Online card purchase failure (OTP Santander system not fit for purpose ?)

Soldato
Santander text me an OTP (One time pass) code if I make online purchase Lloyds don't.

The Santander system has been slow to deliver pass codes on several occasions, so the code does not arrive within 10 minutes; you can re-request the code 2 times before the purchase is blocked, which is what happened on my most recent attempt, to purchase car vehicle tax on gov.co.uk site.

Has anyone abandonned trying to use Santander for online purchases ?

..... Contacting Santander, they said it was the Vendors/gov problem, and although Sant person I finally spoke to had details of the transaction, he wasn't able to clear explanation that their system was not responsible ... overloaded ... poor implementation ....
(putting aside that they have a telephone response system that gives no idea of queue time, or offers any callback - Amazon/Ebay - OK - a less secure environment - have that licked now)

Soldato
OP
- That's not good news .. I'll need to open another bank account.

If these banks were offering me a dongle that generated the (next) pass code, llike, I understand HSBC does, that would suit me fine;
it still seems surprising that payments can be made from the same phone that is receiving the one pass code - 1.5 step identification ?

Soldato

If these banks were offering me a dongle that generated the (next) pass code, llike, I understand HSBC does, that would suit me fine;
it still seems surprising that payments can be made from the same phone that is receiving the one pass code - 1.5 step identification ?

No! The HSBC secure key was annoying as hell.

I thought I read recently that Halifax will be doing this, but generating the passcodes from within their online banking app.

Soldato
All the banks will be doing this in one form or another for online credit and debit purchases. They have no choice as it's coming in as a legal requirement.

Associate
Indeed, this will soon be a feature of all online transactions for card issuers operating with customers in Europe - changing banks won’t help.

It’s called PSD2.

HSBC have had this implemented for a few months now, and it works quite well. Never had to wait long for my passcode to come through.

Soldato
OP
Indeed, this will soon be a feature of all online transactions for card issuers operating with customers in Europe - changing banks won’t help.
yes lloyds it is in the pipeline, or, maybe, required already for some transactions

Changes to shopping online
When checking out purchases over a certain amount, you’ll notice the extra security during payment. The payment screen will ask you to verify yourself. You can do this through your:

• App: You’ll get a push notification asking you to verify your purchase.
  • Mobile: We’ll text a passcode to your mobile phone, which you then enter on the payment screen.
  • Landline: This will be an automated call to your landline, asking you to say a code which comes up on the payment screen.
why can't they say what's the amount, or indeed when the service starts/started ?
seems an increasing justification to run multiple bank-accounts so you have a backup account

I wish they would support a Yubikey. That would be pretty awesome.
yes looks like the banks, paypal, ... maybe short-sighted not supporting a common authenticator/app on your phone
https://www.wired.com/story/two-factor-authentication-apps-authy-google-authenticator/

Add-blockers Other issue at least making purchases on windows are the add-blockers like UblockO, the purchase mechanism doesn't work correctly because it needs some 3rd party web-site which is blocked, and the web-site designers don't give any diagnostics, so, I have to shop elsewhere, or call them to complete the purchase.

[
https://www.finextra.com/newsarticl...line-customers-with-two-factor-authentication jan 2019
UK consumers' association Which? has hit out at much of the banking industry for failing to protect online customers with two-factor authentication (2FA).
Which? says that seven out of Britain's top 12 online banking providers do not offer 2FA. despite having the technology to do so.
The guilty parties are named as the Co-operative Bank, Clydesdale and Yorkshire Bank, Lloyds Bank (and sisters Bank of Scotland and Halifax), Metro Bank, NatWest and RBS, Santander and TSB.
]

Capodecina
Soldato
PSD2 is the second Payment Services Directive, designed by the countries of the European Union. It could revolutionise the payments industry, affecting everything from the way we pay online, to what information we see when making a payment. (LINK)
Don't worry, if Bonker Boris and Farage make us leave the EU the UK will probably not bother with this tiresome "inconvenience" and crooks will turn their attention from the EU to the UK - trebles all round!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

HSBC are discontinuing thier dingle and migrating to a mobile app/otp combination.

RE Santander, I've never had any issues with the otp system.

Back
Top Bottom