• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Could Tease Its Next-Gen Ampere GPU on 7nm at GTC 19

Soldato
We aren't far off - double up on the performance of a 2080ti and we are starting to see playable performance at 1080p at a quality level which would remove most of the path tracing/de-noised artefacts, etc. I think some people are missing as well that the Quake 2 RTX is fully using ray tracing for the lighting model/GI not just some reflective surfaces or basic indirect lighting as some other games are doing like BF V.

EDIT: I've got some time off work coming up so I might try and do a remake of base1 which takes advantage of ray tracing to show it off a bit better.

2x 2080ti 1080p would mean a little over HD res. for a singe 2080ti today which is... a disaster from a gaming perspective; more so when you can have similar results at a way higher performance using traditional methods. I would even say that using that silicon the "old and fake way", would help create a richer experience by putting that extra performance into potential advanced physics, AI, diverse and detail world, etc.

Add in many more RT / Tensor cores and who knows?

Indeed, they may add even a dedicated separate chip on the PCB (multi GPU style), but how many games are out there that make a night and day difference between fake and true RT? For me... none. I can't see one at the horizon who would justify it. Like I wrote above, I think that performance can be put to a greater use elsewhere.

Soldato
2x 2080ti 1080p would mean a little over HD res. for a singe 2080ti today which is... a disaster from a gaming perspective;

People keep peddling the 'disaster' line and it's complete nonsense: it's a harbinger of the future. Double the performance of the 2080 Ti - that will likely be the generation after next, so possibly 2021 - and Quake becomes playable at 4k. And who knows what that will mean for AAA games?

I am enjoying Quake RT.

Soldato
2x 2080ti 1080p would mean a little over HD res. for a singe 2080ti today which is... a disaster from a gaming perspective; more so when you can have similar results at a way higher performance using traditional methods. I would even say that using that silicon the "old and fake way", would help create a richer experience by putting that extra performance into potential advanced physics, AI, diverse and detail world, etc.

Indeed, they may add even a dedicated separate chip on the PCB (multi GPU style), but how many games are out there that make a night and day difference between fake and true RT? For me... none. I can't see one at the horizon who would justify it. Like I wrote above, I think that performance can be put to a greater use elsewhere.

So £2000+ of graphics cards to run at the resolution of a sub £100 monitor with a game which was released in the 1990s. So even if we doubled performance at next generation and that launched at the end of the year,it would be £1000 worth of graphics cards. So even in 2020/2021 we would still be needing £500 to £1000 of graphics cards to run Quake 2 ray traced edition on a sub £100 monitor resolution??

Man of Honour
People keep peddling the 'disaster' line and it's complete nonsense: it's a harbinger of the future. Double the performance of the 2080 Ti - that will likely be the generation after next, so possibly 2021 - and Quake becomes playable at 4k. And who knows what that will mean for AAA games?

I am enjoying Quake RT.

Dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet but cheekily nVidia changed the black hole generator model to an animated nVidia logo :s

Soldato

I am enjoying Quake RT.

I wasn't saying it's not the future, it's just not here yet.Not in a significant way.

So £2000+ of graphics cards to run at the resolution of a sub £100 monitor with a game which was released in the 1990s. So even if we doubled performance at next generation and that launched at the end of the year,it would be £1000 worth of graphics cards. So even in 2020/2021 we would still be needing £500 to £1000 of graphics cards to run Quake 2 ray traced edition on a sub £100 monitor resolution??

Since people say RT scales well with multiple chips, then I guess you could have multiples chips on the same PCB, besides the dedicated normal GPU, but won't be cheap and if it won't be in the consoles with sufficient power to actually make a difference, then I don't see much happening in the near future - perhaps a game or two with some scenes that can truly show the possibilities of RT, significant from a technical perspective.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wasn't saying it's not the future, it's just not here yet.

Since people say RT scales well with multiple chips, then I guess you could have multiples chips on the same PCB, besides the dedicated normal GPU, but won't be cheap and if it won't be in the consoles with sufficient power to actually make a difference, then I don't see much happening in the near future - perhaps a game or two with some scenes that can truly show the possibilities of RT, significant from a technical perspective.

Nvidia when they launched Turing they were talking about the VFX market to investors which means non realtime RT acceleration. This is what Turing is for - not primarily for gaming hence why the cards launched with barely any of the features working properly or hardly any games which is unusual for Nvidia. The fact that many devs got cards really late or even after launch. They are just shoe horning realtime RT into a generation not meant for it. Nvidia is doing this so they can cut the amount of GPU lines they need to develop - instead of separate high end lines they can keep to one. In the past they had multiple high end gaming and commercial lines which did not overlap. All the gaming parts we are buying now are using salvaged GPUs and we are paying for this since the dies are huge. Not a problem for commercial parts,but for a consumer parts more of a problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom