• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Intel fans that have switched back to AMD?

Soldato
The win-win is that AMD is delieratly undercutting Intel pricing model at their top tier. Intel will respond with a few new products but also maybe some price reductions, if they can get the stock that is...

The win win is Intel are hundreds of times bigger than AMD and AMD can only supply a small percentage of the market. Intel win by monopoly.

Associate
The win win is Intel are hundreds of times bigger than AMD and AMD can only supply a small percentage of the market. Intel win by monopoly.
What is the limit on AMD supplying a larger market percentage? Manufacturing is not done by AMD directly... Intel on the other hand have shortages of stock, which impacts their ability to monopolise the market as they cannot meet the demand...

Soldato

My last amd cpu.found the other day lol

Those were the days... I had the AMD64 FX55 2.4GHz and overclocked it to 2.7GHz. Then a few yrs later I upgraded to the AMD64 opteron dualcore cpu and it was like night and day going from the single to the dualcore with some games.... Its been all intel cpu's since the opteron.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hi.

I have been exclusively using Intel CPUs for so long now (put it this way, the last AMD CPU I used was an Athlon XP), that I have inadvertently come to see them as the only choice.

I eventually stopped reading anything on AMD updates as they always seemed to be the lesser choice, compared to Intel - not a conscious decision but happened nevertheless.

There suddenly seems to have been a huge resurgence by AMD and I am trying to get up-to-speed with why/how this has all happened.

I was just looking for opinions on whether AMD and Intel truly are on an equal footing again or whether it is more of a "depends".

As I said, I am not an Intel fan by any means (their socket policy is particularly irritating), it just seems that AMDs progress sort of led me that way.

First of all hi.
I have some questions because I exactly don't understand how an intel fan can switch back to AMD? Aren't fans supposed to stick with their team and be loyal clients? Please explain.
Also, why do you think that the intel CPUs from 2008-2009, namely core 2 quad were better than the Phenom X6?

Associate
Think I had an AMD64 Opteron when they were spanking Intel. Went back to Inter with the I7 920. Sidegraded to 2500k. Been here ever since.
But definitely looking at going AMD when i finally get to upgrade. Cant believe how long i felt i had the i7920 & 2500k for. Just been no need to upgrade that part of the pc. Must be like 10 years+ of it. Same RAM, mobo, PSU as well.

Hopefully Black Friday will actually have some decent sales this year. In 2017 there was some good prices. In 2018 OCUK got very sneaky with system prices. I was really tempted with the Germanium system, it was often on sale with a ever changing % off but I was waiting for Black Friday. When it came it was advertised at like £600 off!!! (or something similar) Im gonna bite..... check description and they switch the Asus RTX2080 to a GTX1080/GTX1070, but advertise the old price & pretend you made the big saving when you werent really. A definite breach of advertising there.

Soldato
Don't know if anyone else has already mentioned this but one of the things that is making me consider moving over to AM4 is no longer having to put up with Intel's rubbish CPU sockets.

I've lost count of the amount of times i've seen people say that their brand new board is either unstable or one of the Ram slots doesn't work only to be rejected by RMA and be told that they must have bent a socket pin even though they are long time system builders and all they done was gently place it in and lock it?

Associate
Intel fan...fanatic? No. But a long term user that's planning on (based on reviews) changing, yes. Zen 2 does have me kind of hyped.

Man of Honour
Don't know if anyone else has already mentioned this but one of the things that is making me consider moving over to AM4 is no longer having to put up with Intel's rubbish CPU sockets.

I've lost count of the amount of times i've seen people say that their brand new board is either unstable or one of the Ram slots doesn't work only to be rejected by RMA and be told that they must have bent a socket pin even though they are long time system builders and all they done was gently place it in and lock it?

I've not really found AMD's sockets any better overall - they each have their pros and cons to work with and honestly having built a lot of systems myself and having previously worked for a place that built systems 9 times out of 10 when there is a bent pin involved it is because the end user has been ham-fisted in installation. (People almost always claim they are oh so experienced and oh so gentle installing it after they've messed up).

I do wish that Intel's original LGA2011 socket was wider adopted with some improvements though it is much easier to work with than most consumer variants, especially if you are installing watercooling and more robust being a reinforced socket physically.

Soldato
The worst thing about AM4 sockets is the cooler mounts. It really felt like I was going to break the motherboard and/or CPU when putting my Wraith Spire on, never had that issue with (admittedly crappy) Intel stock coolers.

Soldato
The worst thing about AM4 sockets is the cooler mounts. It really felt like I was going to break the motherboard and/or CPU when putting my Wraith Spire on, never had that issue with (admittedly crappy) Intel stock coolers.

I felt the same,but the Intel stock coolers are crap if you want to take them off again to clean the fan. The plastic lugs get weaker over time.

Back
Top Bottom