• Yes - 40mm non cellular

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Yes - 44mm non cellular

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • No, I won't be buying it

Votes: 49 35.0%

• Total voters
Caporegime
I didn’t buy the series four and I’m now thinking that I’ll hold off updating my series three to see what comes out later this year. I don’t need to upgrade this one, it’s working perfectly well.

I am debating whether to bother with the cellular model next time though. Although I have used it a couple of times, it’s not been often enough to justify the extra initial cost and monthly payment.

If you always have your phone on you, is the cellular an advantage?

(I am on 3 anyway so it doesn't apply to me, just curious)

Soldato
Just got a new series 4 44mm celluar and its amazing - my only concern is the crown. I'm finding that sometimes it takes a couple of presses to respond, scrolling is perfect and using the crown with the ECG app works fine too its just when I use the crown as a button. Has anyone else experienced this?

Associate
So it essentially hotspot to the phone and get online that way?
Yes. It’s connected by Bluetooth. It connects and disconnects to WiFi or the phone automatically depending if the phone is reachable. If the watch cannot log onto WiFi or the phone, then you can turn on Mobile data. I’m pretty sure it used to do this automatically but an update now makes you do it manually which is a lot handier as the battery gets hammered on cellular especially if you are working out or streaming music.
I’m the same as Feek - still on a series 3 cellular which I’m happy with and when I next get one, it’ll probably be a non cellular one.

Commissario
OP
Just got a new series 4 44mm celluar and its amazing - my only concern is the crown. I'm finding that sometimes it takes a couple of presses to respond, scrolling is perfect and using the crown with the ECG app works fine too its just when I use the crown as a button. Has anyone else experienced this?
If it's new, I'd get to an Apple store PDQ and ask for it to be replaced.

Caporegime
How do you guys keep it charged when away from home for a long period? Is the enclosed charger the only way to charge or can I use any Qi enabled wireless pad?
I am just thinking if I need to buy another thing to put in my travel kit bag and charge it at work or even if it runs out half way into a flight to Asia.

Soldato
It depends on which version of the watch of have. Series 3 and 4 will work with Qi chargers but not all Qi chargers are made equally.

The watch has a very small induction loop compared to what you will get in a phone so it isn't universally compatible. Google seems to suggest changers with a large charging pad are unlikely to work where as smaller ones will.

If it says it will work with the watch it probably will, if it doesn't then it probably won't. The product linked above is a Qi charger (well 2 technically).

Soldato
How do you guys keep it charged when away from home for a long period? Is the enclosed charger the only way to charge or can I use any Qi enabled wireless pad?
I am just thinking if I need to buy another thing to put in my travel kit bag and charge it at work or even if it runs out half way into a flight to Asia.
Yeah you'll need another cable. Luckily I have two but to be honest as long as you charge it overnight you'll be fine. I've got at most 3 days out of my watch before it goes into power saving mode

Has to be a watch specific charger. My QI charger doesn't do anything to the watch.

I have one of these for at home and then leave the included charger at work or for travel.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NW2947J/ref=twister_B07PSGW92H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That actually looks quite appealing for next to the bed. Hmmm

Soldato
It depends on which version of the watch of have. Series 3 and 4 will work with Qi chargers but not all Qi chargers are made equally.

The watch has a very small induction loop compared to what you will get in a phone so it isn't universally compatible. Google seems to suggest changers with a large charging pad are unlikely to work where as smaller ones will.

If it says it will work with the watch it probably will, if it doesn't then it probably won't. The product linked above is a Qi charger (well 2 technically).

Yeah true, although on the 2 phone based chargers i own (including the phone part of the above stand), neither does anything for my watch.

What i like about that model (and something to watch out for with similar models), is that a lot just have a holder for the round Apple charger to slot into, rather than having a built in watch charger. That is 2 fully functional chargers.

Commissario
OP
I keep a second official Apple Watch charger in the bag of chargers I keep in my travel kit.

Soldato
Soldato
Can you fix the link please? No longer works

Thanks

Try this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Charger-Charging-Station-Qi-Enabled/dp/B07K814RV3/ref=sr_1_21?crid=3QVT7HYEY62NL&keywords=apple+watch+charger&qid=1559893511&s=gateway&sprefix=watch+charger,aps,231&sr=8-21&th=1

Otherwise on Amazon if you search for

Wireless Charger Stand Charging Station/Dock with QC3.0 Adapter for iPhone XS/XS Max/XR/X/8 Plus/8 and Apple Watch 4/3/2/1,Fast Wireless Charger for Samsung Galaxy Note and All Qi-Enabled Phones

Man of Honour

I have that multi-charger after someone posted it on here, works ok for the most part, however my watch will "ping" 8-10 times a night (as if its just been put on charge)

I'm assuming its because I have a hermes strap and it's heavier than the usual ones and results in a pull on the watch which, coupled with the thermo expansion as it charges causes it to temporarily lose contact until it cools again,

I end up having to turn the watch to silent mode each night, then off again in the morning.

Doesn't do it with my milanese loop.

Back
Top Bottom