Drain/Toilet advice

Associate
Our downstairs loo is slow flushing at the moment. It’s also making a gurgling noise occasionally. I’ve put down some strong acid cleaner and it seemed to work for a day but it’s blocked again.

So it looks like i’m going to have to get a drain expert out to rod/jet the blockage and got the name of a local tradesman who was recommended to me by my plumber but I also have home emergency cover on the insurance which covers up to £500 work with no hit on the no claims.

Just wondering if to pay up myself to someone recommended to me or go the insurance route.

Also, any idea how much a straight forward rodding/jetting would be in Leicester/central area?

Soldato
I had to have my drains unblocked - He shoved a big plunger down and he struggled but it went in the end - Full manhole and blockage in length between two manholes - That cost me £150 - My drains are pitch and asbestos and had blistered - Had them re-rounded and lined and you do not want to know how much that cost. :eek:

By the way - I did try to unblock it but my rods just went through blockage and didn't shift the ***** - didn't have the plunger bit.

Associate
I also have home emergency cover on the insurance which covers up to £500 work with no hit on the no claims.

If it doesn't affect your no claims, it's a no brainer. All these drainage guys are pretty much the same, so it's not like quality of workmanship is a concern.

Associate
OP
Was away for a few days the other week and our CCTV was sending still images every 30 minutes to us. I saw on one of them a Severn Trent van outside my house so quizzed the neighbor when I got back and it turns out they started having problems also with a gurgling toilet and slow flush. The main drain access is on my other neighbors drive and ST rodded the blockage away so all fixed for now but those neighbor's have only recently moved in leading me to think
they have been flushing all sorts down the toilet.

Anyway, a letter dropped through this week from ST asking if I would like Homeserve plumbing and drain cover for 75p a month for the first year. No claims within first 28 days but thereafter it's up to 3 call outs a year and £4000 cover with £30 excess. Seems like too good to turn down considering but have heard mixed reviews about homeserve in the past.

What's everyone think about homeserve? I guess there's not much to got wrong with rodding or jetting away a blockage?

Associate
Was away for a few days the other week and our CCTV was sending still images every 30 minutes to us. I saw on one of them a Severn Trent van outside my house so quizzed the neighbor when I got back and it turns out they started having problems also with a gurgling toilet and slow flush. The main drain access is on my other neighbors drive and ST rodded the blockage away so all fixed for now but those neighbor's have only recently moved in leading me to think
they have been flushing all sorts down the toilet.

Anyway, a letter dropped through this week from ST asking if I would like Homeserve plumbing and drain cover for 75p a month for the first year. No claims within first 28 days but thereafter it's up to 3 call outs a year and £4000 cover with £30 excess. Seems like too good to turn down considering but have heard mixed reviews about homeserve in the past.

What's everyone think about homeserve? I guess there's not much to got wrong with rodding or jetting away a blockage?

I got offered that "deal" as a referral from south staffs water when I moved into my house, albeit for 50p/month.

I never received any documentation at all from Homeserve about it so I cancelled it after about 4months.

Associate
OP
I got offered that "deal" as a referral from south staffs water when I moved into my house, albeit for 50p/month.

I never received any documentation at all from Homeserve about it so I cancelled it after about 4months.

Did you sign up directly on the homeserve website or just send back the agreement letter from SSW?

Soldato
I was offered one of these Homeserve deals before for 50p a month or something like that for the first year. When I read the small print there was a £30 excess to pay for blocked drains. I can get a local drain unblocker out for £75 so didn't really see it being worth while, especially after the first year is up and you're paying full price.

Associate
OP
I have home emergency cover with my home insurance which would cover the drains in an emergency and the excess for that is £50.

Just wondered if it would be worth it for a year just incase they got blocked again with the neighbors shoving all sorts down the loo.

Lived here for 20 odd years and never an issue until recently when they moved into the rented house next door.

Soldato
I thought if you have shared drains then it's the water companies responsibility to come and unblock them? Sounds a bit scummy them trying to shake off their legal responsibilities by trying to get you and your neighbours to sign up for drain cover.

Associate
This is likely to not be covered under your home emergency cover. Unless it is your only toilet and is actually blocked then they would not cover the costs.

Make sure you check the terms and conditions.

Soldato
It's only a shared connection from a certain point. If problems are only along that part belonging to you alone, it's your responsibility. Homeserve cover bursts, collapses, leaks and so on, but only on your part of the pipe.
From the point after it becomes a shared connection, then it is the water company's job. However, that crossover point isn't always at the exact boundary of your curtilage, either...

As I said if the drain is shared i.e shared connection blocked then it's the water company's responsibility to fix. If it is private and only serves you then you are responsible.

Back
Top Bottom