• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Could Tease Its Next-Gen Ampere GPU on 7nm at GTC 19

Associate
If they can't get 22 yr old games back playable with RT, then maybe they should go even further back, like to the 70s, with the likes of Combat.

maxresdefault.jpg

See if they can get that to hit 60fps at 1080p with RT. :D

Might just manage it, if they DLSS the buggers as well :p

:D

I enjoyed that game In my young days

Caporegime
Gave it a shot, never played these game before as it's well before my time

However I must say I can see the appeal, finished the first level and yeah it was fun

2080ti, getting me 80-90fps at 1080p and 50-60fps at 1440p. I also noticed that I was getting some sort of bottleneck as the GPU was never able to pull full power - it's constantly running at 80% of maximum power. Maybe the RTX cores are holding back and delaying the normal Cuda from operating at higher frequencies leading to lower than full performance in a game like this where every RTX feature is enabled

The game engine just isn't design for modern GPUS so it isn't really indicative of performance. I also doubt that much work was done in optimizing the RTX which is quite critical

Soldato
The game engine just isn't design for modern GPUS so it isn't really indicative of performance. I also doubt that much work was done in optimizing the RTX which is quite critical
When rendering with RTX it's using Vulkan. Unoptimised or using a lot more rays, doing more with RT than recent RT game releases are my guesses (so showcasing more of RT in an old graphically simple title where playable FPS can be hit - just). 1000 FPS using OpenGL (no RT) :).
I've been enjoying observing the lighting, including playing around with the sun azimuth to see how that affects things

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not been on in awhile as been on hols etc but good to see something new is coming. I wasn't surprised to see the usual penny-pinchers comments either and love the rinse and repeat comment from years ago. Makes my day!

Anyways, 7nm will be interesting and I am excited to see. Hopefully adding more RT cores and possibly something that can deal with Raytracing a little easier to stop those without a RT card crying!

Associate
Not been on in awhile as been on hols etc but good to see something new is coming. I wasn't surprised to see the usual penny-pinchers comments either and love the rinse and repeat comment from years ago. Makes my day!

Anyways, 7nm will be interesting and I am excited to see. Hopefully adding more RT cores and possibly something that can deal with Raytracing a little easier to stop those without a RT card crying!

And stop those with a RT card from crying too :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
When rendering with RTX it's using Vulkan. Unoptimised or using a lot more rays, doing more with RT than recent RT game releases are my guesses (so showcasing more of RT in an old graphically simple title where playable FPS can be hit - just). 1000 FPS using OpenGL (no RT) :).
I've been enjoying observing the lighting, including playing around with the sun azimuth to see how that affects things

I was reffering to the API, but the actual game engine. Quake uses a binary spatial partitioning tree, uses costly visible set calculations and uses direct rendering calls. This stuff is all horribly CPU expensive and just gets in the way for modern GPUs. Remember Q2 was designed to also work with software rendering.

This demo does show full GI, whihc is as intense as it gets like you point out. But the gnine design is not well suited to optimize this.

Worse still it is all designed for static lighting so doesn't show anything like the cool effects that can be achieved with RTX without any performance costs.

The newest unreal engine demo show things off quite nicely. In the end Quake 2 is a very old and basic game with ancient textures and models. Global Illumination doesn't change any of that so it still looks pants, but that tens to iss the underlying achievement.

Caporegime
OP

Thats some hit though isn't it, going from 1000fps no RT, to 18 with RT, ouch! :p

Not a very good advert is it, heres our flagship £1300+ card, running a 22yr old game, at 18fps!

:D

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Not seen the video but what CPU was he using?

I was getting 27-28fps from a 2080Ti/2700X combo @ 4K.

Bit irrelevant anyway I suppose, I’ve uninstalled it already.

Let’s just hope that the “3000” range of GPU’s are a bigger generational leap than the last.

Man of Honour
I was reffering to the API, but the actual game engine. Quake uses a binary spatial partitioning tree, uses costly visible set calculations and uses direct rendering calls. This stuff is all horribly CPU expensive and just gets in the way for modern GPUs. Remember Q2 was designed to also work with software rendering.

This demo does show full GI, whihc is as intense as it gets like you point out. But the gnine design is not well suited to optimize this.

Worse still it is all designed for static lighting so doesn't show anything like the cool effects that can be achieved with RTX without any performance costs.

The newest unreal engine demo show things off quite nicely. In the end Quake 2 is a very old and basic game with ancient textures and models. Global Illumination doesn't change any of that so it still looks pants, but that tens to iss the underlying achievement.

One of the problems is Quake 2's original lighting is physically impossible and uses a lot of fake light sources, etc. to trick things up - without someone going through and hand optimising the lights in every map it is looking a bit odd and the RTX version seems to just randomly ignore some light sources entirely.

uses costly visible set calculations

Quake 2 doesn't do a lot of that in real time - the maps are compiled with the visible sets pre-computed and the areas divided up in an older game with minimal dynamic geometry it is pretty efficient.

Last edited:
Soldato
They should have picked S.T.A.L.K.E.R. the lighting and mood in that series is legendary that could potential benefit from RT as a legacy title

I would rather have it remade on a modern engine, with modern "fake" methods, running a lot better than on some RT stuff for the sake of marketing. Hardware is just not there yet for the kind of power you'd need to actually worth to bother. I doubt even 7nm can improve things significantly - unless they push RT hard, which doesn't seem plausible.

Man of Honour
I would rather have it remade on a modern engine, with modern "fake" methods, running a lot better than on some RT stuff for the sake of marketing. Hardware is just not there yet for the kind of power you'd need to actually worth to bother.

We aren't far off - double up on the performance of a 2080ti and we are starting to see playable performance at 1080p at a quality level which would remove most of the path tracing/de-noised artefacts, etc. I think some people are missing as well that the Quake 2 RTX is fully using ray tracing for the lighting model/GI not just some reflective surfaces or basic indirect lighting as some other games are doing like BF V.

EDIT: I've got some time off work coming up so I might try and do a remake of base1 which takes advantage of ray tracing to show it off a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom