• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
All this talk of overclocking has got me struggling to remember when, if ever, AMD released a CPU with much if any overclocking headroom? I had Athlon 64 Venice, Barton and Thunderbird chips as well as an FX51 and none could ever overclock to be worth mentioning from what I recall. Contrast that to the 8600 Wolfdale, Nehalem i7920, Sandybridge, Haswell's the list of seriously overclockable Intel CPUs is endless. The same applies to a limited extent with Nvidia vs AMD and GPUs. AMD products always seem at or very close to their limit straight out of the box.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this has to me always added a bit or even a lot of 'value' to Intel's CPUs as you knew there was a fair chance of being able to get some extra performance for 'free' with a bit of tinkering.

Are AMD really going to start offering up something they never have in the past? It just seems to me to be wishful thinking to expect of even hope for much if any overclocking headroom at all with Ryzen 3000. I'm hoping to be wrong but I remember 'overclockers dream' and 'poor volta' statements which turned out to be the opposite of reality. I'm not expecting even with exotic cooling to see much more than 5% extra performance to be available and I doubt it will even be that high.

Permabanned
What are you talking about. Every cpu and made apart from the first ryzen's have offered massive overclocking.

To come up with a all new cpu that works as good as ryzen I Think we can be happy with first gen been like it was.

Caporegime
All this talk of overclocking has got me struggling to remember when, if ever, AMD released a CPU with much if any overclocking headroom? I had Athlon 64 Venice, Barton and Thunderbird chips as well as an FX51 and none could ever overclock to be worth mentioning from what I recall. Contrast that to the 8600 Wolfdale, Nehalem i7920, Sandybridge, Haswell's the list of seriously overclockable Intel CPUs is endless. The same applies to a limited extent with Nvidia vs AMD and GPUs. AMD products always seem at or very close to their limit straight out of the box.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this has to me always added a bit or even a lot of 'value' to Intel's CPUs as you knew there was a fair chance of being able to get some extra performance for 'free' with a bit of tinkering.

Are AMD really going to start offering up something they never have in the past? It just seems to me to be wishful thinking to expect of even hope for much if any overclocking headroom at all with Ryzen 3000. I'm hoping to be wrong but I remember 'overclockers dream' and 'poor volta' statements which turned out to be the opposite of reality. I'm not expecting even with exotic cooling to see much more than 5% extra performance to be available and I doubt it will even be that high.

9UM.gif

Thunderbirds, Mobile Bartons, Opterons all have been great for overclocking.

Soldato
I still think AMD are playing a much smarter game this time. Changing pricing to match market conditions, selling at prices that reflect their performance vs the competition. ....

That reminds me of something Jensen Huang said about why Nvidia cards were priced so high, or words to that effect, to paraphrase he said it's your competitor who sets your price. For example: If your product out performs your competitors product by 10% or so then you can charge 10-20% more, if your product performs 10% slower then you have to charge 10-20% less.

If AMD are intending to increase prices then they must be pretty confident of the performance relative to their competitor.

Soldato
That reminds me of something Jensen Huang said about why Nvidia cards were priced so high, or words to that effect, to paraphrase he said it's your competitor who sets your price. For example: If your product out performs your competitors product by 10% or so then you can charge 10-20% more, if your product performs 10% slower then you have to charge 10-20% less.

If AMD are intending to increase prices then they must be pretty confident of the performance relative to their competitor.

Spot on. Whilst Jensen is a bit annoying he knows how to get his customers to part with their cash. Do think @Gibbo has been mentoring him? ;)
A good businessman will never give you a great deal, he'll just make you think you've got a great deal!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Obviously he doesn't actually. Hence why Turing sales are terrible and Nvidia stock in tumbling.
Lol. Guys a billionaire. Just because one generation of his cards are not selling as well does not make him a bad businessman. And I am saying this as someone who is not particularly fond of him or his business practices....

Associate
What's the big hulking lump of plastic above the IO panel on all these new mobos?

I find it extremely ugly.

Actually a lot of those boards are just tacky imho with their "bling" and crap. It's a freaking PCB. When did that become a fashion accessory.

Since RGB became a thing

Soldato
What's the big hulking lump of plastic above the IO panel on all these new mobos?

I find it extremely ugly.

Actually a lot of those boards are just tacky imho with their "bling" and crap. It's a freaking PCB. When did that become a fashion accessory.
And pretty good bet that all that PR BS garbage bloats prices at least one price step.
What ever costs cents/pennies for manufacturers no doubt fast cost €/£ for us consumers.

Marketroids should be given full R. Lee Ermey treatment.

naaa we had people with Gigabyte and Msi boards asking if its case with ourr boards also. Besides that Gigabyte for 1 day uploaded OFFICIAL bios for theirs motherboards that was bugged and killed few cpus LOL

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/830039-recent-gigabyte-x370-bios-killing-cpus/
So what's this?
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/asus-x99-mb-would-fry-your-cpu-is-this-real.2443213/

Associate
Just going back to memory... what sort of latency figures are considered good then on current Ryzen? I ran that Aida memtest and I was getting 63ns, 0.8ns, 2.8ns and 9.2ns at 3200mhz (not XMP, but manually timed at CL14). I've not ran it since though with 3466/3600 or 3666...

Back
Top Bottom