In need of some help | windows 98 laptop | syndicate wars

Associate
A couple of years back I had a urge to play some classic PC games from my youth, mostly championship manager 00-01. So I got myself a windows 98 laptop, it's a Pentium 4 with 1gb of ram.

I'm trying to install Syndicate wars and am getting a not enough memory error. I read that windows 98 struggles with 1gb or more of ram. I changed the vcache in system.ini to some settings I found online, it now let's me load the installer but instantly crashes

Any help please!

Caporegime
Yeah I read the same as LewisRaz and iirc that limit includes GPU memory, it's an addressing problem I think.

You have to remember that back in 2000/01 GPU's had 32-64MB and most systems probably had 128MB-256MB system RAM, by the time systems had 512MB+ people would have been on Windows 2000/XP so there probably wasn't a lot of need for Microsoft to patch Windows 98.

If you want to run old games on proper hardware then you're probably better off with period correct hardware.

Associate
OP
I tried taking 512mb out and it still crashed, probably as mmj_uk said above but for what i actually use it the laptop does the job, Syndicate Wars is the only game ive had issues with

Back
Top Bottom