Family run store may close after 35 years

Caporegime
Even if we close the store we still have a huge mortgage to pay and closed store.

sell all renaming stock. then lease it out as a barbers or hairdressers or nail salon.

retail is dead or extremely hard. if you have 6 other shops nearby on the same road it will be impossible. i'm guessing your shop has never been done up and people prefer to go to the nicer ones.

you haven't moved with the times likely. it's best you just rent it out.

Soldato
If its an option, Close the shop and put the house/shop up for sale in its entirety and move elsewhere. Unfortunately sentimentality is a great concept but wont pay the bills especially in todays cut throat society. If your parents are concerned about income then, as harsh as it sounds, they should look into getting jobs at local Asda/Sainsburys etc stacking shelves, tills etc. Shouldn't be seen as a failure but a sign of the times. To be honest, it sounds like they have had a bit of a stressful time with all the issues with the shop, they may actually be happier and more stress free.

Given the description of the neighborhood. The best option might well be to close the shop and turn the property into an HMO.

If the area really is turning into a slum where Honest businesses can no longer survive then the window for selling up at a decent price might already have passed you by and perhaps the best option is to become a slum-lord and profit by it. :p :cool:

(I am only half kidding. This might well be a profitable option provided you can handle the agro!)

Soldato
OP
Fair enough, I’d say try diversifying into something else or try to come up with something that you offer that your competition doesn’t.
We have tried a few options but with a small coverage area and so many shops we are very limited, we have tried a few things over the years but it did not lasted long before one of the other does the same, anything too different would not sell very often so we are stuck with stock for ages and the price was also a key issue.

The only shops that does anything different is largest and they have added a butchers and household goods, the other is the one selling fakes. Maybe we could add other things but not much comes to mind.
The daily intake doesn't cover 1 persons wage.
Your getting robbed daily
The loyal customers have gone.
You let nostalgia rule your head in 2010 and took out a re mortgage when its not sounding like it was financially a good idea back then.

If you have no loyal customers and your getting robbed daily who exactly are you expecting to shop at any new business venture.

Open a turkish hairdressers, staff it 24 -7 . use it for money laundering. If you need advice about that, speak to the guys robbing you, they will have some contacts.

If your all working other jobs then surely just selling everything you can and then renting out the building is a sensible option.
Yes most days you cant even cover a wage.

The guys that rob us are normally kids or young eastern europeans.

Renting out maybe the best option

Have you tried doing some research by asking existing customers and maybe door knocking in the area?
No, we have not tried that, knocking on door would not really work IMO because most of the customer will have a hard time speaking English and the other half would rather not be disturbed TBH.

If its an option, Close the shop and put the house/shop up for sale in its entirety and move elsewhere. Unfortunately sentimentality is a great concept but wont pay the bills especially in todays cut throat society. If your parents are concerned about income then, as harsh as it sounds, they should look into getting jobs at local Asda/Sainsburys etc stacking shelves, tills etc. Shouldn't be seen as a failure but a sign of the times. To be honest, it sounds like they have had a bit of a stressful time with all the issues with the shop, they may actually be happier and more stress free.
TBO Sentimentality is the only reason the shop is still open.
The area has become below average, unless things change it will keep going down.

I think the main reason is the drastic change, number of corner shops opening up in the past few years and in the past it was a mix of families white, black, Asians and Europeans but now it mostly people from eastern Europe which would not be a case but they prefer as the shops ran by Europeans and only look at price.

sell all renaming stock. then lease it out as a barbers or hairdressers or nail salon.

retail is dead or extremely hard. if you have 6 other shops nearby on the same road it will be impossible. i'm guessing your shop has never been done up and people prefer to go to the nicer ones.

you haven't moved with the times likely. it's best you just rent it out.
it is near impossible so we are considering the option,

We did do up the shop a few years ago and the shop is in better condition than most on the road and one of the larger selections.
some people may think im being a little raciest but , IMO the Europeans in the area discriminate more then a little, they prefer to visit the shops ran buy other Europeans which is 3 of the stores and dont mind buying fakes as long as its cheap, Price is key for them. We only survive due to the things the others dont do ( sweets, frozen food, other odds)

The only shops that survive in the 21st century are:

- gambling shops (someone has mentioned bookies already)
- pawnbrokers
- charity shops
- coffee shops
- phone shops
- social vaping
- £1 / 99p stores

Become one of those.

pawnbrokers A Independent one wont last one closed down due to getting robbed and we have a ladbrokes down the road

Charity shops I dont think that will work, you wold need donations but I dont expect that to happen.

- coffee shops - Not sure it would work in the area unless its was cheap.

- phone shops Maybe but it would need knowledge and investment things move a little faster.

- social vaping - Not a chance, We have tried selling normal vape pens and other bits but we dont sell much. price again.

