• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Could Tease Its Next-Gen Ampere GPU on 7nm at GTC 19

Soldato
When these come out even more expensive than the 2000 series and people buy them, These people are the problem and reason why Nvidia is increasing prices by a ridiculous amount every gen.

Soldato
When these come out even more expensive than the 2000 series and people buy them, These people are the problem and reason why Nvidia is increasing prices by a ridiculous amount every gen.

Then AMD needs to do its damn job and bring out cheaper higher performing GPUs. The Radeon 7 has put no pressure on the 2080 to drop price And no pressure to make Nvidia release a 3080 that’s cheaper than the 2080

Soldato
Then AMD needs to do its damn job and bring out cheaper higher performing GPUs. The Radeon 7 has put no pressure on the 2080 to drop price And no pressure to make Nvidia release a 3080 that’s cheaper than the 2080

Yep its a side grade at best for a heck of a lot of peeps like me with a 1080ti who don't want to pay double for a 2080ti

Soldato
I think we need to see what next gen brings. Prices this gen have been exceptionally high but we don't yet know if this is simply because of bringing RT to market, including of course profiteering because they brought it to market first. I very much doubt prices will rise by a similar % next gen.
Ultimately it's the lack of competition and NV knows there's a good market for their products and whatever we think of RT, it's an important breakthrough. People can do what they want - they're not the problem. NV is like any other company in the same position.

I can't imagine a 3080 Ti being anymore expensive to be honest, especially if they can supply the market with more higher end GPU's (Ti's are or at least were in short supply) and supply more GPU's that actually work :)

Caporegime
AMD is quite happy for nV to push its prices up.

AMD is subsequently then more than happy to increase its own prices. And customers are happy to pay the new higher prices. This is what the last few years have shown.

Why would Navi be any different. A 2070 perf Navi is going to cost ~2070 prices. Doesn't even matter that AMD are late to the party.

Associate
AMD is quite happy for nV to push its prices up.

AMD is subsequently then more than happy to increase its own prices. And customers are happy to pay the new higher prices. This is what the last few years have shown.

Why would Navi be any different. A 2070 perf Navi is going to cost ~2070 prices. Doesn't even matter that AMD are late to the party.
totally agree with you :p:rolleyes: thanks to nvidia

Soldato
Ampere needs loads more RT cores.
Tried the Quake 2 RT demo earlier. 1000 FPS OpenGL rendering(probably a limit), 42-48 RTX rendering :p (2080 @ 1440P). Initial thought was that they've shot themselves in the foot releasing this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ampere needs loads more RT cores.

More RT cores will be very nice.

Tried the Quake 2 RT demo earlier. 1000 FPS OpenGL rendering(probably a limit), 42-48 RTX rendering :p (2080). Initial thought was that they've shot themselves in the foot releasing this.

42-48 fps on RTX seemed very low for a 2080, I have 2080 and had played Quake II RTX got 60-80 fps, ray tracing is very stunning. :cool:

Thank to Nvidia for released this, it just you shot yourself in both feets. It could be CPU bottlenecked if you have Ryzen CPU.

Soldato
More RT cores will be very nice.

42-48 fps on RTX seemed very low for a 2080, I have 2080 and had played Quake II RTX got 60-80 fps, ray tracing is very stunning. :cool:

Thank to Nvidia for released this, it just you shot yourself in both feets. It could be CPU bottlenecked if you have Ryzen CPU.
Yeah, in fairness, it's good to see and they've given us it for free but....well, yeah :).
What resolution? I just tried default first by loading game and playing, which was 1440P but getting over 60 FPS at 1080P with global illum on high (vs medium when I tried 1440P). CPU used is a stock 9900K. 1080P and medium global illum probably best compromise using a 2080

Last edited:
Soldato
A 20 odd year old game running at only 42-48fps on a 2080, absolutely PMSL! :D :D :D
It's up to 80FPS now at 1080P with global illumination on medium, ha :p.
Nice that they've done it but does make it clear how much work is needed, both from the software and hardware side. I assume they're using a lot more of something than BFV & other recent RT games.

Edited as put 1440P instead of 1080P

Last edited:
Soldato
Even with RTX in quake 2 it just looks like a polished up turd and at 1440p you can't even maintain 60fps to boot. Is it just me or is this just a pointless exercise. A £600 card struggling in a game that looks so bad for this day and age just makes no sense to me.

Edit: Loadsa beat me to it.

I see Athlon had to try and blame AMD for the low fps. He can't post without AMD doing something wrong.

Back
Top Bottom