*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
I always take my Creatine straight after breakfast. Should I take it before?

The research I've read had the creatine taken 30 minutes before carbs; the SnC I used to train with said creatine and carbs should be taken together (same availability to the body).

I'd take it before simply because - unlike OAKG or BCAAs - it doesn't ming and you might as well get science behind you.

Man of Honour
Somehow have found epic strength in the gym this week. Did a double chest/deadlift day on Sunday. Pulled a 230kg deadlift on Wednesday.

Have decided to switch from high bar to low bar squat.

Have also started reading starting strength by riptoe which is an absolutely fantastic read.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Somehow have found epic strength in the gym this week. Did a double chest/deadlift day on Sunday. Pulled a 230kg deadlift on Wednesday.

Have decided to switch from high bar to low bar squat.

Have also started reading starting strength by tiptoe which is an absolutely fantastic read.

Uh-oh... Another low bar squatter!

Next you'll be growing a beard, a gut and an American accent. :D

Soldato
I wasnt doing any cardio back then either. Now ill still be doing footy once a week and cycling / hiking some weekends. Thats the main reason i cant do 3x per week lifting which the starting strength programme advocates.

Out of interest, are you planning on eventually shedding the fat you have and will put on from these extra calories or are you just purely aiming to get stronger and have no interest in aesthetics?

I ask because while it sounds difficult getting extra calories for this program, i can only imagine a healthy cut/deficit even harder when you are a very fussy eater. The worst thing after spending time gaining muscle would be to lose it all cutting due to poor diet and be left with the extra fat gained during the bulk.

Man of Honour
The research I've read had the creatine taken 30 minutes before carbs; the SnC I used to train with said creatine and carbs should be taken together (same availability to the body).

I'd take it before simply because - unlike OAKG or BCAAs - it doesn't ming and you might as well get science behind you.

How much carb is required? In the morning I typically have a smoothie with a couple of pieces of fruit, protein powder, scoop of porridge oats. Is it OK alongside that?

Man of Honour
How much carb is required? In the morning I typically have a smoothie with a couple of pieces of fruit, protein powder, scoop of porridge oats. Is it OK alongside that?

That sounds fine - the equivalent of a flat energy drink would be optimal so what you're doing sounds great.

Have you heard any more on OAKG? Is it still something to consider??

Depends. It was gross, but in the right quantity and timing I felt recovery was a lot better the day after. And it was massively expensive.

And given Steedie doesn't post anymore, we can't laugh at his exploits, either.

Soldato
Out of interest, are you planning on eventually shedding the fat you have and will put on from these extra calories or are you just purely aiming to get stronger and have no interest in aesthetics?

I ask because while it sounds difficult getting extra calories for this program, i can only imagine a healthy cut/deficit even harder when you are a very fussy eater. The worst thing after spending time gaining muscle would be to lose it all cutting due to poor diet and be left with the extra fat gained during the bulk.

To be honest i dont know yet. All i know is there is little point bodybuilding while im relatively weak so i need to get stronger by quite a lot before deciding on next steps. Just used electronic scale to estimate body fat level and its 18% give or take. I know not too accurate but in the ballpark of what i thought. BMI says 24 which the high end of normal bordering on overweight which is crazy so Ill ignore that.

If i was to gain to 13 st, 50:50 muscle and fat then id still be just 20% bodyfat so im not too concerned until i get to 13st and then i can decide next steps.

If i remember correctly, last time i was 13 st i was above 25% bodyfat. The cardio ive done since then has meant i should be starting from a better place this time.

Man of Honour
Make sure youre not going too deep. When i did it my stance was too narrow too so check that. Shoulder width is a bit misleading especially if youre taller. The tubow trick works well too if you find knees are moving forward too much.

Not so much back/leg flexibility. More getting the bar low enough on the back. I guess it will get easier with time.

Man of Honour
Wider grip to start, then bring it in as you warm up and as your flexibility improves. Youre having overhand grip right, not trying to hold the bar with thumbs around?

Yup, thumb and fingers over the top. The hooks are quite narrow on our racks, so I can only go out so far. I think I’ll just have to accept that my working weight is going to be lower than a high bar squat for the time being until I master my form.

Caporegime
Must be a good 3-4K. I don’t count, I just try to pile them in with milkshakes, nuts, peanut butter etc. I work out about 2 hours a day now though so most probably just burn off.

I'm on around 2,500 at the mo. Before that I was probably eating around the same as you, certainly, 3 - 3.5k, though I don't train anywhere near as much as that, more like three times a week at around an hour a visit. Up until recently, I was training four times a week but along the way, I sustained a shoulder injury, which I'm trying to work around. Hopefully, once fully healed, I'll be able to lift heavier.

Associate
Hi all, after some advice regarding supplements.

I go to the gym 5 times a week. Am on a cut at the moment trying to get my body fat down so my calorie intake is around 2000 per day. The only supplements I am taking are protein powder - I take one in the morning with my breakfast and one straight after my workout. I also take BCAA during my workout (25g per day when I work out).

My diet is relatively clean. During the week days it is spot on at the weekend I do have a couple of things I probably shouldn't whilst cutting (Bacon & Egg roll for lunch today for example), but even then I am still keeping my calories to about 2600. I keep my protein intake up to about 200g per day on average.

Workouts are always weights with 15-20 mins of cardio at the end (4 days I do HIIT on treadmill the other I just do a slow 20 min jog).

Is there any benefit to taking any other supplements, anything else I should be taking? I would like to maintain my strength during the cut:

BW: 90kg

All for reps:

Bench; 82.5kg
Squats; 140kg
Deadlifts; 145kg
Overhead Press; 55kg (hate shoulder day!!)

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom