Modded exhaust noise detectors camera fines are coming.

Associate
BBC News - 'Acoustic cameras' trialled in bid to cut noisy vehicles

Motorists with vehicles breaching legal noise limits could face fines if new "acoustic camera" technology is developed, the government has said.

The Department for Transport will test noise-detecting cameras in various locations over the next seven months.

The move comes after pressure from campaigners in rural communities who say some motorists illegally modify vehicles to amplify the sound.

Much like the way a speed camera works, if a microphone in an acoustic camera detects a vehicle breaching legal noise limits, it triggers a camera to take pictures of the vehicle registration number and any other relevant images to allow a fine to be sent out to the vehicle owner, the government said.

The noise level deemed to be inappropriate is yet to be decided.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hope it is well implemented - especially a recording kept or far too easy for false positives. TBH anyone illegally modifying their vehicles will probably illegally work around being caught while the law abiding will probably suffer the inevitable poor implementation.

Caporegime
I just hope a suitably high dB is chosen for this. Plenty of standard cars that are loud, people should hardly be punished for driving around in something exotic.

The whole exercise seems pointless though as volume isn’t necessarily the problem. Obnoxious aftermarket exhusts for 1l shopping trolleys always sound worse than say a factory sports exhaust on a performance car, yet its likely that the output volume will be similar. The high pitched buzzyness of a sports bike carries for huge distance (we can hear idiots that are clearly speeding on the bypass a mile or so away).

Associate
Pointless! Just like speed cameras people will learn where they are, ease off briefly then continue as normal.

Soldato
If they're fixed then maybe going through with low throttle would not trigger the camera.

I'm all for clamping down on insanely loud exhausts but feel that police with equipment would be more effective and resources should be available to do it that way.

Soldato
Its the small engines with fart cans which are annoying and seem to penetrate walls. Not larger engines with a deep rumble.

But I cant see how this would work reliably tbh. You could coast through it to avoid it and it would also be set off by other noises, especially in urban areas. Why do people think every road problem can be solved with cameras.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's stopping some moron from standing close to one of these detectors and blasting an air horn (for example) every time a car goes past, in order to set it off and lumber the driver with a fine?

Soldato
So when these people get a letter in the post is it just going to be a fine ? Or something along the lines of you need to get your car/bike silenced then bring it down the station to prove it’s been done ?

Edit. I say this because it’s what can happen here if you get pulled by a police car for excessive noise.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good too many bikers around with too loud exhausts, last time I photographed a track day the number of bikers being turned away due to noise restrictions was insane.

One of the main reason I cant wait for the uptake of electric, no need to listen to weekend heroes flying through the village at stupid speeds.

Soldato
It does say modded exhausts.. so one would hope the stock exhausts in most noisy cars will be okay regardless of whether they trip this sound sensor or not.

I just don’t see how this will work :/

Thing is some of the stock ones are very close to the line already and exhausts tend to get slightly louder as they age.

Unless they are talking about people removing resonators entirely, which means the limits will be set very high. You aren't even allowed very loud cars on tracks now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom