• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Who's still hopeful the 12c 3900X is going to be very good for gaming? I intend to build my PC to last just as long as my 2600k system has lasted, so I feel the 12c might give the edge over the 12c for a longer future.

Associate
Lol............100% the correct answer. The V4 will be on my drive before anyone on this forum has a 3900x though.......................but i have waited since 2008 for a Ducati V4 that i could actually afford (desmosedici costs about £1/4m now). Looking forward to going fast on a V4 Ducati for the first time :D

Haha, your last few posts lol

Soldato
Who's still hopeful the 12c 3900X is going to be very good for gaming? I intend to build my PC to last just as long as my 2600k system has lasted, so I feel the 12c might give the edge over the 12c for a longer future.

I am as I would like a system to last me a number of years again. This is why I don't mind hanging off a few months for prices to drop a little.

Here's a link to a good (albeit sponsored) read about X570 boards from Asus.

https://edgeup.asus.com/2019/the-x570-motherboard-guide-ryzen-to-victory-with-pci-express-4-0/

I tripped across it when looking for information about the Pro WS X570-ACE, which by the way looks excellent especially the slot layout for workstation use, only thing it is lacking is networking above 1Gbps. :)

I'm still unsure about Asus stuff due to experiencing their "customer support" first hand on a couple of items and reading some threads on here showing the same experiences still going on.

Soldato
For games of few years from now with browsers etc on background it's very likely going to be better than 8c/16t.
For current games there are likely variations from one game to another.
On one side there are separate chiplets with their communication latency.
On other side there's more L3 per enabled core and how well L3 of other chiplet is accessible/at what latency.

Going to be interesting reviews.

Soldato
I am as I would like a system to last me a number of years again. This is why I don't mind hanging off a few months for prices to drop a little.

I'm still unsure about Asus stuff due to experiencing their "customer support" first hand on a couple of items and reading some threads on here showing the same experiences still going on.

I tend to only use the Workstation stuff, like the WS X299 SAGE/10G or prior to that the X99-E-10G WS and the support is generally OK, having experienced the absolute utter tripe service with some GTX 1080Ti's I am glad that I don't have to deal with them often for the consumer products, not to mention the comedy costs they have (irrelevant for the workstation stuff).

Still it is a good article, even if it just helps you understand more what is available across the boards, and how to compare them against other manufacturers should you opt to go for an X570 board at some point. :)

Soldato
For games of few years from now with browsers etc on background it's very likely going to be better than 8c/16t.
For current games there are likely variations from one game to another.
On one side there are separate chiplets with their communication latency.
On other side there's more L3 per enabled core and how well L3 of other chiplet is accessible/at what latency.

Going to be interesting reviews.

It is going to be very interesting. If they've got the latency under control it could prove to be extremely good. Very much looking forward to some real world figures from them all.

Soldato

In a similar position. My strategy is go for the 3800X now as it seems optimal and save a few quid. Skip the 12 core, then later on once the 16 core is out, may be Ryzen 4000, drop that in and max out the motherboard. More likely that in a few years the newer software will be scaling better beyond 8 cores.

Permabanned
Also consider the clocks and TDPs of the 8 core parts

3800X: 3.9GHz, 4.5GHz, 105W
3700X: 3.6GHz, 4.4GHz, 65W

Why would 300Mhz base and 100MHz boost warrant an extra 40W TDP on the 3800X? It can't be from junk/leaky silicon because why would you put that into the more expensive model? But that extra headroom would give XFR significantly more room to do its thing and ramp those clocks up.
You seen Video I posted ?? Possible that one uses 2 4 core chiplets... SADLY.

Associate

Why would 300Mhz base and 100MHz boost warrant an extra 40W TDP on the 3800X? It can't be from junk/leaky silicon because why would you put that into the more expensive model? But that extra headroom would give XFR significantly more room to do its thing and ramp those clocks up.

Those differences are quite similar to the 2nd Gen. My 2700 at stock when rendering only runs 3.3GHz on all cores. So, i'd assume the 3700X will only run at 3.6GHz all cores. Similarly, the 3800X will oc better cos like the 2700X it is better silicon wise but higher tdp.

Associate
first and foremost dude/dudette it was not my intention to question your intelligence - I thought that portion of my post was so glaringly obvious as a 'switcheroo' that it was clearly tongue in cheek. 100% genuine apologies if it came across as anything other that a joke. in my defence it sounded funnier in my head. believe it or not you have come across as one of the more sane rational and intelligent posters in here - and i'll stand by that every bit as resolutely as i'll stand by my condemnation of the likes of AdoredTV (<<<<joke joke joke :p)
Thankyou for the clarification, sarcasm in text is hard enough to pick, tongue in cheek is nigh on impossible :D

tell you what, **** AdoredTV and all the rest of them (**** me too and you three for that matter :p) - lets just bask in the glory that is almost certainly going to be amd ripping the cpu crown squarely from intels head. :D

i'll finish again though by apologising if the opening part of my previous post came across as a dig or a pop at your intelligence. that was not my intention, honestly.
All good, guess it's only a couple of weeks till I can watch everyone else buy a damn good processor...

Associate

It might be 4,5GHz is on the cross point where you need a lot more voltage, look at the 480 vs 580 vs 590 (I dont this is the case myself)
It might be leakier silicon overcloking higher
It might be boost on 3800X are much higher than that 300mhz
It might be million other things

@humbug
Ryzen 3600 3 Cores Per CCX

I freaking knew it... There was no chance that yeld was this this high that they ware getting 6+ working cores on 8 core chiplets. so im back to 3700x vs 3800x theory of 2 chiplets on one of them !!!!
AMD can make 5x size Mi60/Vega 7 but cant make working 8 core chiplets for cpus, yeah right.....

You seen Video I posted ?? Possible that one uses 2 4 core chiplets... SADLY.
Why do you keep repeating this when its NOT TRUE? Look at the cache sizes, its single die. Why would amd sell 3 die cpus with that low price when they cant throw those dies on Epyc and make some real money?
https://www.amd.com/de/products/specifications/compare/processors/8451,8456,8446,8441,8436

Back
Top Bottom