- £1 / 99p stores - This maybe a option but the pound lines are getting smaller and smaller, look at pound world.

most things we wont know unless we try but going by the mentality its all about price.

Buy a shaver and become a barbers or just rent your premises out to those skilled enough to do it.
I'm not sure about this, We have 3 on the same road 4th just off road a 5th one just closed a few months ago,

Going by the sudden spike of cash launderers barbers and nail bars over the past few years, I reckon this is a decent shout.
I reckon its mostly because it need the least work, ( you dont need much or any English, dont need any education, and you can learn from another barber then open your own) all the work is cash work as self employed and its all profit plus I expect a lot dont declare much.

Given the description of the neighborhood. The best option might well be to close the shop and turn the property into an HMO.

If the area really is turning into a slum where Honest businesses can no longer survive then the window for selling up at a decent price might already have passed you by and perhaps the best option is to become a slum-lord and profit by it. :p :cool:

(I am only half kidding. This might well be a profitable option provided you can handle the agro!)
Its nowhere near that bad that bad yet, the area is still good some. the houses are good, even some of the people are good.

if you go by paper and the outside its a good area, ( Nice houses, Good rated school and nursery, Good GP, Clean Park, Dentist, options, Barbers, corner Shops butchers,) plus some other

it's just the some people and the number of the same type of shops withing walking distance are bringing the area down, things may change in a few years but dont know how long we could survive the bad time.

Associate
Don't go a cafe.
We've run a 96 cover, upmarket cafe for over 25 years. By an upmarket cafe I mean all home made/baked & table service.
If your completly small scale, as in a couple partnership who work 7 days a week & take wages, maybe slightly plus it could work, but you won't be rich, you will just be your own boss.
For us, even though we are full daily, the cost of being middle market, it's been a constant squeeze over the last 6 years with wage/rates/pension/food cost inflation.
Not being in a city & in the north, means we can't charge more than these costs are increasing.
Soon we either go self service, endlessly put prices up more than standard inflation, which has been reducing customers, or turn it into higher end dining, which turns away the core customers of a day time cafe over a restaurant(again we are not in a city but has the same wage costs)

We have other businesses, so in essence we keep it going as it is subsidised by our other enterprises, but the work involved is an ever diminishing small return for the work involved.
It will in my view, sadly be the first to go in a Corbyn government, as it will never be able to stand his labour costs, which will be a shame for our employees.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Don't go a cafe.
We've run a 96 cover, upmarket cafe for over 25 years. By an upmarket cafe I mean all home made/baked & table service.
If your completly small scale, as in a couple partnership who work 7 days a week & take wages, maybe slightly plus it could work, but you won't be rich, you will just be your own boss.
For us, even though we are full daily, the cost of being middle market, it's been a constant squeeze over the last 6 years with wage/rates/pension/food cost inflation.
Not being in a city & in the north, means we can't charge more than these costs are increasing.
Soon we either go self service, endlessly put prices up more than standard inflation, which has been reducing customers, or turn it into higher end dining, which turns away the core customers of a day time cafe over a restaurant(again we are not in a city but has the same wage costs)

We have other businesses, so in essence we keep it going as it is subsidised by our other enterprises, but the work involved is an ever diminishing small return for the work involved.
It will in my view, sadly be the first to go in a Corbyn government, as it will never be able to stand his labour costs, which will be a shame for our employees.
We have the same problem, the store is a in small town which is north, on the outer side of town, even the town has 25% of empty stores,

I dont know if other agree but I think the biggest problem is the government, everything else is down but they put up the cost, even if we can cover the rent and bills the business rates are stupid, then you have the normal returns.

Ever look at city center units, business rates are normally double the normal rent, then they wonder why so many towns are dead.

Man of Honour
Yeah these kind of small businesses are dead unless they happen to be in a spot with little competition and a reason for demand.

You could look at becoming a collection point for the likes of Amazon but usually they pay very little if anything and you can only hope to capitalise from the increased footfall hopefully meaning more custom...

The only way a lot of these smaller businesses are going to survive really is where they can setup a discrete concession within a larger business (shop in shop).

I'd echo what a lot of people have said above you'd be best renting the space out to someone who can run one of the types of shop that are still making an income unless you can find some way to diversify or another unique selling point.

EDIT: If theft is a serious problem you might be best changing the layout so as to have more stuff, especially anything of value, behind the counter or on display within the counter, etc. even maybe going as far as mimicking something like Argos - I know a couple of places around where I just moved from have resorted to that (hopefully that doesn't result in more serious types of crime to rob you though :| ).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah these kind of small businesses are dead unless they happen to be in a spot with little competition and a reason for demand.

You could look at becoming a collection point for the likes of Amazon but usually they pay very little if anything and you can only hope to capitalise from the increased footfall hopefully meaning more custom...

