DJI Osmo Action

Soldato
OP
Arrived yesterday and I picked up from work today. Had to update the firmware to get it working - Rock Steady wasn't on there - it was called EIS but still seemed to work ok. The DJI Mimo app seems to control it fairly simply - easy to change settings and transfer footage to the mobile.

otcwRtI.jpg

I don't think I've got any mountings to fit it to my bike helmet, so I had a quick wander around the garden - 2.7k 30fps with Rock Steady on. At the end I was waving it (smoothly) up and down, and it seems to cope better than the GoPro 7 Black. The sound is also pretty decent, but that'll change with a smidgen of wind. As with the big GoPro, I just wish these cameras had a different profile - it really isn't good for mounting on the side of a helmet so it'll inevitably end up on the top / chin which I don't particularly like.

Anyway, it seems a step up from the GoPro, so that's going on eBay over the weekend :)

Soldato
OP
I don't, at least not for my motorbike helmet as there I use either a Session 5 or a Ghost Drift X. I need a 'Lego' session - sit down with all the different GoPro attachments and joints and try and work out a new mounting position that doesn't interrupt my vision or airflow.

Soldato
Can someone suggest a good motorbike helmet mount to use with this for the side and for the chin?, i'm geting one of these soon but want to make sure i get a quality mount for it.

Associate
The rocksteady looks very very good .... but its almost like its too smooth sometimes.

Odd to say that I know, but its like when you have the motion smoothing settings switched on on a TV, and it makes motion seem almost false cause we are so used to the slight jitter of TV fps.

In the likes of Kai's video where he running ... whilst the rocksteady clearly does a better job of steadying the footage, I actually preferred the overall motion of the GoPro. You got a better sense of the overall movement of what Kai was doing compared to the DJI.

Soldato
I've been looking at the GoPro Hero 7 Black and have just discovered this as well. Now I'm a bit confused. I've never used a camera like this before (hadn't the need) so I'm not sure which is best for my purposes. All I want to do is film me walking in the countryside either during the day or at night. I'll need a couple of batteries to make sure I always have power. I also want to record my voice when I am walking.

If anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it.

Edit: Oh and I need a head strap.

Soldato
I would say the only issue with the Osmo Action for that, we don't know if it will support external mics. I'm finding the battery on the Osmo Action to be quite impressive though. In 4K 60fps it will last over an hour, in 1080p 30fps it was almost 2 hours.

Soldato
I would say the only issue with the Osmo Action for that, we don't know if it will support external mics. I'm finding the battery on the Osmo Action to be quite impressive though. In 4K 60fps it will last over an hour, in 1080p 30fps it was almost 2 hours.

Thanks for your reply. I was kinda hoping I wouldn't need to use an external microphone as I want this to be as simple to use as possible. My walks will probably be about 4 hours in length.

Back
Top Bottom