• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Who cares about TDP for a desktop?

People dont care about what the TDP is of their desktop, thats not in the context of what im speaking about. When comparing the two products, it doesnt stack up, there maybe something else going on with the chip for there to be a large reduction in core/thread count at a lower freq for the same TDP/power draw.

Even the tech press are baffled by this.

Soldato
Don't buy it tbh. Binning can get you higher clocks with 4 extra cores at same TDP? If that's the case then there must be a wild consistent sling in silicon quality.

I’d be tempted to say do buy if it’s know the chip is built from chips that didn’t hit the power envelope for the server market. They will probably overclock well without the TDP shackles.

Last edited:
Associate
I think the 3700X is just a 2700X on 7nm with similar boost clocks, so a couple of cores hitting 4.4Ghz keeping it at 65w.

3800X boosting to 4.5Ghz on at least 4 cores depending on when it hits that 105w.

3900X maybe similar to the 3800X with only a couple of cores hitting 4.6Ghz keeping it within that 105w.

Obviously base clocks have a part to play with these chips.

But what do i know, Im just guessing.. like everyone else :)

Don
It’s also worth bearing in mind that there is three big contributors to TDP on Zen2, the I/O die, the chiplet and then the 2nd chiplet, if installed.

I can definitely see there being different SKUs for 1x8 and 2x4.

The 12c has to be 2x6, also the 6c pretty much had to 1x6 as 2x3 I believe isn’t possible.

Associate
I think the 3700X is just a 2700X on 7nm with similar boost clocks, so a couple of cores hitting 4.4Ghz keeping it at 65w.

3800X boosting to 4.5Ghz on at least 4 cores depending on when it hits that 105w.

3900X maybe similar to the 3800X with only a couple of cores hitting 4.6Ghz keeping it within that 105w.

Obviously base clocks have a part to play with these chips.

But what do i know, Im just guessing.. like everyone else :)

This is kinder what i am thinking, something different about how it boosts etc. Because if it was due to binning, then the second most expensive CPU has the worst silicon.

Permabanned
It’s also worth bearing in mind that there is three big contributors to TDP on Zen2, the I/O die, the chiplet and then the 2nd chiplet, if installed.

I can definitely see there being different SKUs for 1x8 and 2x4.

The 12c has to be 2x6, also the 6c pretty much had to 1x6 as 2x3 I believe isn’t possible.
at lest 2 of us here see it as possible option.
Ill get 12 core cause going from binned 2700x to 3800x is not upgrade strong enough. Worst case ill end up with 12x4250 with those 7-15% ipc gain over my cpu.

Soldato
A does not equal the? In his defence he never said it was the gaming chip?!

People are reading into things that aren’t there. They absolutely launched the 12 core as a gaming CPU... it’s right there in the slide and she said AMD is bringing 12 cores to gaming as she introduced it.

Anyone claiming to know that the 3800X will be THE best gaming chip from their line up is simply full of it. We simply have no idea at the moment and there are several factors that could swing it either way...

Associate

People are reading into things that aren’t there. They absolutely launched the 12 core as a gaming CPU... it’s right there in the slide and she said AMD is bringing 12 cores to gaming as she introduced it.

Anyone claiming to know that the 3800X will be THE best gaming chip from their line up is simply full of it. We simply have no idea at the moment and there are several factors that could swing it either way.

No one is claiming they know anything. People simply saying the think or expect it to be based on CPU specs Vs TDP.

Soldato
With all due respect there certainly are some that are claiming to know... we have absolutely no context for what Lisa said when she introduced the 3800X. What she actually said was that the 3800X “is now the 8 core device for the enthusiast gamer”.

Certain people are seemingly taking that and running with it without actually listening to what she said. That doesn’t mean it’s THE best gaming CPU, it doesn’t mean the 12 core is THE best gaming CPU... without context it means very little other than the 3800X is their (current) top 8 core offering.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Anyone claiming to know that the 3800X will be THE best gaming chip from their line up is simply full of it. We simply have no idea at the moment and there are several factors that could swing it either way...

With all due respect there certainly are some that are claiming to know... we have absolutely no context for what Lisa said when she introduced the 3800X. What she actually said was that the 3800X “is now the 8 core device for the enthusiast gamer”.

Certainly people are seemingly taking that and running with it without actually listening to what she said. That doesn’t mean it’s THE best gaming CPU, it doesn’t mean the 12 core is THE best gaming CPU... without context it means very little other than the 3800X is their (current) top 8 core offering.

Exactly, People are claiming the 3800x is THE gaming CPU...when no one actually knows...

Now the probable reason is that those wanting the 3800x can not afford the 3900x due to not having enough hours doing their paper rounds...

Associate
Exactly, People are claiming the 3800x is THE gaming CPU...when no one actually knows...

Now the probable reason is that those wanting the 3800x can not afford the 3900x due to not having enough hours doing their paper rounds...

I said I expect the 3800x to be stronger as I feel there is something else at play with TDP situation.

This has nothing to do with people affording CPUs, what a ridiculous baiting comment. If you are spending $400 on a CPU, they can certianly afford $500 on the next best (if the performance is there).

Caporegime
I said I expect the 3800x to be stronger as I feel there is something else at play with TDP situation.

This has nothing to do with people affording CPUs, what a ridiculous baiting comment. If you are spending $400 on a CPU, they can certianly afford $500 on the next best.

Not really...People are already moaning about X570 costs....They seem to think that AMD owes them something due to their sycophancy.

Associate
Not really...People are already moaning about X570 costs....They seem to think that AMD owes them something due to their sycophancy.

People maybe moaning about motherboards, that we dont know the full prices of as of yet. But we know the price of the CPUs, doesnt change the fact if you are in the market for a $400 CPU then another $100 is affordable if it yields a decent performance lift with the tasks they want to perform.

Caporegime
People maybe moaning about motherboards, that we dont know the full prices of as of yet. But we know the price of the CPUs, doesnt change the fact if you are in the market for a $400 CPU then another $100 is affordable if it yields a decent performance lift with the tasks they want to perform.

For some yes, But not all...

That 100 could be the difference in getting a next tier GPU or another 16GB of ram....

Soldato
That is definitely a different argument. To state that you think the 3800X is going to be the better overall gaming CPU because same TDP over less cores is something based on merit - it may well prove to be incorrect since we simply don’t know what’s behind it, but it’s a reasonably sound thought process.

What I’m finding slightly tedious is seeing certain individuals preaching as gospel that the almighty Lisa Su herself said it would be THE gaming chip. She actually did not say anything of the sort as I pointed out... and I wonder if people actually watched the presentation and listened to what she said or just heard what they want to hear.

I’m really looking forward to benchmarks, in no small part because it will stop some of the pointless back and forth in here!

Back
Top Bottom