Apple Pro Display XDR "6K resolution"

Caporegime
:eek:

You can get a dell 8k ips for a little over 3k, not hdr but still...

Pretty weird design on that apple screen at the back, looks like a ton of mini vents.

ed: just realised it's the same design as the new mac pro.

Soldato
The monitor this new Apple one was compared to was $43,000 Sony one. I don’t think it was even 4K! If it’s looked at from that angle then I suppose it’s a bargain. I don’t think this monitor is meant for normal mortals who want to play Fortnite.

Caporegime
when you read the specs with it having constant 1000nits brightness and 1600 peak and some of the highest colour coverage money can buy, 180deg viewing angles, FALD it starts and seems cheap at £4,700............I am even considering buying one :eek:

Associate
Is this mini led like the new acer/asus displays coming? 1000nits sustained brightness is impressive but it seems to only have half the 1000+ local dimming zones that the ProArt PA32UCX and ConceptD CM7321K will have

Soldato
It's very impressive monitor for quite a specific application. I think the cost reflects this quite well.

However, this is the only standalone monitor that Apple do since they stopped the Cinema and then Thunderbolt. So i'm not sure why they don't have a lower tier model for those that have iMAcs/Macbooks and want a second screen, or for current Mac Pro users.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Ahh, people getting annoyed by apple making products that are not for them and priced accordingly. Whats new. The new mac pro is expensive and so is the monitor. For 99% of people its complete overkill and represents 0 value for money. For some people however this will be a great display and the mac pro will be great for work.

Associate
OP
Ya if the display really is amazing I could dish out $5K for it. But charging $200 for a $15 VESA bracket and $1000 for a $150 stand really puts a bad taste in your mouth. If I bought the display (not that I would since you cannot connect it to a NVIDIA desktop GPU), I'd probably fashion my own VESA adapter.

Soldato
It's expensive when you compare it to consumer stuff, but it's not for consumers. This is a 32 inch monitor, with a 6K resolution that achieves a contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1 and can sustain a full screen brightness level of 1000 nits.

Nothing else comes close in the consumer market.

But 1K USD for a stand is a freaking joke. You can't do anything with it unless you spend at least 200 USD.

Associate
OP
I think that 1 million to 1 contrast ratio claim is a BS dynamic ratio and not static. No transmissive LCD panel even with FALD can get anywhere near that contrast ratio, especially not an IPS panel. Only the extremely expensive dual layer sandwiched LCD panels can. The best VA FALD displays max out around 20,000:1 CR, so how is a single layer LCD IPS getting 1 million to 1? FALD alone isn't going to do it. The Apple display doesn't even have that many zones and is not a mini-LED type display.

Would be cool if TFTCentral could get their hands on one, but I'm sticking with the BS CR claim until tested otherwise.

Caporegime
Is this mini led like the new acer/asus displays coming? 1000nits sustained brightness is impressive but it seems to only have half the 1000+ local dimming zones that the ProArt PA32UCX and ConceptD CM7321K will have

Lots of mini led 1000 peak nit monitors coming at the end of the year. In fact I've seen a 32" 1000 zone HDR 120Hz screen supposed to be coming. Thats my ideal 4k screen.

Back
Top Bottom