• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Associate
Yep 6.5GB/s coming with the second gen PCIE 4.0 drives. It was mentioned in one of the Tech Tubers Computex videos, may have been Hardware Unboxed.

Hmm.. Interesting if true. Haven't seen any references to such speeds, just those newer drives on the Phison PS5016-E16 controller, which seem to max out at 5GB/s.

And then the "raid" setups like the Aorus AIC Gen4, but that of course that needs 4x2TB SSDs running together in order to reach it's 15GB/s.

Will wait until Samsung get their new stuff out later in the year on different controllers to know for sure, I guess.

Associate
The previous-benefits-of-Moore's-Law stopping dead has meant I can spend my money elsewhere instead. Currently waiting for a worthy 4K monitor to appear. This will have the added benefit of GPU limiting my system! Maybe I can play with some custom 1:1 resolution pseudo ultra widescreen mode with lovely black bars while I wait for GPUs to catch up.

Soldato
Count me in the 2600k club, 4.5Ghz to minimise voltage. I haven't found a solid reason to upgrade as yet, but this definitelty upgrade time. Likely a full system refresh given I'm still rocking a ~ 12 year old Corsair HX620 PSU. Wow, seems like yesterday these were big news as 'quality' PSU's, surprising how time flies with work, kids etc.

I've been holding out on Zen 2 for 12 or 16 core madness, however given the launch pricing, that the chiplets are actually 2 x 4 core rather than native 8 core and the proposed pricing for the X570 boards I edging towards a 9700k and an Aorus Pro. Being from the old X2 / Opteron days I'd like to support AMD but it feels like at best AMD will at best have parity in gaming @ equal price in the higher end and I don't feel like beta testing a 'overclocked' 570 board which feels like PCI-E 4 is forced upon it. I had enough of that with the later Nfarce boards.

Most of the Intel security issues seem to be have been mitigated with series 8 and 9 unless I'm misinformed so tough call right now.

Soldato
Count me in the 2600k club, 4.5Ghz to minimise voltage. I haven't found a solid reason to upgrade as yet, but this definitelty upgrade time. Likely a full system refresh given I'm still rocking a ~ 12 year old Corsair HX620 PSU. Wow, seems like yesterday these were big news as 'quality' PSU's, surprising how time flies with work, kids etc.

I've been holding out on Zen 2 for 12 or 16 core madness, however given the launch pricing, that the chiplets are actually 2 x 4 core rather than native 8 core and the proposed pricing for the X570 boards I edging towards a 9700k and an Aorus Pro. Being from the old X2 / Opteron days I'd like to support AMD but it feels like at best AMD will at best have parity in gaming @ equal price in the higher end and I don't feel like beta testing a 'overclocked' 570 board which feels like PCI-E 4 is forced upon it. I had enough of that with the later Nfarce boards.

Most of the Intel security issues seem to be have been mitigated with series 8 and 9 unless I'm misinformed so tough call right now.

Not sure Z390 and a dead end regarding upgrades would be my first choice. PCIE 4.0 offers a lot options. Potential for 16 cores etc. The reviews will reveal all ;)

Soldato
Not sure Z390 and a dead end regarding upgrades would be my first choice. PCIE 4.0 offers a lot options. Potential for 16 cores etc. The reviews will reveal all ;)
Have Intel platforms ever had a real upgrade path. Rumour is that AM4 is coming to end of life, I figure 8 real cores should be solid for a few years at least and given the most I've spent on a GPU was around £300, I don't see me needing PCI-E 4 any time soon. Still hanging in for the reviews in July before making a final decision.... though likely to bag some memory in the short term.

Caporegime
cant see memory going up i think it will continue to drop. now days everything is literally web sales and cut throat. deals are a plenty. you only have to look at ssds and how much they are. memory will go down. looking forward to new actual benchmarks and of course pricing of the new cpus. pricing is going to be key on how well these amd cpus do. if you game for eg even a high ocd sandy will still do you yet for another year ingames. its just many want to upgrade but not really needed across the board.

Soldato
Rumour is that AM4 is coming to end of life

AM4, end of life? No.

