Garage gate question :)

Soldato
I was thinking of getting my sliding gate converted to electric opening, the gate is around 6m in front of the garage and is where I sometimes park my car, on the occasions I park there thought it would make it more convenient.

My thoughts were it wouldn't cost that much, bung on a motor and a couple of sensor and the jobs a good one.

Got a quote yesterday, fell off my chair, £2k in total. Parts are around £900, £300 for metalwork to prepare the gate and the rest fitting which includes cutting a channel in the concrete to lay wires for the sensors and then running electricity from the garage to the motor.

I think I need to get a 2nd quote but Jesus does the above sound reasonable?

Soldato
I've recently done this (albeit swing gates) and to be honest over here (Ireland) you're looking at 3k with power and wiring already in place.

I did most of mine myself, so ultimately it depends on A.) How much you're willing to do yourself B.) Whether you have a flexible electrician who you can work with and C.) How much you're willing to compromise

Specifically with regards to C, you can theoretically put in cheaper kit and upgrade it later, but only you can ascertain the risk.

It's also worth commenting on safety, I believe sliding gates are a higher safety risk, particularly I remember seeing horrible stories about kids getting trapped in the gap.

Further comment would really rely on some pics and an indication of how long the cable run is to the consumer unit.

Also going to move this to Home and Garden - more relevant expertise lies there.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
If your gate has a good enough edge to roll a tyre all the way across then surely you can make it yourself with a mini moto, some motion sensors or even remote fob electronic stuff from amazon and a raspberry pi maybe? Then tack the cabling with chicken wire for extra ghetto-ness :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I have two mates -one with a slider and the other has twin 5 bar steel gates - Both owned their own steel fabricating company - I like the twin five bar gates but they do take up drive space and also they are not gypo proof - they bumped a van into them one night and broke off the small rotating screw thing - He then paid over grand to have new openers fitted.
The slider is neat and takes up less garden but you do need a hedge or fence to hide it- Only problem is rubbish blowing in the wind can cause it to stop - Overall I think 2k is reasonable in this day and age - no one moans when banks rip you off but moan like hell at a tradesman.
I am neither and get ripped off by both. :)

Soldato
OP
The installer did mention photo sensors but until mentioned here had no idea what they were for. Understand now that it’s a safety device.

He also had an electrician with him when he came to take a look and also commented that others maybe cheaper but he doesn’t skimp on quality.

I should add that this is the same guy who originally installed the gate and electric roller shutter in my garage and I have no complaints about them even though they were installed some 12 years ago. Just thought he might be trying it on as I was repeat business. To be fair to him he did say 12 years ago that another £500 would have electrified the gate but at that time I didn’t ever think I would use the space/garage.

Back
Top Bottom