The only way a lot of these smaller businesses are going to survive really is where they can setup a discrete concession within a larger business (shop in shop).

I'd echo what a lot of people have said above you'd be best renting the space out to someone who can run one of the types of shop that are still making an income unless you can find some way to diversify or another unique selling point.
We already do Collect plus but like you said pay is very little and the customers picking up never buy anything.

Not many options we have not tried.

I cant say for sure but I dont think the others are not all legit or by the book so they are profitable.

I think we will think on some ideas consider if anything will work but it mostly split the store and rent unless someone want to take the complete store.

Last edited:
Soldato
There was a butchers called Gilberts in Reading, I used to get all my meat from there. Last time I was back in the UK I found out the hard way they had to shut down. Replaced by a tacky mobile phone 'repair' shop. Broke my heart :(

Associate
I don't understand why the mortgage is such an issue. You remortgaged in 2010 so it's likely you have equity. If you haven't got any equity in 9 years then something has gone badly badly wrong. Sell up and move on.

I have friends who own some property in less salubrious areas they are making a bomb with HMOs where the area is high in migrant workers. Not really my thing but if you want to make money and don't have the ingenuity in retail then it's an option.

I had a similar conversation a couple of years ago with somebody who's family was from Bangladesh. He was bemoaning the Eastern Europeans who had come over and undercut his family store and it was facing closure. On the flip side I have school friends whos Sikh father ran a store, saw the writing on the wall for small shops, and used the profits so that all his children trained as professionals. He's now comfortably retired and the children take care of themselves. Same scenario, different outcome.

Times change, sounds like your family need a good long honest look at how viable your business is and bite the bullet.

Soldato
If the majority of your market is European you'll only do well if you're offering products they are looking for (the basics they'll get anywhere, including the big supermarkets. If you don't offer the specialities they'll go somewhere that does and get their basics there too). It's hard to know what product range to offer coming from the outside, and don't think 'eastern europe' is a demographic - countries and regions dominate (think as a brit ex-pat, would someone coming from kent hanker over the same foods from home as a geordie or a scot?).

Do your research, get some surveys done, ask questions - once you know your target market find wholesalers who can supply you, consider getting magazines or newspapers (albeit a day after press) delivered (sale or return could be difficult so be careful, it's a very time sensitive product).

V F

V F

Soldato
The only shops that survive in the 21st century are:

- gambling shops (someone has mentioned bookies already)
- pawnbrokers
- charity shops
- coffee shops
- phone shops
- social vaping
- £1 / 99p stores

Become one of those.

I've not seen many surive in many towns nowadays. All the repair shops has died near me, even though they had contracted phones/sim cards. Soon as their phone has problems they buy a new contracted phone online. While still paying off the last one.

Even the charity shops are fading away. As is the coffee shops unless you're a Starbuck or Costa that everyone wants to be seen in or carrying.

Only the Gambling, chemist, vaping/smokes/drink, Pound/land shops, Greggs, Specsavers and chip/curry/chinese shops exist in towns near me. Even the tattoo shops closed up and has been through multiple hands until no more.

Dentist and hair dressers seems to be hidden in obscure places now compared to the past.

Soldato
Family run general store / newsagents may close after 35 years.

What are you thoughts ?
A few of the small general stores over here changed to mainly selling food for lunches like Chips ,baguettes, Sausage rolls , burgers, Sandwiches etc etc and they seem to be doing pretty well. They seem to be always busy

Soldato
OP
I don't understand why the mortgage is such an issue. You remortgaged in 2010 so it's likely you have equity. If you haven't got any equity in 9 years then something has gone badly badly wrong. Sell up and move on.

I have friends who own some property in less salubrious areas they are making a bomb with HMOs where the area is high in migrant workers. Not really my thing but if you want to make money and don't have the ingenuity in retail then it's an option.

I had a similar conversation a couple of years ago with somebody who's family was from Bangladesh. He was bemoaning the Eastern Europeans who had come over and undercut his family store and it was facing closure. On the flip side I have school friends whos Sikh father ran a store, saw the writing on the wall for small shops, and used the profits so that all his children trained as professionals. He's now comfortably retired and the children take care of themselves. Same scenario, different outcome.

Times change, sounds like your family need a good long honest look at how viable your business is and bite the bullet.
To tell you the truth I dont think my parents have checked to see if it has any equity I only recently found out how bad it was, I dont even really know too much about the issue other then the basics and what I have seen as you can see but they have been more focused on the shop to get it running better like you said they did not want to admit the problem.

I think its the sentimentality and attachment to the store that had my parents and grand farther refusing to give up, but now they dont have much choice they need to see if they can make anything of it or give up and try something else.

Back
Top Bottom