*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Soldato
Ruiz is asking for $50m if the fight is in the UK, not sure Matchroom would even entertain that kind of figure.

IBF will probably strip Ruiz anyway within the next few weeks if he doesn't fight the mandatory.
Surely the terms will already be agreed from the rematch clause in the initial contract, not a chance Eddie would have let him have the ability to negotiate his own terms.

Permabanned
@ScreeeechIf the rumours are true that he got laid out in sparring, took the clip around the ear in the fight and then comes out with asking why he feels like that during the fight, suggests he was more than likely suffering from some sort of concussion.

Pretty dodgy then if he actually did get knocked out in sparring as it’s a month before you are allowed to spar / fight again I think.

There is never any sparring towards the latter part of any boxer's camp. If he got laid out in sparring, it would've been early on and the only relevance that would have in the fight is his confidence/mindset, not his brain's health. Zab Judah and several others fully knocked out Floyd during spars and did Floyd ever let that get to him? Did he ****. If Ruiz concussed AJ during the fight (which is probable) it was down to Ruiz' punches and AJ's lack of skills, and concussions have happened in countless fights and it's a completely legit way of beating an opponent.

You know...I heard AJ took some body shots in sparring and they were ouchie, so when Ruiz hit him to the body it made AJ have flashbacks :(

Last edited:
Associate
IBF will probably strip Ruiz anyway within the next few weeks if he doesn't fight the mandatory.

I was thinking this as well where does the belts go if this happens? will Joshua be able to get all 3 belts back in the rematch or will he have to fight for the vacant belt again

Associate
There is never any sparring towards the latter part of any boxer's camp. If he got laid out in sparring, it would've been early on and the only relevance that would have in the fight is his confidence/mindset, not his brain's health. Zab Judah and several others fully knocked out Floyd during spars and did Floyd ever let that get to him? Did he ****. If Ruiz concussed AJ during the fight (which is probable) it was down to Ruiz' punches and AJ's lack of skills, and concussions have happened in countless fights and it's a completely legit way of beating an opponent.

You know...I heard AJ took some body shots in sparring and they were ouchie, so when Ruiz hit him to the body it made AJ have flashbacks :(

I'm guessing boxer has about 3 months of fight camp, similar to MMA fighters.

If AJ would have got KO'd at the start then that still isnt enough time to recover before the fight, 3-6 months is the guideline apparently.

Unsure how much truth I would put in Floyd being KO'd either, if that did happen then the public wouldnt have heard about it - Floyd is a master at this media manipulation and I would bet that was a strategy.

How long do boxers stop sparring before a boxing match?

Soldato
Surely the terms will already be agreed from the rematch clause in the initial contract, not a chance Eddie would have let him have the ability to negotiate his own terms.

Not really anything he can do if they simply refuse the fight other than go through the courts but AJ still wouldn't get the belts that way, I'd imagine they would be declared vacant by each of the sanctioning bodies.
So although he doesn't have a strong hand in negotiations, he still has some say/influence.

Soldato
Joshua fight: 13m pirate viewers worldwide, 1m in the UK, according to this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/48539853

It mentions 'commercial opportunity', and there is one. I'd pay £3 or so to watch a reliable 480p (or perhaps a little lower) stream, maybe £1 for a similar quality delayed coverage. Some money is better than no money.

the 1m viewers in Kenya might pay even less than that, but there's still something to be made.

Considerations would be made to cannibalising full-rate payers, I guess.

Soldato
I was thinking this as well where does the belts go if this happens? will Joshua be able to get all 3 belts back in the rematch or will he have to fight for the vacant belt again

The IBF would declare the belt vacant and have Pulev vs the next available challenger in the rankings (currently Kabayel or Kownacki) fight for it.

The WBO mandatory is due soon also (Usyk assuming he commits to heavyweight) so either way the IBF or WBO belt will most likely be declared vacant either before or after the rematch (assuming there is one).

Permabanned
The IBF doesn’t really matter too much. If they strip Ruiz (which they possibly will have to after doing the same to Fury) and Joshua beats Ruiz in the rematch, whoever has the IBF will almost certainly want to face Joshua in a lucative unification.

If I was Joshua I would take the rematch in the UK and forget about Wilder/Fury for the time being, just focus on himself and work at getting back to where he needs to be.

This can go one of two ways. It can make him stronger like Lewis, Klitschko etc. Or be the beginning of his downfall like Tyson. I hope it’s the former if not he’s done himself proud and made a fair bit in the process. I wish him all the best.

Soldato
The IBF doesn’t really matter too much. If they strip Ruiz (which they possibly will have to after doing the same to Fury) and Joshua beats Ruiz in the rematch, whoever has the IBF will almost certainly want to face Joshua in a lucative unification.

Not sure it'd be that simple. Assuming Pulev wins the title, I believe he's still being promoted by Top Rank and will be on ESPN. In which case they will almost certainly push for him to fight Fury instead to keep the belt in-house

Permabanned

For those that can't be bothered to watch:

(1) Training camp was fine - all the rumours are fake news. Joshua may have underestimated Ruiz, though.

(2) Joshua's dad was upset at the defeat and was having a go at everybody on AJ's team. Main thing he was upset about was the stoppage. It had nothing to do with AJ's preparation.

(3) Hearn refused to discuss the terms of the rematch clause in the contract, whether the location for the rematch is in the contract.

I think AJ & co. did very much underestimate him, based on (1) Ruiz being underrated in general, (2) having "lost" to Parker whom AJ beat, and (3) how Ruiz looks in comparison to AJ. But I and many/most other fans thought Ruiz did enough to deserve the win over Parker, and I'd say Ruiz stands a good chance of beating every other heavyweight except Fury. As I said before, I always thought the rumours of AJ stubbing his toe or something during training camp were BS. The stoppage was fine. Reminder: whilst the first fight was in NYC, it was a Matchroom promotion and at the time of the stoppage two of the judges had Ruiz up by only a single point and the third had AJ winning by a point! :rolleyes: Hearn will no doubt rig things even harder in the UK.

Last edited:
Associate
I yeah I know, think he’s getting the short straw out of all this fury/wilder/AJ situation.
Not sure about the truth in it but hearns could take legal action if Whyte doesn’t get his shot.

Back
Top Bottom