Man of Honour
I was over in Normandy a few years ago, for D-Day, spent June 6th itself on the Beaches and in Arromanches and it was an amazing experience, talking to the the Veterans and just taking it all in.

Couldn't make it over this year as I initially planned so instead, I spent the day at Duxford today for the Daks over Duxford event.

23 Dakotas were meant to be operating from Duxford today. Largest formation of Daks since the 10 loaded with paratroopers. Other 13 were going to be in formation, and joined with more towards Normandy.

Sadly 2 went tech (1 yesterday and 1 today), so 21 took off and made it over.

Drop was successful

Anyway, Veterans are on the way over now on the special ferry.

Although, 2 arrived early, courtesy of the Red Devils. One of them is 94. Long video, but is the raw footage as far as I can tell. Jump happens at about 8 minutes.

Portsmouth had a ceremony, haven't seen it all, but it looks very well done.

And lets end on this. The Last Post played at Pegasus Bridge. The site of the the first infantry combat mission of D-Day.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Something I find kind of hard to get my head around - approx. the same amount of time has past since I was born until today as passed from D-Day until I was born.

Soldato
I was over for the 60th and my mum and grandad are on the boat from Portsmouth today. It's a very humbling experience seeing all the graves scattered around the area and talking to the vets. My grandad never really speaks about it and I don't blame him.

Caporegime
We need them to come back and fight for freedom online as none of the current generations care very much about increasing online censorship.

Caporegime
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-48525818/d-day-as-the-bbc-reported-it-on-radio-news

I really liked this video. Who would've thought that we would liberate all those countries and then we'd need to liberate ourselves from them
Yes but had we all been part of a union of nations in 1939 - including Germany - it’s highly unlikely we’d even be having this discussion.

For all it’s many many flaws, the EU and it’s predecessors has successfully prevented something starting in Europe again, namely another world war, something I think many have completely overlooked.

Caporegime
Here comes the disrespectful political discussion as ordered... seriously folks, just dont.

https://www.forces.net/news/wwii/more-half-public-do-not-know-what-d-day-survey-shows

When asked who the Allied Forces fighting on D-Day were, only 57% of people correctly chose Germany from a list of suggested enemies.

A poll by the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) and YouGov found only 49% of people questioned could select the correct term used to describe D-Day.

Awkward, seems to be an education problem here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes but had we all been part of a union of nations in 1939 - including Germany - it’s highly unlikely we’d even be having this discussion.

For all it’s many many flaws, the EU and it’s predecessors has successfully prevented something starting in Europe again, namely another world war, something I think many have completely overlooked.

No, just no. The EU hasn’t prevented WW3 kicking off in Europe. NATO and parking 4 armies in Germany for 50 years did.

Caporegime
We need them to come back and fight for freedom online as none of the current generations care very much about increasing online censorship.

Oh just **** off already.

Hopefully we’ll never need to put people in these situations again, selflessness like this is a dying trait. True heroes.

Caporegime
No, just no. The EU hasn’t prevented WW3 kicking off in Europe. NATO and parking 4 armies in Germany for 50 years did.
Pax Europaea (English: the European peace – after the historical Pax Romana), is the period of relative peace experienced by Europe in the period following World War II—often associated above all with the creation of the European Union (EU) and its predecessors.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pax_Europaea?wprov=sfti1

Why do you think the EU as an organisation won the Nobel Peace prize?

Associate
I know I will be a jibbering wreck when watching these commemorations as the emotion is just too much for me. It's the same on Remembrance Day I cry like a baby thinking of what everyone had to go through and the families torn apart.

Caporegime
I've already been blubbing during BBC Breakfast when Harry Billinge was telling his story.

Do the Americans do anything special for their part? Understandably, the BBC is concentrating on the two British beaches and you never really hear anything about what happened on the US/Canadian beaches.

Bit on their evening news (12m 24s onwards)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom