Pope announces significant change to Lord's Prayer!

Capodecina
Soldato
Pope Francis has approved changes to the wording of the Lord’s Prayer. Instead of saying “lead us not into temptation”, it will say “do not let us fall into temptation”.

The pope said in 2017 that he believed the wording should be altered. “It is not a good translation because it speaks of a God who induces temptation,” he told Italy’s TV2000 channel. “I am the one who falls. It’s not him pushing me into temptation to then see how I have fallen. “A father doesn’t do that, a father helps you to get up immediately. It’s Satan who leads us into temptation, that’s his department.”
I am delighted that that has been cleared up.

However . . .

Since God is all-knowing and knows our future why does he allow us to fall into temptation?

On a side trajectory, can the Vatican not think of anything more worthy of divine investigation?

Soldato
Since God is all-knowing and knows our future why does he allow us to fall into temptation?

It's the illusion of free will, everything is, as God has planned it so despite us thinking we have a choice in our actions it is all predetermined :)

If God was all knowing and eternal he would have given us the Bible in a language that transcends time and is not subject to correction to "suit the times" and he would also not allow or give the need for fallible man to translate his words if he was truly infallible

I see this as a positive though, it is the church admitting their translations of the word of God are full of errors and not gospel :cool:

Soldato
It's the illusion of free will, everything is, as God has planned it so despite us thinking we have a choice in our actions it is all predetermined :)

If God was all knowing and eternal he would have given us the Bible in a language that transcends time and is not subject to correction to "suit the times" and he would also not allow or give the need for fallible man to translate his words if he was truly infallible

I see this as a positive though, it is the church admitting their translations of the word of God are full of errors and not gospel :cool:
Very:cool::cool::cool:

Soldato
Pope Francis has approved changes to the wording of the Lord’s Prayer. Instead of saying “lead us not into temptation”, it will say “do not let us fall into temptation”.

Yes but it does not scan nearly so well when read out loud. It may in Italian, I don't know. :D

Man of Honour
The Bible is tailored. It has continued to be tailored. The message of "love" was tailored centuries ago...a lot of text is actually omitted from the Bible.

It is quite curious to read some of the original notes and whatever the other works are called that I forget the name of that supported translation work versus what is actually in that version of the Bible - especially amusing when there are notations about not falling into certain traps but then doing so anyway.

Soldato
I don't think it should be changed as part of the struggle of life, from a Christian view, is living a good life and resisting the temptation to do bad things.

From my reading of it, God does put temptation there to test people.

I'm not a Catholic, so I hope it stays the same for the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom