What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
...the walk of shame to Screwfix to get an additional set of spring compressors after grinding the bolts off the drop-links and pulling the shock assembly. On the up-side, Hilti make decent spring compressors compared to the single hook draper set I had.

Caporegime
...the walk of shame to Screwfix to get an additional set of spring compressors after grinding the bolts off the drop-links and pulling the shock assembly. On the up-side, Hilti make decent spring compressors compared to the single hook draper set I had.

Mine are "laser" cheapy Halfords specials. I've used them to compress oh... 16 springs. I haven't died yet but I do not enjoy the process. :p

Soldato
Mine are "laser" cheapy Halfords specials. I've used them to compress oh... 16 springs. I haven't died yet but I do not enjoy the process. :p

Multi-hook seem more stable than the single hook style TBH. I used the drapers on my Roadster, they were OK, but the RAV was having non of it

Unfortunately I need to pull them apart again to replace the lower insulator - kicking myself for not just ordering ‘everything’ on principal, but at least this time everything will come apart without a fight - I may hold off and order some H&R’s as the existing springs have seen better days.

Caporegime
96091490-E1-FC-4-AFC-8-EF7-0-EFEE6-CB2165.jpg

New summer tyres. Wanted something a bit heavier duty than those that came with it. Yes the car (and tyres) need a wash. ;)

Associate
Mine are two hook, but to be honest it's sometimes impossible to get both hooks securely on the coil, depends on the spring

This is true. Changing the springs on the front of the Z4 was interesting. One side compressor could barely do anything as the coils are in such a way that you can only hook onto coils next to each other, so one compressor does most of the work and you end up trying to seat a wonky spring.

A lesson in patience for sure!

Soldato
I'm currently trying hard to get my old mini back into action. I've built a rain proof work space using some old scaffolding and a big tarp. Also ordered a load of roll bars to fit, while it's stripped out.

mini1.jpg

mini3.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Finished putting my engine in yesterday. The 1.5L engine beats the pants off of the 1.3L; **** me it goes like stink even on the standard ECU.
Going to be deadly with a hybrid TD04 & remap. Also never realised how much I needed a screamer pipe in my life :D Had some pretty hilarious looks (yes I'm a child)

Only downside was the £870 it cost to insure it. :eek: Age 28 with 10+ years NCB

umVps18.jpg

Caporegime
Finished putting my engine in yesterday. The 1.5L engine beats the pants off of the 1.3L; **** me it goes like stink even on the standard ECU.
Going to be deadly with a hybrid TD04 & remap. Also never realised how much I needed a screamer pipe in my life :D Had some pretty hilarious looks (yes I'm a child)

Only downside was the £870 it cost to insure it. :eek: Age 28 with 10+ years NCB

umVps18.jpg

Nice! What 0-60 time are you expecting with this and are you going to dyno it?

Associate
Nice! What 0-60 time are you expecting with this and are you going to dyno it?
Honestly no idea as to 0-60 but it will be quick, problem lies with traction due to the weight of the car which is around 910KG.

It's going on the dyno for mapping after I reach 800 - 1000 miles. Hoping for around 310 - 325bhp with around 300lb-ft of torque to match. Also have to take care with 3rd gear as they are prone to stripping the gear at high load levels.

Caporegime
Just came the closest I've ever come to having a 'proper' car crash. 70MPH bit of road, I was going a hair more than that but nothing crazy, inside lane traffic suddenly slowed for some reason and someone who was probably going about 40MPH slower than me suddenly pulled into the mass of open space in front of me in my lane, and I had just about enough distance to not hit her by absolutely piling it into the brakes like I've never had to before in my life, and was probably 4 inches from hitting her.

Slightly shaken up. But hey I should probably have considered that someone pulling out of the slow moving lane would be a distinct possibility, and adjusted my speed accordingly, so it was partly my fault for being a tit...

Still, heartbeat, very fast...

Caporegime
Just came the closest I've ever come to having a 'proper' car crash. 70MPH bit of road, I was going a hair more than that but nothing crazy, inside lane traffic suddenly slowed for some reason and someone who was probably going about 40MPH slower than me suddenly pulled into the mass of open space in front of me in my lane, and I had just about enough distance to not hit her by absolutely piling it into the brakes like I've never had to before in my life, and was probably 4 inches from hitting her.

Slightly shaken up. But hey I should probably have considered that someone pulling out of the slow moving lane would be a distinct possibility, and adjusted my speed accordingly, so it was partly my fault for being a tit...

I had the same in the past but was driving 2.5 tonnes of pickup truck and she was in a c1. Stupid woman had 2 babies in the back. If I hadn't slammed the anchors on in anticipation those kids wouldn't have been looking too pretty.

Man of Honour

Riding a bike teaches you this very quickly unless you want to become pink mist, always expect someone to pull out without looking as they're flapping that they're going to have to slow down but spot all the free space in front of them and forget that there's a good chance it's not free space behind or indeed to the side of them.

Soldato
Riding a bike teaches you this very quickly unless you want to become pink mist, always expect someone to pull out without looking as they're flapping that they're going to have to slow down but spot all the free space in front of them and forget that there's a good chance it's not free space behind or indeed to the side of them.

Indeed, nothing beats a stoppie/endo at getting your heart rate up on your morning commute :D

Soldato

been there a million times when cycling through london! after doing it for years I felt like I could see things happening before they did :D

Man of Honour
been there a million times when cycling through london! after doing it for years I felt like I could see things happening before they did :D
You certainly develop a very handy sixth sense, it's saved me in the car a couple of times as well when it's blatantly obvious what the donkey in the other car is about to do but even they don't know it yet.

Soldato

Had one of those yesterday, not as close as yours, but the crucial difference was that the car who wandered into my lane had absolutely no reason to do so as his lane was clear in front of him. Gave him a couple of flashes in the hope he'd move back, instead he brake tested me and gave me the finger. Unfortunately, he'd failed to notice the police car about 1m from my back bumper. I reckon the officer would have overlooked the pulling out as that sort of thing happens every journey here, but he was most unhappy about the brake test. Came back the same way a couple of hours later and they were loading the guy's car onto a recovery truck, guessing he didn't have tax / insurance / license. Karma :p

Associate
Had one of those yesterday, not as close as yours, but the crucial difference was that the car who wandered into my lane had absolutely no reason to do so as his lane was clear in front of him. Gave him a couple of flashes in the hope he'd move back, instead he brake tested me and gave me the finger. Unfortunately, he'd failed to notice the police car about 1m from my back bumper. I reckon the officer would have overlooked the pulling out as that sort of thing happens every journey here, but he was most unhappy about the brake test. Came back the same way a couple of hours later and they were loading the guy's car onto a recovery truck, guessing he didn't have tax / insurance / license. Karma :p

Everybody loves a happy ending :D

Back
Top Bottom