CPU Cooler
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
Intel 330 Series 120GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbs SSD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gbs
Antec 900-2 Case
Jeantech Storm 700W PSU

^^Is this your spec?

You could buy a second hand i7-3770K, upgrade the BIOS and plug in a GTX 1660Ti/RTX 2060/ - but you would need to take a hard look at your ageing PSU (which is why i didn't add the Vega 56 to the GPU list).

But, with Zen 2 coming out in July i would wait and save for a complete new system - especially as you're not too concerned about budget. It would be a very significant upgrade and is an opportune moment with a brand new/competitive release and would last you another 6+ years, looking at how long you hold onto hardware.

Associate
^^Is this your spec?

You could buy a second hand i7-3770K, upgrade the BIOS and plug in a GTX 1660Ti/RTX 2060/ - but you would need to take a hard look at your ageing PSU (which is why i didn't add the Vega 56 to the GPU list).

But, with Zen 2 coming out in July i would wait and save for a complete new system - especially as you're not too concerned about budget. It would be a very significant upgrade and is an opportune moment with a brand new/competitive release and would last you another 6+ years, looking at how long you hold onto hardware.

Pretty much this. If you can get your hands on a i7 3770k for less than £100 and oc then it is a decent way to save a little money. But overall a new Zen2 build is looking like at better option if you ok with spending the money.

Just wait a few weeks see the reviews and potentially spend £600-£800 on a new CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU, SSD and GTX 1660Ti or Vega 56 level gpu and you're sorted

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think he replaced the jeantech psu with a Corsair HX750. Personally I wouldn't spend any money on that now. It's had a good run and Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) and the new motherboards are very close now so I would put the money towards a new AMD build. Even if Zen 2 turns out to be too expensive it may trigger a price drop on the current Ryzen 2000 series and B450/X470 boards. Avoid the overpriced Intel's which have more security holes in them than swiss cheese plus there is no upgrade path with them.

Associate
OP
Sorry. Here is the current specs.
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz(Overclocked 4.0GHz) (Ivybridge)
16Gb Corsair Vengeance Black 1600Mhz
Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
Asus Xonar DGX 5.1
MSI 7850 OC 2Gb Twin Frozr IV
Intel 330 Series 120GB 2.5" SATA 6Gbs SSD (System)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gbs (Data)
Corsair 600T SE White Case
Corsair Professional HX750W '80+ Gold' PSU
BitFenix Spectre Pro 200mm x1
BitFenix Spectre Pro 120mm x3

Probably hilarious by todays standards, but it was nice when I built it. I use it now for mostly work, and the occasional game, but it definitely deserves a bit of TLC if not a full new build.

Soldato
and the occasional game
How occasional and what type of game?

If you're only dipping into the odd game every now and then, then a simple GPU upgrade may be the way forward as it's a still a very capable Office machine coupled with light gaming (@60Hz?) and you have the juice for it.

That said if you're playing AAA titles, even with occasional gaming you would appreciate a new architecture/build from the core up.

Edit: what work/software are you using?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't game often, but if something new comes out that appeals to me, i want to be able to play it. Also, I still play RTS games and some of them (Act of Aggression) can be juicy on a big map with several opponents. I think it should be a case of building something new, and seeing what parts I can salvage from my current system. (Cooling, PSU, Case, SSD???@)

Soldato
I don't game often, but if something new comes out that appeals to me, i want to be able to play it. Also, I still play RTS games and some of them (Act of Aggression) can be juicy on a big map with several opponents. I think it should be a case of building something new, and seeing what parts I can salvage from my current system. (Cooling, PSU, Case, SSD???@)
I would definitely wait for the release of Zen 2 if money isn't an issue - 3700X (8c/16t) will last you another 6 years

*Conversely, if on a budget, you can pick up some real bargains at the moment - 2600X/Quality MB/16GB memory for ~£340 (or from OcUK you get 2 free games with CPU which can be sold on for £50).

But, would upgrade to Zen 2 if you have the funds as you'll get your monies worth with 6+ years usage.

Back
Top Bottom