Does your other half appreciate good sound?

Soldato
It took a little while but these days my GF insists the amp is turned on before watching anything on TV. If the amp is left off by accident and it reverts to TV sound she notices instantly.

My friends wife never turns their amp on and she watches everything without. Whereas he insists its on as he appreciates the difference.

Do you think our other halves just resent our expensive purchases and don't want to accept it wasnt a waste of our joint savings? :D (joke. Maybe.)

Soldato
Nope, nor do most of my family. They'd be happy with mono i think.
Same goes for people happy to download crappy copies of films, they think im mad that i'd rather buy the bluray, when i explain its mostly for the better sound they look at me like i have two heads. Sound quality is never focused on like image quality i find. Shame, the sound is just as important as the image to me.

Associate
Nope. I had to demo the difference of TV speakers vs. 5.1 Sonos setup, and even then she was like "meh".:eek:

Same for picture quality, she'll quite happily sit 4 foot away from our 42" plasma watching Sky 1, I'll come in and put it at HD and she'll be like "meh". :eek::eek:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I think my missus would notice the difference, but I don't think she actually cares.
She seems quite happy to listen to an Alexa unit, despite having a Meridian fronted system in the lounge.
My son's not much better. He also wanted an Alexa unit, despite being already having put a Pi3 running Roon, decent but old Kenwood integrated amp and a fairly good pair of Ruarks.

Associate
It took a little while but these days my GF insists the amp is turned on before watching anything on TV. If the amp is left off by accident and it reverts to TV sound she notices instantly.

My friends wife never turns their amp on and she watches everything without. Whereas he insists its on as he appreciates the difference.

Do you think our other halves just resent our expensive purchases and don't want to accept it wasnt a waste of our joint savings? :D (joke. Maybe.)

turn hdmi control on ?

Soldato
OP
turn hdmi control on ?

It is. It comes on 99% of the time but on occasion it doesn't seem to wake up properly. It's rare though.

I had atmos on watching Chernobl episode 4 this week and my missus was more worried about annoying neighbours than appreciating sounds. It's funny how men seem more enthusiastic about tech than women.

OcUK Staff
Mine is loving the great sound for both music and TV.

She streams music through Tidal / Roon to only high end speakers or if watching TV does so through minimum of high quality stereo speakers. She really appreciates good sound quality.

Caporegime
i have the AVR to run on automatically. sometimes it doesn't though and she doesn't bother to turn it on.

also she never turns the sub on. i have it on a smart plug with an alexa in the room. so you don't even need to move to turn it on or off.

Soldato
When you're invited round to a friend's house for a "cinema night" as they've just bought a 65" tellybox, even though they have a bluray player it's an all in one 5.1 surround system from a supermarket special with the bass turned right up and the left channel speaker behind you as it's on a stand. A PS3 and Z5500 would have been a vast improvement for small but powerful affordable speakers. I struggle with processing speech in loud environments so I have the centre slightly louder on my setup but finding more films are starting to put more of the action/music through the centre channel.

Soldato
i have the AVR to run on automatically. sometimes it doesn't though and she doesn't bother to turn it on.

also she never turns the sub on. i have it on a smart plug with an alexa in the room. so you don't even need to move to turn it on or off.
Same, sometimes ARC is a bit dodgy so doesnt connect to amp. I get home to find the TV sound on which to be fair isnt terrible but not exactly the same as a full speaker Atmos setup.

Associate

that's mums for you ! :D

Soldato
Educate the stupid. The only hope for mankind. Hear the difference, see the difference. Left Ignored means imited intellectual behaviour. You can't fix that

Soldato
My better half moved in over a year ago and put away my sub as it looked horrible in the corner. Then told me do we really need speakers? And when we move house no speakers. I think she would be happy with mono sound via pocket speaker.

I told her, I'm having good sound or another girlfriend..

Soldato
My better half moved in over a year ago and put away my sub as it looked horrible in the corner. Then told me do we really need speakers? And when we move house no speakers. I think she would be happy with mono sound via pocket speaker.

I told her, I'm having good sound or another girlfriend..

Yeah i think it needs some compromise.

My wife would much rather my speakers were shoved in a corner where they got put when we moved house but she accepted i love music and wanted them positioned properly. We compromised by me buying some new speakers she can tolerate.

Associate
Mine has said she can tell the difference from the cheapo 5.1 setup in the living room to the stereo in the study that uses a budget amp and DALI speakers. Like I, she prefers the sound from the DALI's.

Back
Top Bottom