The new CT Scanners that will be introduced at Airports

Soldato
So I thought the whole point of the ban in the first place was that a liquid substance might brought on board the flight and then mixed which could cause an explosion of some sort. So how does simply seeing the items as a 3D image stop the initial threat in the first place?

Was the just a load of crap the 1st time round and we have ended up paying extra Air side for simple things like water?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48526019

Soldato
So I thought the whole point of the ban in the first place was that a liquid substance might brought on board the flight and then mixed which could cause an explosion of some sort. So how does simply seeing the items as a 3D image stop the initial threat in the first place?

Was the just a load of crap the 1st time round and we have ended up paying extra Air side for simple things like water?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48526019

You're not allowed more than 100ml in a container. The new scanners dont mean you can take more liquid, you're still limited. It's just that they now have the ability to check it without you needing to remove it from your bag.

Soldato
I'd like to see the real science and threat that stops us having liquids on planes..

So this liquid explosive is I assume is not powerful enough to damage a plain if only 2x100ml sources are used, much easier to produce than any other type of explosive or very common?

Associate
I can imagine this speeding up passport control, which is a good thing.

The most frustrating thing about going to the airports is queuing through passport control

Commissario
I can imagine this speeding up passport control, which is a good thing.

The most frustrating thing about going to the airports is queuing through passport control
Hmm don't think so, this is being introduced at security prior to entering departures - there's no passport control at Heathrow departures, only when you're arriving into Heathrow.

Commissario
I'd like to see the real science and threat that stops us having liquids on planes..

So this liquid explosive is I assume is not powerful enough to damage a plain if only 2x100ml sources are used, much easier to produce than any other type of explosive or very common?
Volume doesn't mean a massive amount in terms of damage potential.
The reason liquid "explosives" are a danger is is that there are various ways to make them, they're not necessarily massively powerful but they don't need to be, IIRC one of the reasons you tend not to get liquid explosives in general use is because they tend to be unstable and hard to use precisely unlike say TNT, or even better modern "plastic" explosives (c4 etc is exceptionally stable and easy to handle safely).

You also don't need to do "much" damage to an aircraft to cause serious loss of life, or even bring the aircraft down if you do it in the right place (simply causing a fire or damaging the wiring can bring an aircraft down*, no need to blow a huge hole in the side of it).

Even 100ml of the "right" liquid (not even explosives) applied in the right area could be an issue.
Simple chemical heat reactions can be a major threat, as can corrosives, solvents...
There are reasons why a lot of things are banned from being sent in the post without very explicit warnings, and banned from being sent airmail/airfreight altogether.

*waves to GCHQ*

*As can be seen from the numerous accidental fires and wiring damage that has caused crashes in the past.

Soldato
does it mean you no longer need to remove laptops/tablets etc.. too?

Yep. It's great. Simply dump your bag on the rollers, jacket and other loose stuff in a tray and through you go. Schipol has had it for a few months at least, they've been there every time I've flown this year.

EDIT: Just checked, they were trialling them back in November 2016, I thought they'd been there for a while. I don't remember any change since I started flying there frequently back in Feb last year. Their whole airport just seems to flow better than any I've been to. Manchester has by far been the worst!

Back
Top Bottom