Tips for going from K+M to Controller

Soldato
So the wife and I are finally having a baby and so my study/gaming room is to be converted to a baby room! :(

Because of this, there is no space in the house to put the PC/Desk so I've bit the bullet and bought an Xbox One X which I admit I'm quite enjoying! (Game Pass is a steal!)

3rd Person games are fine as I used a controller for them on the PC however for FPS, I'm getting my arse kicked left, right and center, even in SP games like Wolfenstein 2.

With M+K I'd be fine but aiming with thumb-sticks just seems impossible to line up a shot (forget sniping!)

Has anyone else made the move from K+M to controller and can offer some sage advise?

Soldato
Practice. The muscle memory will come with some repetition.

I can't aim with mouse and kB for toffee anymore, much better with a controller.

Soldato
Basically start with a really low sens and then gradually ramp it up, say once a week. When you get to the point where it doesn't help to increase it further settle on that.

Soldato
As most said above, I came from twitch shooter background / MMO etc., and moved to console some years ago. At first I simply could not get the hang of it, but with time it gets much better.

Take FPS games for example, you get used to 'exploiting' the aim assist feature. For example, instead of aiming down sight to hit multiple enemies, you learn to unfocus (if that's the correct term), and then snap back to the enemy.

Associate
One thing I've picked up is that you have to think about you crosshair placement a lot more, as you can't rely on your quick flick shots. Seems to be helping me quite a bit in Halo on xbox.

Man of Honour
As above, especially coming from KB+M, you need to kind of unfocus and let aim assist do a lot of the work - personally I find it a thoroughly unsatisfying experience.

Back
Top Bottom