Since March 2017, and the X370 based boards, until 2021 when it will be replaced with AM5(?), AMD still have the Zen3 release next year (2020) on the AM4 socket, although they could release another socket later in 2020 maybe Q3 with DDR5 support etc. It's hard to say, but the AM4 socket is sticking around for at least another 12-18 months.

Associate
Thats true AMD has confirmed support for the AM4 socket into 2020.
pic10.jpg

Soldato
I used to own a 3770k about 2 years ago which i sold on to a mate for roughly £130 i think, bought from OCUK towards the beginning of Ivy's life for a bargain price of £199.99, and corsair ram when it was like 20-30 for 8gb sticks of 1600mhz.

Mine was a golden chip that happily went to 5GHz within reasonable voltage and decent temps on a H100.

If it wasn't for the fact i was offered a decent price on some of my friend's parts and upgraded to a 7700k, i'd probably still be on the 3770k now, it was and still is a great chip for 2019.

Soldato
That to me says up to the start of 2020.

Perhaps the new socket will be a AM4+ and allow for older cpus to be installed as well.

Lets do some quick critical thinking, Zen2/Ryzen 3XXX, launches on July 7th 2019. There are 5 months left of 2019 after that, and the release cycle for the CPU's is at least 12 months, meaning that at least half of 2020 will be AM4. We also know that historically AMD have supported CPU across multiple sockets, and could easily launch Zen3/Ryzen 4XXX on AM4 or AM5(?) or both, the main sticking point being the DDR5 support.

Soldato
Lets do some quick critical thinking, Zen2/Ryzen 3XXX, launches on July 7th 2019. There are 5 months left of 2019 after that, and the release cycle for the CPU's is at least 12 months, meaning that at least half of 2020 will be AM4. We also know that historically AMD have supported CPU across multiple sockets, and could easily launch Zen3/Ryzen 4XXX on AM4 or AM5(?) or both, the main sticking point being the DDR5 support.

Ok, yeah. So lets say at the earliest Zen 3 is release Q3 or Q4 next year. I haven't heard of a Zen 2+ refresh being mentioned at all, I've only seen Zen 3 listed on road maps. I'd expect the next main architecture change cpu to be on a new socket, perhaps for the inclusion of DDR5 as you say. PCIe 5 isn't very far off either.

I think it'd be sensible to hold off buying a new board until a new socket is released as that would last a lot longer for upgrade cycles.

Soldato
Perhaps EOL is a little harsh for AM4 but I suspect Zen 2 will be the last chips released for it so it becomes a technical dead end.

I'm sure AMD will continual to sell boards and chips for 18m if not longer but 12 core, possibly 16 core Zen 2 on x570 is peak AM4.

They need a new platform, Intel is jumping to PCI-E 5, DDR5 is slated for 2020 and lots of cores in a single package needs bandwidth to really shine.

As ever with PC buying, safest to assume whatever high-end CPU/board combo you buy will be obsolete when you look at upgrades. For low to mid range there will always be higher tier family processors to drop in, assuming support.

Associate
4790k owner here and looking at AMD with interest but im wating for reviews as the 4790k does everything i need it do...still after 6 years i think ?

Associate
2600k here - been pondering over an upgrade for what feels like years but always ended up holding out.

I'm well out of the loop when it comes to Intel's latest offerings and Zen2, so I'll have to do some research but would like to finally make the jump this year.

My main use is gaming; I don't do any editing/ encoding and I can't ever see that changing - most of the games I play seem to like the higher core speeds, so I'll need to take that into account when the time does come...

Caporegime
Another member for the 2500k club. In the Q6600 and the 2500k, I think I’ve owned the best 2 CPU’s ever in existence.

Still bubbling along. I’ve nearly caved in and upgraded many times, but something niggling has always stopped me. Mostly, it’s been forum members telling me it’s not worth it. However, my CPU now runs very hot and can not be overclocked more than 500mhz without spazzing out. I think good reviews of Zen 3 will finally push me over the edge, I’ll upgrade and then I shall find a little sunny spot in the garden, create a little cross out of pencils and lay my old friend to rest in his little padded box.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust,
I lay you down, and there you’ll rust

Soldato
4790k owner. Nearly jumped on the Ryzen bandwagon when they first came out, bit still biding my time. Sorely tempted by all those extra cores...

Back
Top Bottom