**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
4S is the successor to the Pilot Supersport, PS4 is available in smaller sizes and is comparable to the Supersport. the non S is a great tyre, but the 4S is obviously the better tyre and at more cost because of it. Both are better in the wet/colf than the Supersport.

Soldato
The 4S isn't available in my size so I was wondering about moving away from my Conti PC6 to either the SC6 (now that they've come down in price) or the PS4 once it's time to change.

daz

daz

Soldato
Just looking at swapping my fronts on my GLC43, it suffers from the 'crabbing' issue at low speed and hard lock, resulting in a skipping sensation. The fronts are nearly worn down now so thinking of changing to all 4 over to winter spec (guessing "all season" is what I need?) - anyone used Michelin Cross Climates? Other option I've found is the Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS.

Soldato
Just looking at swapping my fronts on my GLC43, it suffers from the 'crabbing' issue at low speed and hard lock, resulting in a skipping sensation. The fronts are nearly worn down now so thinking of changing to all 4 over to winter spec (guessing "all season" is what I need?) - anyone used Michelin Cross Climates? Other option I've found is the Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS.
Do you live in the southern hemisphere, because I'm not sure if you've noticed but we're well entrenched in Spring here in good old Blighty!

daz

daz

Soldato
Using 'all season' tyres is supposed to counteract the crabbing somewhat. Maybe I'll just get the Latitude Sport 3s again.

Soldato
From what I read online recently it seems that new tyres basically only mask the crabbing issue because they are slightly more flexible, and all seasons do it better than summer tyres, but it's particularly pronounced on the GLC43 because of the asymmetric tyre sizes. Also apparently worse with the larger wheels. I just watched some videos. I would be deeply unhappy with that and wouldn't accept the car full stop to be honest! I expect it's related to issues with either the front or centre diff. We had a similar issue with my wife's Evoque and took it back to Land Rover. It was a known fault and rectified by fully flushing the Haldex system and refilling it. It's not happened again since.

Soldato
Well, about 5k into my ownership of the AS5's, and I'm very happy with them. They feel nice and smooth for when I'm not hoofing it (which is most of the time as this 2015 Focus 1.5 TDI is for moving the kids around), but when I do hoof it, there is plenty grip available. More so than the capabilities of the car, or me really. I had PS4's on my Edition 30, and while that was obviously a different animal, on the same roads, I could carry similar sorts of speeds through the corners. So a thumbs up from me. They feel better than the AS3's I had on one of my old 330i's, so thats a nice improvement.

As for wear. After 5,000 miles (roughly), I just measured 7mm across the fronts and rears. Seems decent to me, and VERY similar wear rates to the PS4's I had on the ED30.

Basically, given the choice between these and PS4's, I would be happy with either, and would go on price at this point.

Associate
Need two new tyres on my Abarth.

Currently factory fit P Zero Nero all round - worth sticking with these or going for Michelin PS4?

Price difference is negligible with the current offer on Michelins on Blackcircles.

Soldato
Got a puncture in the rear drivers side on my Z4 23i. Now looking to replace all 4 run flats with normal tyres. Does anyone have any suggestions? They are 17 inch rims.

Man of Honour
The go-to is obvs the Michelin PS4. Goodyear eagle AS5 seems to be well-liked by the forumers that have them...
Of course depends on how much you want to spend.

Back
Top Bottom