Going PJ

Soldato
OP
Well, it's come back from the service center, they just shipped it straight back to me saying the noise is normal. I put it back up on the ceiling mount, and immediately it started rattling again. It's definitely not normal, sounds like a fan bearing is loose or something.

Contacted Amazon to return it for a refund...although the return option is gone now I've done a repair through Amazon.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Amazon won't take it back because it's not outside their 30 day guarantee :mad: Knew I should have just returned it.

Guess it's going back for repair....again...

@pioneer2000 can you confirm this noise isn't normal?

Caporegime
Amazon won't take it back because it's not outside their 30 day guarantee :mad: Knew I should have just returned it.

Guess it's going back for repair....again...

@pioneer2000 can you confirm this noise isn't normal?

Sound:
There are complaints that the UHD50/40 and the UHD300X make a lot of noise due to the pixel shifter. I can hear the pixel shifter just fine, while i'm sitting ~25 centimers from the projector with my head, writing this review. But the fan to keep the projector cool, is just a little louder on eco then the pixel shifter, and is already on such low volume, that i almost hear my pc more. A pc, ~50cm away from me that is build for silence. The pixel shifter is kind of a rattling noise, like something is loose. Or like a little bit of electricity sparkling sound. But its very vague. I am 100% certain no one of my friends or family will notice or complain about it. If you put the projector on max brightness, the fan noise becomes normal, but still more silent then the epson 2150 i had. Its definatly not intrusive, but you can definatly hear it. Basicly compare the fan noises like this. Eco is almost non-existant, and full brightness is non-intrusive but its there. XPR noise is there as well, but the fan noise on ECO is surpressing the XPR noise, and its definatly not annoying. I recommend to replace it under warrenty, if you get a until thats louder then the fan in eco mode.

As for sound from the build-in speakers, i take a bluetooth speaker (with 3,5mm line connection) with me to holidays, so i have no intention of using the build in speakers. I tried them for this review and well...they work. But they sound bad on max volume, although better then speakers from lets say phones and tablets etc. Just get a speaker with you that works on line-in.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-d...review-just-amazing-especially-4k-gamers.html

Sound like a normal noise these make?

Soldato
OP
If funds allow, could you order another from Amazon and then compare to this one? Then return the worst?

Can't return this one anymore.

Been watching the last few days and the loud noise is fairly intermittent....happens for maybe 5-10 minutes every few hours. Not sure I can be arsed with sending it back and forth to the service center until it happens for them and they fix it, guess I'll just live with it and send it back if it gets any worse.

Can't fault the projector otherwise, watching Our Planet in 4k is just incredible.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, i more meant the sneaky. See if the new one is better then arrange a return for that one but stick the older one in the new box :p

Not particularly ethical but given you're bought both from Amazon it's less of a **** move

Ah, could be an idea :)

As it is, I've just had to box it up and send back to the service center. The rattling started up with a vengeance last night, even the gf said it sounds knackered.

I've put some repro notes printed out in the box. It is intermittent, they need to put it on a ceiling mount and wait an hour or more before it happens.

If it comes back without a fix again I'm going to be super ******....should have just returned it within the 30 days

Soldato
OP
They're returning it again without a fix :mad:

Going to try and get Amazon to replace it....pretty unimpressed tbh...

Edit : OK Amazon were really helpful, replacement unit is on it's way :) Hopefully this one is quiet!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Second bonus, the rainbow effect is barely noticable, even when you're looking for it. I guess the pixel shifter was miscalibrated or something

Soldato
Glad it's sorted for you. I have an epson 6700 and it doesn't make that kind of noise. It has developed a red dot though. Have sent it back to richer sounds under warranty. Pity had to watch last episode of Chernobyl on my tiny 40 inch monitor

Soldato
Excellent (except the end result). I know the feeling. If my wife puts Paul o Gradys dogs on the tv, our dogs go mental!

Maybe it's the picture but it looks a little washed out to me. Looks like a screen would be an improvement. Glad to see you've moved your turntable off your amp though :p

Soldato
OP
Likely to be moving soon so I'll sort a proper screen setup and route the cabling properly then. It's actually pretty dark in the room and the phone has pushed levels all over the places so it looks weird.

Only problem with a massive screen is the lines show up how wonky the building itself is, the chimney flue isn't even close to vertical :p

Back
Top Bottom