Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Soldato
If those animals had not been killed though, wouldn’t a lot of them have ended up suffering horrible deaths from radiation poisoning anyway? Surely it would have been a mercy killing for some of them.

Yes it would be a mercy killing, although their deaths wouldn't be as horrific as the people who were near to the core when it first exploded and the immediate hours after when they thought it was a simple roof fire (despite there being no roof)

Soldato
If those animals had not been killed though, wouldn’t a lot of them have ended up suffering horrible deaths from radiation poisoning anyway? Surely it would have been a mercy killing for some of them.

Dogs in the area have become a bit of a problem. Think they are having to cull them in some areas. We saw a flippin huge moose last time. Like as tall as a human before the antlers. We gave him a wide berth but got him on camera and video.

Caporegime
Not sure if these been posted, but some photos from The Atlantic, shows a lot of the roof liquidators using their own makeshift radiation protection in the form of lead sheets.
wow that's insane. one even has a makeshift lead hat wtf
I watch some youtuber who travels around mostly poor countries and he was in Belarus looking around some tiny villages etc where almost no one lived.

seems they only got payments from the government for a few years before the radiation zone they lived in was declared "safe" and the payments stopped but just a few hundred metres away is still apparently not safe because of radiation....
I bet the same crap happened in russia, wouldn't surprise me if most of the people promised payment in the cleanup never got anything and corruption ate it all

Soldato
wow that's insane. one even has a makeshift lead hat wtf
I watch some youtuber who travels around mostly poor countries and he was in Belarus looking around some tiny villages etc where almost no one lived.

seems they only got payments from the government for a few years before the radiation zone they lived in was declared "safe" and the payments stopped but just a few hundred metres away is still apparently not safe because of radiation....
I bet the same crap happened in russia, wouldn't surprise me if most of the people promised payment in the cleanup never got anything and corruption ate it all

Bald and Bankrupt? Seen a few of his videos, surprisingly decent Russian for an English chap.

Collapse of the Soviet Union around 5 years after the accident hasn't helped either with those receiving long term payments. There is a reason people called it "coffin money", some places were definitely worse than others when it came to radiation being carried in that cloud.

Soldato
Been watching about the Windscale fire on YouTube , not as bad as Chernobyl but some of the west Cumbrian people there are disfigured , have skin problems and suffer mental problems

And then they had a nuclear incident !

Bdmmm Tshhh!

I’m here all day

Soldato

I found these while digging on youtube for more Chernobyl snippets this is an interview with Legasov's daughter, interesting that at the end of part 1 the narrator mentions that there wasn't much water under the melting core

Also found out 2 of those 3 divers are still alive and the 3rd only died in 2005, surprisingly radiation sickness didn't get them (haven't finished watching the HBO series so no idea if they cover this fact)

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/...ov-and-boris-baranov-die-of-radiation-poisoni

Associate
What a superb series. I had reservations over how they might tie it up in the final episode but it didn't disappoint. Not one bit.

It was a nice touch to mention that many scientists made up the Ulana character they created for the show. I found the ending quite touching.

Caporegime
Bald and Bankrupt? Seen a few of his videos, surprisingly decent Russian for an English chap.

Collapse of the Soviet Union around 5 years after the accident hasn't helped either with those receiving long term payments. There is a reason people called it "coffin money", some places were definitely worse than others when it came to radiation being carried in that cloud.
yea bald and bankrupt

Associate
Also found out 2 of those 3 divers are still alive and the 3rd only died in 2005, surprisingly radiation sickness didn't get them (haven't finished watching the HBO series so no idea if they cover this fact)

Yes, it's mentioned in an epilogue in the final episode, rather miraculous to say the least.

Overall an ace miniseries, will definitely re-watch. Loved the way how it went full circle and saved the events just prior to the explosion for the final episode.

Associate
Just seen the final episode. What a series, emotionally as powerful as anything I have ever seen. A terrible waste of human life and I was near to tears at the end.

Soldato
This was some damn good TV, wasn't sure what they had planned for the final episode.

It's like HBO knew Game of Thrones was going to bomb and made sure we had this right after :p

Soldato
Stunning ending, I wasn't sure how the court room theme should play out. But playing the events of what went on and a tiny bit after was amazing. The closing shots and stats and music where so perfect.

Soldato
Incredibly moving the show was as a whole and the final episode was quite frightening - to witness the recklessness in the control room leading upto the disaster.

The talk between the two main cast members during the recess of the trail was very touching, as we're those final credits.

Back
Top Bottom