Opinions on floor fitting

Associate
Agree with the others. That's horrible fitting- too long in some places- leading to the bubbles and short in others causing gaps. You could probably do better as a casual DIY-er.

Associate
OP
I think you already know the answer, don't pay them

Did they prep the floor at all?

Not 100% sure i was at work wife was in.

That’s pretty poor. Unless it cost less than £50 all in, I’d be asking them to put that right before paying.

Roughly £1400 all in

Is that clear silicone sealant running around the skirting boards?

Yes :/

This was the list of Highlights i sent to the company :

• Large areas of the flooring are not stuck down, meaning the floor moves when walking on it.
  • Quite a large amount of the edging cuts are cut short or jagged.
  • The under door strips are loose and bend up/almost come off when stood on.
  • In some of the corners the vinyl is already lifting up.
  • There are a few dents in the middle of the kitchen floor from where they stood the washing machine. My wife was informed that these would "pop back up". I don't think this is going to happen as they haven't changed in roughly 10 hours.
  • In a rather prominent area in the kitchen they have cut around a kitchen island, on the very corner is a tiny split. Although this split is tiny, it looks like it will split further over time. In this same area they have managed to get glue all over the hi gloss kitchen kick boards.
  • The whole of the floor in the utility room just looks "ripply" and "wavy"
  • Along the edges of the skirting boards the vinyl just waves up and down and has been finished with what looks like clear silicone which looks rather bad.
  • when re-fitting one of the doors they have banged the door into the roof and caused damage.
To be fair, their initial reply seems positive that they are going to try and resolve the issue. So I have my fingers crossed.

Soldato
I wouldn't be happy with that, very poor workmanship and finish.

Turn around to them and ask if they are proud of their work?

Soldato
yup, as others have said that is utterly gash and unacceptable.

slightly related, the wife insisted on that vinyl guff which we had laid instead of the wood flooring i wanted. it's much nicer to walk on in bare feet than cold, hard wood but other than that it is awful awful stuff. poor tear and dent resistance, you need to mop it every single day other wise it colour stains very easily. I've come to the conclusion that it's nice to look at but totally useless as a decent flooring - needless to say it won't be getting replaced with the same (and if you've kids it'll be destroyed in days if not hours!!)
even more annoying is that we paid more or less the same for the vinyl as we would have done for a wood flooring (in fact it was more expensive than some cheap wood floorings)

Associate
£1400?
I got my stairs and hallways (3 storey house) carpeted. The kitchen, middle bathroom and ensuite done with lino for £450!
Fair enough we went for cheap carpet as we had a new dog and don't plan to keep it down long.

Soldato
£1400. Holy crap - for lino!

I was shocked when I read that price too.

I had a quote recently for a very well regarded flooring person to do Luxury vinyl flooring at my house. He is based an hour away so wasn't gonna travel just to quote incase I didn't go ahead with the work, however he told me he would do the work for £60 per square meter including all subfloor preperation and supply and fit. No idea what area the OP was covering but that price is STEEP!

Soldato
Silly question but why wouldn't they take off all the skirting and kickboards and run the flooring underneath? Once you put everything back all the edges are well and truly hidden.

Back
Top Bottom