At what age should sex education be taught?

Soldato
I was listening to the radio this morning and the story about the LGBT protest in Birmingham was being discussed. During the conversation it came out that schools are teaching sex education to kids around 4 years old, at primary school age.

This is the first time I'd heard of the actual age they were teaching it at. I'm shocked. Why would they be taught this at such a young age? I wasn't thinking about sex or relationships at 4 years old. I can hardly even remember what I was thinking at that age never mind learning about sex education! From my vague memories I just remember enjoying school, being in class and learning the basics of education.

I'm not sure how long teaching kids sex education at 4 years old as been going on for but it sure explains why kids are growing up too fast! I think the LGBT aspect is just being used as a justification. But in reality most kids are not thinking along those lines at all, whether LGBT or straight.

What do others think about this, 4 years old to be taught sex education, do you think that's ok?

Permabanned
When you say 'sex education' what are you referring to? Do we actually have any idea how the subject is framed and taught or are we just assuming that teachers are breaking out the dildos, condoms and birthing videos?

Soldato
4 is really freaking young, so yeah it depends on what level the education it is.

I've told my 8 year of where babies come from at least twice in his life, no 'birds and the bees' analogy, just facts.
I believe he completely forgot the first time, and was fairly dis-interested the second, though thought that I said 'putting a penis' in anything was a blushworthy moment

Soldato
Funny how people moan about kids growing up too fast, at the same time as bemoaning them for being immature, or too reliant on parents etc.

In any case, there are aspects of sex ed that should be taught to young kids: personal boundaries, consent etc. And there's no harm in talking about non-hetero relationships pretty early too - for most kids, hetero relationships will be normalised by witnessing their own parents, so educating on other types of relationships will help normalise those too.

Soldato
Thinking about my own two kids (boys) i would say the right age for starting school teaching would be around 9.

Before this age just let them be kids and play together. Dont make things wierd or complicated for them.

Soldato
I don't think they are taught about the mechanics of it all at 4, I believe that its just basic gender stuff, its ok to have mum and mum and some self protection, ie child protection.

All seems fine to me. We're not talking about putting condoms on bananas here.

Soldato
I tell you what I needed my school to tell me about sex or relationships at 4 years old....absolutely nothing.

The progressives are panicking, they want the state to get into the minds of these children before their right wing Islamic parents do.

Caporegime
I tell you what I needed my school to tell me about sex or relationships at 4 years old....absolutely nothing.

The progressives are panicking, they want the state to get into the minds of these children before their right wing Islamic parents do.

Do you have any ******* clue what is even being taught to them to make this statement?

Soldato
When you say 'sex education' what are you referring to? Do we actually have any idea how the subject is framed and taught or are we just assuming that teachers are breaking out the dildos, condoms and birthing videos?

Agreed. My understanding is that they are being introduced to sex education at that age, which is fine. The furore over this has come from the usual religious nutjobs and it's being deliberately misinterpreted by the usual outlets.

Soldato
OP
I heard two age ranges, 3 to 4, and 4 to 5, thats why I said around 4 years old. I didn't just grab the ages from thin air. It's whats being reported.

I'm all for teaching sex education, relationship advice, and I don't care if its LGBT stuff either. I just think that kinda stuff is better at secondary school in my opinion. Maybe the relationship part a few years earlier. But under 5's I think its wrong on a number of levels. Kids should be focusing on themselves and growing up.

Caporegime
Unable to make a judgement or even have an opinion without knowing exactly what they are being taught.

They're being taught that some people are boys, some people are girls. Some people aren't girls or boys. Some people who used to be girls might not be anymore and some people who were boys might not be any more.
Some girls love boys, some boys love girls. But some boys love boys and girls love girls.

Back
Top Bottom