• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Caporegime
At the end of the day, it isn't going to be able to play The Last Of Us 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn 2 or God of War 2 so that's where it fails for me because I have to get a PS5 for those. (Or put up with PlayStation Now which doesn't offer 4K streaming yet, maybe that's coming next year with the PS5.)

God of war 2? Am I missing something? I'm still yet to play 4!

Are we talking a remaster?

Soldato
So initial purchase of £119, plus £8.99 PM sub, and even though there are free games you still have to actually buy the ones you want?

Are they insane? Or have i completely misread it all...

Caporegime
OP
So initial purchase of £119, plus £8.99 PM sub, and even though there are free games you still have to actually buy the ones you want?

Are they insane? Or have i completely misread it all...

The £119 is just the Founders starter pack if you want to play this year. It's more of a soft launch.

Later on, if you only want to play at 1080p resolution, then you can buy your game, use Google Chrome instead of a Chromecast and use your Xbone or DualShock 4 controller instead of the Stadia one. Total cost = the price of your game.

Caporegime
Will there not be data implications for this with ISP’s? 4K streaming will hammer your connection. Nearly 16GB an hour!

Won’t you eventually get severely throttled by your ISP, or even worse, won’t they decide that it’s not sustainable and start charging extra for heavy stadia users?

Soldato
too many stuck in their primitive ways in needing/wanting physical media for that

Why are people in such a hurry to see cheap games and competitive pricing killed off? The digital future some people are so desperate to embrace is going to leave us all paying RRP (or close enough) for games.

If it's primitive to want something for the best price possible, I guess I'm a caveman.

As for Stadia, I'm interested in how it'll turn out but I'm not interested in getting it. The PS5 is a far, far more appealing prospect at this moment on the basis of Sony exclusives alone. Plus it simply doesn't matter how fast a connection you have, dedicated hardware will always provide a more consistent and reliable end result. I think it'll probably bridge the game somewhat between console and PC gaming, but a console killer it is not.

Soldato
The £119 is just the Founders starter pack if you want to play this year. It's more of a soft launch.

Later on, if you only want to play at 1080p resolution, then you can buy your game, use Google Chrome instead of a Chromecast and use your Xbone or DualShock 4 controller instead of the Stadia one. Total cost = the price of your game.
I see. So for some laptop/PC gaming on chrome (no 4k needed) then it'll be worth looking at certainly. But to game on your 4K TV you need a sub plus buying games of choice, plus the initial purchase.

It's not for me, I might dip into the free stuff using chrome next year but already have enough subs in my life and won't be getting another especially as it's a streaming service where flakiness will surely be an issue for a period. I still can't even use PS Now without major input lag, I doubt this will be any better.

Caporegime
OP
Will there not be data implications for this with ISP’s? 4K streaming will hammer your connection. Nearly 16GB an hour!

Won’t you eventually get severely throttled by your ISP, or even worse, won’t they decide that it’s not sustainable and start charging extra for heavy stadia users?

Aren't most UK ISPs touting unlimited downloads with absolutely zero throttling these days?

Soldato
Aren't most UK ISPs touting unlimited downloads with absolutely zero throttling these days?

Yep, though a 4K stream with the right compression won't be particularly significant anyway. Netflix are able to achieve some absurdly low bitrates for UHD HDR content, albeit with the benefit of being able to analyse the content being streamed first and optimise it. ISPs seem to have survived the increase in streaming services fairly well so far.

Soldato
It's a shame that one of the biggest positives - its portability - is almost redundant given the streaming requirements. I travel a fair bit for work and it'd be amazing to take this with me but we all know what hotel WiFi is like.

Soldato
Why are people in such a hurry to see cheap games and competitive pricing killed off? The digital future some people are so desperate to embrace is going to leave us all paying RRP (or close enough) for games.

If it's primitive to want something for the best price possible, I guess I'm a caveman.

A lot of people seem to forget that the original Xbox One plan covered this with Third Party Storefronts and a 2nd hand market. MS had a whole plan for companies like Game, Amazon etc. etc. to have their own Digital Only stores in the dashboard where they could do their own pricing. Also because the games were licensed to the console there would be an online marketplace allowing 2nd hand sales, prices would fluctuate with simple supply & demand just like anything.

Unfortunately the internet just overreacted without really thinking about the future and now we're stuck with insane RRP 1st party only stores!

Associate
We'll ive pre-ordered on the basis there is more to come yet and if it starts to sound like its not my cup of tea i can cancel. I cant see a downside at the moment.

Soldato
After thinking about this a bit more having watched the stream yesterday, I don't really see the point of Stadia versus traditional console gaming, considering you'll have to pay for most games on top of the £8.99 per month subscription charge. I guess if Google can massively undercut current game prices then it would suddenly look quite appealing, but anyone who has shelled out £300+ for a Pro or X aren't suddenly going to decide that Stadia is better.

Soldato
After thinking about this a bit more having watched the stream yesterday, I don't really see the point of Stadia versus traditional console gaming, considering you'll have to pay for most games on top of the £8.99 per month subscription charge. I guess if Google can massively undercut current game prices then it would suddenly look quite appealing, but anyone who has shelled out £300+ for a Pro or X aren't suddenly going to decide that Stadia is better.

You don't have to pay the subscription at all if you're happy with 1080p, which I think most people that this is aimed at would be.

I do agree with you if you have an XBox1X of PS4Pro, or even a decent PC, then this really isnt for you.

However this is the cheapest way to get into 4K 60fps gaming.
Closest thing would be an Xbox One X as we know the Pro can't always hit these resolutions and FPS.

A gaming PC that could pull it off would cost more then the X. So a Stadia might appeal to them.

Associate
You don't have to pay the subscription at all if you're happy with 1080p, which I think most people that this is aimed at would be.

I do agree with you if you have an XBox1X of PS4Pro, or even a decent PC, then this really isnt for you.

However this is the cheapest way to get into 4K 60fps gaming.
Closest thing would be an Xbox One X as we know the Pro can't always hit these resolutions and FPS.

A gaming PC that could pull it off would cost more then the X. So a Stadia might appeal to them.

Game included with Stadia (destiny 2) @ 4k 60fs. No console currently on market can hit 60fps in destiny

Soldato
Well, I'm sold on Stadia. My XB1 is screwed and I can't leave it to do updates in the background (the thing just switches on and stays on!) so as a very occasional gamer I know I'm going to be hit with updates as soon as I switch the thing on. I normally only have a few games on the go and frequently enough to be annoying I can't play any of them as they all require an update before I can launch them! So much so that my XB1 has sat in a bag since I last took it round a mates house 3 months ago and everytime I want to play it I think 'no point, only got half an hour and that'll just scratch the surface of the updates'.

Being able to swap to my laptop when the wife wants to watch some soap on the telly is the icing on the cake!

So for me streaming will work well. I'll probably go for the founders pack, my XB1 controller is well worn and I'd quite like a chromecast anyway. After the three months I'll probably revert to the free plan and just buy myself a couple of games. 1080P is fine and TBH I don't really notice a difference on my 40" TV from the sofa when showing 4k stuff anyway! From the video I think they are saying that you'll own Destiny 2? TBH I'm not too fussed but that would be a bonus.

Also happens to tie in with when my current XB Live sub ends :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom