ASUS XG438Q 43 inch 120Hz 4K announced

Soldato
What I meant was that nvidia now support VRR adaptive sync, TV's will be out over the next couple of years with HDMI 2.1, Nvidia next gen should also be HDMI 2.1... At that point you can get a much better value PC monitor, which is actually a TV, but would probably be a better monitor than the actual monitors available...

Soldato
What I meant was that nvidia now support VRR adaptive sync, TV's will be out over the next couple of years with HDMI 2.1, Nvidia next gen should also be HDMI 2.1... At that point you can get a much better value PC monitor, which is actually a TV, but would probably be a better monitor than the actual monitors available...

Next gen cards SHOULD, but let's face it, you will need more than 2080Ti to push 4K beyond 60FPS in future AAA titles. The precedent has already been set for GPU prices now, so we're talking about a MASSIVE outlay for a top end GPU and new 4K TV with HDMI 2.1. You won't get much change from £3K.

Associate
The future of monitors is nearly here. I know the HP Omen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqoxQaFG_9c (NVIDIA BFGD) is not the same as the ASUX XG438Q but gives you an idea of what the tech will soon be capable of. Crazy size though...not sure I could ever get used to gaming/using the PC in the living room like in this review. Not sure it's worth it at 5K USD and hopefully the ASUS is more reasonable...1/4th the price?

Soldato
This was at Computex but doesn't seem to have got much coverage. Personally, while interesting (price will be key, but knowing Asus it won't be cheap), it seems a little underwhelming vs the 43" Acer CG437K which looks to be a slightly superior spec at 144Hz and 1000-nit... which I know with the lack of FALD will make that difference negligible, the price of the two will be the important factor here.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/6607...3-inch-4k-120hz-gaming-monitor-omg/index.html

Soldato
Knowing Asus they'll try it on at circa £2k-ish and Acer will come in as always just below.

Price has been given at €1499 Euros for the Acer, so hopefully that should come in well below £2K... hopefully. Will be odd if the lesser spec Asus comes in more than that, but knowing them it won't surprise me.

Soldato
Next gen cards SHOULD, but let's face it, you will need more than 2080Ti to push 4K beyond 60FPS in future AAA titles. The precedent has already been set for GPU prices now, so we're talking about a MASSIVE outlay for a top end GPU and new 4K TV with HDMI 2.1. You won't get much change from £3K.

Not NOW, but in future it will probably be a good option if you want a large monitor. For example 3-5 years from now.

Soldato
I have to admit when the acer was announced and considering the normal price diff between these 2 makes my interest died in the asus

Hard to see what it's going to offer over the Acer, but we'll see. On paper though, the Acer has it right now.

Soldato
AUO are making two versions of this panel. The 600-nit version in the ASUS and the 1000-nit version in the Acer. I'll be holding out for the Acer.

What's the Asus strategy here I wonder... release an inferior product for more money and hope people still buy it? It's original, I'll give them that! :D

Possibly why it's not already out, they're waiting for the better panel.

Asus had the XG438Q on show at Computex with the 600-nit panel spec advertised... they aren't waiting for the 1000-nit one that the Acer CG437K is using. Well they could I suppose, but that would be quite the turnaround at this stage. My suspicion is they don't feel the backlight solution justifies the extra cost of that particular panel... we'll see when reviews land for both I suppose.

Caporegime
Suspect Asus will then realease a different model later with the 1000 nit screen.

We are almost there with my ideal monitor in the next 6 months. There are several coming out which almost tick all my boxes but not quite.

I just want a 32" or ideally 40" screen which covers almost 100% of the colours accurately (as I do a lot of photo editing)
120Hz or 144Hz (120Hz will do for now) variable refresh so its supported by Nvidia and AMD
Some form of direct local dimming (not edge) so either mini led or FALD

I think Asus have a screen coming out this year (ProArt PA32UCX ) which is 32" 1000NITS normal and peak 1200NITS, 1152 zone mini LED but only 60Hz, 97% of the DCI-P3 as well as 89% of the Rec. 2020 color spaces So close to my perfect screen and one I would pay £2k for.

I cant see anything else close to my ideal screen than this atm though so torn whether to wait (which might mean waiting 2 -3 years more at the pace monitor manufacturers are moving) or just bite the bullet at get this one.

If this 43" Asus or Acer had mini LED then I would live with the slightly reduced colour coverage (still better than the monitor I am currently using anyway)

The Acer screen if its Vesa 1000HDR certified might be worth waiting for as reaching that standard requires a lot

Outstanding local-dimming, high-contrast HDR with advanced specular highlights:

• Peak luminance of 1000 cd/m2 – more than 3x that of typical displays
    • Full-screen flash requirement delivers ultrarealistic effects in gaming and movies
    • Unprecedented long duration, high performance ideal for content creation
  • Local dimming yields 2x contrast increase over DisplayHDR 600
  • Significantly visible increase in color gamut compared to DisplayHDR 400
  • Requires 10-bit image processing
I am not sure any edge lighting local area dimming could be considered as "outstanding" unless they have a lot of edge dimming zones to make up the required number of local dimming areas. I would expect a minimum of 384 to get HDR|1000 status.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am not sure any edge lighting local area dimming could be considered as "outstanding" unless they have a lot of edge dimming zones to make up the required number of local dimming areas. I would expect a minimum of 384 to get HDR|1000 status.

The Philips 436M6VBPAB achieved HDR-1000 status with 32 independently controllable dimming zones... so the Asus certainly won't need 384 to achieve the same, and I am quite certain it won't. Acer would be shouting from the rooftops about that if it were true. I think given the price point, it's more likely to be using this same 32 zones as the Philips, and we can perhaps get a sense how effective this will be by looking at the reviews of that monitor;

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_436m6vbpab.htm#hdr
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-436m6vbpab/#HDR_High_Dynamic_Range

Bottom line, the Philips doesn't do a bad job really, but I'm sure some people will be disappointed if it ends up with just 32 zones, as we all know it would be better with more... albeit more expensive as a result.

Caporegime
Damn, thats disappointing then. :( I basically want the Asus PA32UCX as a 40" screen with 512+ mini LED local dimming and 120Hz or more. If somebody made that tomorrow I would spend £2k on it.

Associate
OP
I read before that the 120" is FALD, the 144" is Edge-Lit so while the Acer may have higher peak brightness the Asus will have better picture quality and dark's, tbh I'll buy the first one to release and then upgrade if the other is better :D

Soldato
I read before that the 120" is FALD, the 144" is Edge-Lit so while the Acer may have higher peak brightness the Asus will have better picture quality and dark's, tbh I'll buy the first one to release and then upgrade if the other is better :D

It will not be FALD.

Back
Top Bottom