What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I bonded some plastic beading along 3 shelves and a countertop inside a walk-in cupboard due to the edges of the flat surfaces being ragged and impossible to smooth down with caulking/filler and sander. Masks the issues perfectly and finishes them nicely!

Man of Honour
Will it be reopened for its intended purpose?
Yes eventually. This is just a routine task keeping it under control as much as possible. The charity is hoping for Lottery funding to be able to restore all the locks and put them back into use again with a tow path as well. Keeping it clear helps to prevent further damage and will hopefully give an idea to the Lottery on what it can look like.

Tea Drinker
Don
Some cladding finished, the left is the extension, the middle would have been old plastic and the right was painted softwood.

Took the opportunity to clad all three areas in new plastic with the neighbour happily taking my offer to do his side at cost.

Quite fiddly as we didn't want to use all the horrible trims that make all the areas look like picture frames.

uvKpH8B.jpg

Hopefully finish this side tomorrow

CpfrwYZ.jpg

Soldato
I was removing skirting boards in prep for skimming room but the plaster came off easily so I decided to strip the whole wall back to bare brick. Gonna go for an industrial look instead and get some brick cleaner and sealant over the weekend.

Soldato
That looks good Macca. it's a shame you can't get super long lengths so you could have avoided having to join them.

I wonder why in the UK we use PVC cladding and windows etc and in the US they have some sort of fibre glass cladding that has a wood grain effect added to it. I personally think the US stuff looks a lot better than our shiny PVC stuff. I bet someone could become quite rich if they manage to popularise it over here.

Soldato
You can get all sorts of composite (flat or grain effect) in all different colours and even concrete cladding panels. Suppose it's what people (or their architect or builder) know about / like and specify ...

@Maccapacca - did you not fancy infilling with brick ?

Tea Drinker
Don
That looks good Macca. it's a shame you can't get super long lengths so you could have avoided having to join them.

I wonder why in the UK we use PVC cladding and windows etc and in the US they have some sort of fibre glass cladding that has a wood grain effect added to it. I personally think the US stuff looks a lot better than our shiny PVC stuff. I bet someone could become quite rich if they manage to popularise it over here.

5m lengths only really, the big any was 8m, difficult to manage floppy 8m of cladding and not much call for it. Not many people have 8m frontage, it's only because I did the neighbours as well.

Originally it was painted softwood which is easy to join without nasty joints plus the upvc expands and contracts so you have to allow movement although I question that because it's nailed every 600mm. Probably because butt joints would look awful. It chipped at each cut unless you're really careful.

You can get all sorts of composite (flat or grain effect) in all different colours and even concrete cladding panels. Suppose it's what people (or their architect or builder) know about / like and specify ...

@Maccapacca - did you not fancy infilling with brick ?

Planning was matching existing. The whole street is either white cladding or hung tiles.

Soldato
A sharp block plane cleans the edges up well if a saw chips them, but it's probably not a good idea to butt join them anyway as any movement will end up with a gap opening up id imagine.

Tea Drinker
Don
As in planning insisted /stipulated or what was on your planning drawings? Think, personally, I would have spoken with the planning officer about brick infill or another colour cladding

Just saying brick cladding is all well and good but it starts above the windows and would need a shelf angle. The cladding plus batten is only 25mm bricks are 112mm plus you'd have to drill and fix ties, All the window reveals would be very deep and require all the cills replacing to throw the water out and the soffit dimension would change.

Brick slips would be a fortune

It's all well and good saying I'd rather just brick infill but there's so much to consider that would take a £1800 job to something costing £5k plus and the neighbour probably wouldn't want to pay his share.

Tea Drinker
Don
A sharp block plane cleans the edges up well if a saw chips them, but it's probably not a good idea to butt join them anyway as any movement will end up with a gap opening up id imagine.

I reckon there's no movement and it's an excuse to cover up bad workmanship with trims :p It's nailed every 600mm, if it moves it'll twist round the nails first and buckle.

Soldato
Just saying brick cladding is all well and good but it starts above the windows and would need a shelf angle. The cladding plus batten is only 25mm bricks are 112mm plus you'd have to drill and fix ties, All the window reveals would be very deep and require all the cills replacing to throw the water out and the soffit dimension would change.

Brick slips would be a fortune

It's all well and good saying I'd rather just brick infill but there's so much to consider that would take a £1800 job to something costing £5k plus and the neighbour probably wouldn't want to pay his share.

Point taken but there are other options with the brick and render or a different colour cladding

Was just curious if it had been investigated as it's such a large portion of the frontage of your property .....

Associate
Picked up my car from the body shop after it was crashed in to, and transferred a 2 TB hard drive from an old Pace Sky HD Box to a newer one.

Associate
Not today but likely a tomorrow job, i've got to replace a syphon in a cistern as the washer thing has gone bad so flushing does nowt. Looks like a fun job, will likely replace it with one of those DuoFlow Turbo88 jobbies so if it goes bad again the cistern doesn't need separating from the bowl since the syphon itself splits into two parts. Any tips in advance other than changing the doughnut whilst I'm there?

Caporegime
Finally decorated the hall, stairs, and landing. An ABSOLUTE pig of a job, especially painting the staircase spindles, but so glad it's done.

zZ6oiirh.jpg

It was nasty before, dirty walls and cracked plaster with a dark shiny varnish on the bannister. Feels like a new house now.

New carpets and curtains tomorrow.

Soldato
Finally decorated the hall, stairs, and landing. An ABSOLUTE pig of a job, especially painting the staircase spindles, but so glad it's done.

zZ6oiirh.jpg

It was nasty before, dirty walls and cracked plaster with a dark shiny varnish on the bannister. Feels like a new house now.

I feel your pain. I did 3 stories of these at the same time covering over 75 spindles.

Yours looks fantastic, I really like the contrast.

Associate

zZ6oiirh.jpg

Yep, that looks reet good!

Back
Top Bottom