• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Troubleshooting help in Wakefield

Soldato
Hi all

I moved to Wakefield 6 months ago and as such don't know anyone up here that can help me with this. My MSI 1070 has started playing up. When changing resolutions and refresh rates (which happen frequently as I game in 1080p/120hz and watch media in 1080p/24hz and 2160p/24hz) the screen goes to like 16 colours, aspect ratio is all messed up, there is just all sorts of image corruption everywhere. It doesn't seem related to bandwidth because 1080p/120hz is ok, 2160p/60hz is ok but then 2160p/24hz corrupts and sometimes 1080p/24hz corrupts. It's just generally unstable and erratic. Pulled the card out and used the iGP for the first time in it's life and it is 100%, albeit 1000% slower. :(

Anyway enough rambling. The help I am after is someone with a rig that is willing to pop my card in and give it a test to see if it is the card at fault or not. If the card appears to work then if you happen to have a card I could try in mine just to see if it's something in my rig that would be super helpful. I could offer up some of your favourite tipple or some cash to sweeten the pot if required. OCUK, help! :)

I just don't want to fork out for a new card and it does the same thing and then I'm stuck.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Are you sure it’s not just a driver issue?

Recently updated the driver? Or tried rolling back to an earlier driver already?

Soldato
OP
I tried rolling back the driver to multiple different versions but no luck. I used DDU too to completely remove any remnants. I'll take a disk image and reinstall Windows and report back.

1903 or stick with 1809 (Windows 10)?

Soldato
OP
So I took an image of my drive, prepped a USB stick, put the 1070 back in and I got some graphical issues during POST so if it is happening outside of Windows then I doubt a re-install is going to help. Doing it now anyway just to cure curiosity. Took a photo of the issue:

oFTm4uE.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yea that went as expected. Soon as it got into Windows and installed a driver to use the graphics card instead of a default driver it stopped outputting, or at least not in a resolution or format that my equipment could understand. It just registered no display. Popped the card out and used the iGP and all is well again.

The reason I suspect it may be the motherboard and the reason I don't just go out and buy a new card is because this is a mITX system in a Corsair 250d case. I had some issues with it previously showing sparkling pixels all over the screen and crashing out etc but I tracked that down to the top of the case pushing on the power cables and causing the motherboard to flex around the PCI-E slot. Took the top cover off the case and it's been fine for 7 months.

So I just need to know where to spend my money.

Soldato
If you're getting graphics issues even before you get to windows then it looks like the card may be on the way out. RMA time if it's still in warranty.

Soldato
OP
Managed to find someone at work who kindly agreed to test the card in their PC. Card is fine, putting it through it's paces now and it's not skipping a beat. I had a hunch. Must be my mobo/pci-e slot.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
If it's just that resolution are you using a decent spec HDMI 2 cable rather than an old generic one?

Soldato
OP
If it's just that resolution are you using a decent spec HDMI 2 cable rather than an old generic one?
No it's a number of resolutions and mostly when doing lower refresh rates which would use less bandwidth. It's been working fine for 6 months with the same cables/set-up.

Back
Top Bottom