Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
Sounds perfectly fine to me.

Early adopters don't seem to be getting a very good deal, but the overall pricing strategy seems reasonable. I'll likely give the service a go once it's playable in Chrome on PC.

Associate
I’m looking forward to this and tempted to preorder. The fact that I could play 4K games in 60 FPS on my tv would be great for only £10 a month! I would happily ditch my Xbox one s for this. I think it has legs and don’t mind paying for games separately - it’s effectively making 4K gaming accessible to anyone at a very reasonable price, and you don’t need to worry about obsolete hardware or downloads etc.

Soldato
I agree, the world isn't ready for this yet until everyone had decent and reliable fast internet.
Indeed, I have 40mb.. but rarely do I see speeds over 30 in real world usage. That doesn’t take into account the two sky Q boxes in my house. Multiples of iPads and iPhones, all using the internet at once.

This thing is a huge pass from me. I’ll stick to ps5 and physical media.

Associate
Don't suppose ultrawide has been mentioned?

Only random piece of chat I've become across discussing this has someone suggesting it may do so because it'll work on phones, which have a variety of aspect ratios. I'm rather doubtful personally.

Associate
I think the main draw (maybe for me) is that there is no console part. Plug in a Chromecast Ultra and you've got 4K gaming. Buying a £70 device (and the controller I guess) as opposed to a £400/500 Xbox/PS5 is a lot easier to swallow and easier to get past the wife!

I think I'd probably wait to see some more titles available though than jump in now.*

* He says this, then probably ends up putting a pre-order in next week....

Associate
I think this is a console killer and really tempted to put in a pre-order now instead of waiting for more news on the PS5. I went digitial with my games just over a year ago and havent looked back. Shame they didnt release any pricing on games but i would expect it to be the same as console pricing.

Sony and Microsoft need to release details of their next gen offerings fast after this IMO

Soldato
It's certainly all very interesting. That lineup is surprising and the subs are nicely priced. I will reserve judgement until I've read up how it performs in the real world. If it works it could be a game changer though I wouldn't call it a 'console killer' just yet. Good luck to them.

Associate
I think this is a console killer and really tempted to put in a pre-order now instead of waiting for more news on the PS5. I went digitial with my games just over a year ago and havent looked back. Shame they didnt release any pricing on games but i would expect it to be the same as console pricing.

Sony and Microsoft need to release details of their next gen offerings fast after this IMO

I think this is it. If you're a digital only/fan, then this isn't really any different, you'd still be paying for your games, but instead of having to wait for a download, you're up and playing straight away. That's pretty big.

I mean if PS/Microsoft offer similar products then it's a different matter completely and you'd have to consider their offerings as well.

But I'm definitely a fan of this way of gaming that Stadia will be providing.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
My POV is that they probably aren't looking to convert the hardcore console fans who will be buying a console on release but rather those that either don't have a console or don't have a sufficient gaming PC or the budget, for that matter.

As above, if you aren't a gamer, or are a casual gamer but don't fancy spending £500+ on a new console or even more on a gaming PC then this is who this is most likely targeted at.

Associate
It's certainly all very interesting. That lineup is surprising and the subs are nicely priced. I will reserve judgement until I've read up how it performs in the real world. If it works it could be a game changer though I wouldn't call it a 'console killer' just yet. Good luck to them.

Problem with that, will perform differently for you.

Nice to see another option, but I hope Google sticks with it.

Caporegime
I want to be interested in this because new and shiny but I just can't see it being responsive enough, even if your internet connection is good enough (mine isn't).

Associate
As for the pricing model/strategy i think it works fine. Theres a free option and paid, pretty much like buying a Playstation plus pass to be able to play online so its not actually that different from whats out there at the moment.

Just had a quick look and at £8.99/month for Stadia Pro & a Controller for £69 versus the original PS4 price of £349 and 4 years of PS plus passees at £35/yrs you can subscribe to Stadia for around 4 years. My takeaway from that is that over a 4/5 year console cycle we will end up paying around the same price for Stadia as you will a console, just without the initial upfront cost every time a new console is released.

Soldato
Problem with that, will perform differently for you.

Nice to see another option, but I hope Google sticks with it.

My connection is decent so we should be able to get a gauge on where it works and where it doesn't. I don't have a 4K TV either so I'd be in the 1080 bracket. Anyway, we'll see how it plays out.

Caporegime
OP
At the end of the day, it isn't going to be able to play The Last Of Us 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn 2 or God of War 2 so that's where it fails for me because I have to get a PS5 for those. (Or put up with PlayStation Now which doesn't offer 4K streaming yet, maybe that's coming next year with the PS5.)

Soldato
Yes it may do 4k60fps, but no one has seen the graphical capabilities that these servers will be pumping out yet. Or what settings the graphics will be dialled in to.

And lol at console killer... seriously ? The ps5 sales are gonna stomp over this thing cause people like physical media, and collectors editions, steel books etc.

Edit. And the fact that the ps5 will play games, internet or no

Associate
Yes it may do 4k60fps, but no one has seen the graphical capabilities that these servers will be pumping out yet. Or what settings the graphics will be dialled in to.

And lol at console killer... seriously ? The ps5 sales are gonna stomp over this thing cause people like physical media, and collectors editions, steel books etc.

Edit. And the fact that the ps5 will play games, internet or no

Don't think it's a console killer - too many stuck in their primitive ways in needing/wanting physical media for that, and as someone mentioned above the exclusives that PS and Xbox have will mean that they will still do well.

But this is a good alternative, and that's what is most important.

Back
Top Bottom