Why in 2019, do we still have this....

Caporegime
I couldn't buy an oled for a gaming only TV.

Not after the fiasco which happened with the plasmas.

All 3 of my plasmas had image retention and one had severe burn in.

Caporegime
You should look after your gear properly then and maybe switch from dynamic settings. In fact, invest in a decent calibration in future, if you have a half decent set.

the panasonic plasmas already came calibrated with THX settings.

you had the option of;

Dynamic
Normal
Game
Vivid
THX Cinema
THX Bright Room
Professional 1
Professional 2

I only ever used THX cinema. I also own a colormunki and calibrate my pc monitors. So it's an area I am very familiar with. It's got nothing to do with settings at all and a flaw with the technology. Obviously if you use the wrong settings is makes the problem worse but with the correct settings I had issues on all 3.

Associate
Plasmas were definitely not good for gaming.

Funny, I had 2 Kuros and a Panasonic VT in different rooms of the house. They were all far superior to the LCDs at the time; especially for console/HTPC gaming. Used the Kuro from 2008-2015 for that purpose. The only downside was the heat they put out into the room; and (eventually) the lack of HDR, 4K, etc.

I've since switched to OLEDs. I have 5 of the buggers in the house. Haven't had a problem with any of them; even the LG 960V that I bought in 2015; and that thing gets hammered with all sorts of static menus, etc. Heck, I actually use a 55" B7 as a desktop monitor (although, I admit, that PC is for entertainment content, rather than productivity/office work).

I can't deal with LCDs for entertainment use. Backlight bleed, DSE, haloing, poor black levels etc are garbage for 2019.

Soldato
The XF90 is a great set but tell it like it is - Bleed exists as does bloom 48 Zones isn't enough to eliminate this and the specific circumstances are every night scene, and every time a light such as a car headlight moves across a dark scene this will also be emphasized with a HDR source.

100% - look at this 2019 top end LG nanocell ips tv. It has 50 FALD zones.

Look how awful, just awful it is compared to the oled

Now of course this is an LG panel and while they have the best oleds their ips is not up there.

You have Samsung and others with top models having over 300 FALD zones. However many of these other options cost more than the OLED, in Samsung’s case it’s significantly more expensive. Additionally and this is just my theory - the more FALD zones they add the bigger TVs get - the Samsung Q90R is absolutely THIC! It’s very heavy and very THIC.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just as I thought.

The only edge lit worth buying last year was the nu8000 and you bought lower than that.

Also the issues with FALD are greatly exaggerated and only seen by a trained eye in specific areas like that Julia Robert's in space movie with the mainly black space with bright stars taking up a dot on the screen.

I've not noticed any blooming on my xf90 under normal use.

I just got a NU8000 (got it for a bargain). And it's excellent, I was scared after owning Plasma for so long that it was going to be awful. But it's really good, ok you do get bleeding (don't they all), but it's minimum.

Soldato
Personally, I think buying cheaper TVs or rather discounted TVs every 2-3yrs is the best way to go, if you don't mind taking some sacrifices with the picture in certain areas. That way you get something new to play with every 2-3yrs without paying an arm and a leg for it, but that's just my preference.

Generally, the cheaper Samsung TVs like the NU7400 are generally better in the smaller sizes from the reviews I've read, as the uniformity tends to be better. The cheaper LG TVs aren't that bad either, and the black uniformity in those can be slightly better than the higher more expensive nano cell ones which often at times use very flawed local dimming. The cheaper ones also can be direct lit panels rather than edge lit, without local dimming, and can sometimes be more uniform and less jarring between the light transitions in certain content because of this.

The cheaper Sony TVs are also not bad either.

It really comes down to what your specific needs are. If you need to have a complete black uniform picture, in a low lit room, then you probably need VA Direct lit LED penel with a large number of dimmable zones for local dimming, or you need an OLED. I think those are really your two choices for a black uniform picture.

Soldato
the panasonic plasmas already came calibrated with THX settings.

you had the option of;

Dynamic
Normal
Game
Vivid
THX Cinema
THX Bright Room
Professional 1
Professional 2

I only ever used THX cinema. I also own a colormunki and calibrate my pc monitors. So it's an area I am very familiar with. It's got nothing to do with settings at all and a flaw with the technology. Obviously if you use the wrong settings is makes the problem worse but with the correct settings I had issues on all 3.

No the TV has the available settings to be calibrated to a THX standard the pre sets are not calibrated to the individual screen. Take my Oled it has ISF pre sets however they were added in a software update but by no means are they calibrated to my screen.

Soldato
Had a good look around the Toshiba 65 OLED yesterday and it seemed fairly impressive :D

Only £300 more for the LG B8, which isn't enough of a saving to offset the gamble, missing out on the LG navigation system and the known quality of the LG.

Finding the right 75 seems soo tough currently that I think we'll just get 65 again.

Or go full on rash and just buy X2 Toshiba 65 OLEDs for less than the cost of the equivalent single Sony OLED :p

Soldato
Its called cutting corners, you dont get top quality stuff anymore, because people are more interested in making money then the products they make.

Back
Top Bottom