Why in 2019, do we still have this....

Caporegime
IMAG2282.jpg

Why haven't manufacturers managed to stop this **** from happening yet with LED TV's?

I wanted to treat myself to a new bigger TV but have been through 3 sets now (2 different manufacturers) that all have the same/similar issues.

I got lucky ages ago with a 6 year old panasonic from a tesco sale which wasn't bad at all in this regard, but i was hoping by now manufacturers would have been able to stop this from happening....but no.

Do lots of people just not notice it or does it not bother them? I cant stand it.

I also don't understand how they can advertise with remarks about great blacks and colour accuracy etc when you get this rubbish.

I know you will all say get an oled but then ive read loads about the issues they have with uniformity and screen burn in/heat making discoloured spots etc.

Basically, are TV's just a big pile of excrement whatever amount of money you pay and should i give up buying a new one? :p

Soldato
I've never understood why people sit in the pitch dark taking pictures of completely black screens.

Is that your usual use-case?

What does it look like when you're actually watching something?

If it bothers you that much buy an OLED.

Caporegime
OP
I've never understood why people sit in the pitch dark taking pictures of completely black screens.

Is that your usual use-case?

What does it look like when you're actually watching something?

If it bothers you that much buy an OLED.

Well that is just to take the picture obviously. it is still obvious even in low light.

Also i imagine most people watch films with the light off / in very low light.

Caporegime
What TV is it? might be a help to let others who are buying know.

If you're watching an LED in the pitch black you should really aim for a locally dimmed TV, otherwise it's going to be a lottery.

Associate
I know you will all say get an oled but then ive read loads about the issues they have with uniformity and screen burn in/heat making discoloured spots etc.

Get an OLED. You can read all you like, negative experiences are always shouted about far more on the internet than the positive ones.

My C7 has withstood many hours of constant gaming, the missus pausing Sky Q for hours on end, Sky Sports and News Channels are 50% of the viewing, watching it in light room, watching it in dark room.....hasn't missed a beat, not one issue, best £1,250 I've ever spent.

Caporegime
OP
Everything is flawed. Best you can do is choose which ones you can deal with.

True. I'm just not getting lucky i guess.

I just find it amazing that no one has been able to amend the manufacturing process so that this doesn't happen. I am no engineer, but i find it hard to believe that it can be this hard to just cast a uniform light behind a screen. I imagine, that this sort of thing must account for a very high percentage of returns.

Soldato
Get an OLED. You can read all you like, negative experiences are always shouted about far more on the internet than the positive ones.

While I agree you are mostly correct, this forum in particular has an exceptionally vociferous group who won't hear a word said against OLED.

Soldato

Basically, are TV's just a big pile of excrement whatever amount of money you pay and should i give up buying a new one? :p

Uniformity issues on OLEDs were generally a problem with the earlier models back in 2015 and 2016. Sure, you'll still see some people who have got unlucky and got a bad panel, but generally speaking the newer OLED models (2017 and onwards) are much better when it comes to uniformity.

I assume based on your initial post that you watch quite a bit of TV in low light? If that's the case, then OLED is definitely going to be your best option, LCD TVs simply can't produce the same blacks as OLEDs and even something extremely good such as the new Samsung Q90R suffers from some bloom and haloing around bright objects in an otherwise dark scene.

Soldato
My 10 year old Sony TV's black/contrast correction function is great for this (and only this) on low it dims a lot when there's next to nothing on the screen, so I don't really notice any bleed. One of the only of the generally useless/terrible "Advanced" options i have enabled.

Soldato
Uniformity issues on OLEDs were generally a problem with the earlier models back in 2015 and 2016. Sure, you'll still see some people who have got unlucky and got a bad panel, but generally speaking the newer OLED models (2017 and onwards) are much better when it comes to uniformity.

I assume based on your initial post that you watch quite a bit of TV in low light? If that's the case, then OLED is definitely going to be your best option, LCD TVs simply can't produce the same blacks as OLEDs and even something extremely good such as the new Samsung Q90R suffers from some bloom and haloing around bright objects in an otherwise dark scene.

When backlight is reduced LCD can produce good blacks. Certainly not grey.

Whether or not it's able to produce enough contrast like this, but when I changed from Samsung LCD to pioneer plasma the plasma wasn't massively blacker. Sure a little but not say worth £1000 the extra cost.

I had the LCD at 2/10 backlight which was plenty of contrast in a dark room..and no blotches or anything like that.

And that was first gen 1080p LCD.

Setting low backlight caused some other issues to do with backlight (hum) bit with contrast set to 90, which is normal with lcd you want it quite high it produced a good picture.

Skin tones, colours off angle colour and tint were off though, also SD and low quality sources didn't look as good as the pioneer or Panasonic plasma perhaps plasma mandles mpeg blocking and lower resolution sources better. Games looked great though.

Caporegime
OP
Make and model of TV would help.

I take it you haven't bothered researching FALD?

It is a UE55NU7400.

I have researched FALD but even those have issues with blooming etc.

To be honest, i may just splash the cash on an OLED as it seems that even with expensive/top of the range LED's you can still get issues. I have watched videos of full array local dimming on some sets and even that is noticable and looks irritating.

I just find it incredible that manufacturers have made zero attempt to recitify this yet. I have had LED panels that have been brilliant (ie no bleed and great uniformity) in the past but they are few and far between and you have to go through many screens before you get a good one. However, if it is possible to have one with a uniform backlight, why do they not take the time to manufacturer them so they are all like it? I just think the variation from screen to screen is really crazy.

Like this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOq_lhHirPs

What is wrong with TV designers/engineers? Why would you ever want anything that does something like that ( in the above video). It just looks awful.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
My 10 year old Sony TV's black/contrast correction function is great for this (and only this) on low it dims a lot when there's next to nothing on the screen, so I don't really notice any bleed. One of the only of the generally useless/terrible "Advanced" options i have enabled.

This latest TV does this too. However if there is something bright/white on a predominantly black screen, you get those horrible splotches. You can even notice them on the borders around films too. It can do complete black really well as the whole thing dims. It is when something else is on screen with the black where the issue arises.

Soldato
Good old panel lottery these days with poor design, engineering and QC.

You're not the only one it annoys, it's frighteningly obvious watching a dark show/film in a dark room.

Then you try to switch it out and they come back with 'it's within spec sir', so you go nuclear on their *** and envoke consumer rights until you maybe get a good one.

I'd love an OLED, but not spending 5k plus on the 77" that is needed for the room.

Associate

My C7 has withstood many hours of constant gaming, the missus pausing Sky Q for hours on end, Sky Sports and News Channels are 50% of the viewing, watching it in light room, watching it in dark room.....hasn't missed a beat, not one issue, best £1,250 I've ever spent.

Pretty much this. My B7 is spot on. Speak as you find.

Back
Top Bottom