• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
I wish people would stop trotting out lines like this and actually breakdown whether the effects and advancements over traditional rendering techniques are worth it. Something that screenshots ultimately poorly show as statically older lighting techniques can look quite good it is when you have movement in the scene the differences really start to show.

Starts to show the flaws you mean. Like poor FPS and distortion on certain objects. Oh yea and the blurred image thanks to DLSS.

Soldato
I find it funny that enthusiasts who were going on how they need mega high FPS and 4K monitors,on how 30FPS was for acceptable for console users not PCMR,seem to think a £1000+ card running a game at 30FPS on a resolution sub £100 monitor have is an achievement.

Soldato
I find it funny that enthusiasts who were going on how they need mega high FPS and 4K monitors,on how 30FPS was for acceptable for console users not PCMR,seem to think a £1000+ card running a game at 30FPS on a resolution sub £100 monitor have is an achievement.

Dunno about you but all the AAA rtx games I’ve tried do 4K 60

Soldato
Its not ******* worth it, 18fps on a £1300+ card, in a game thats 22yrs old, is not acceptable in the ******* slightest, which every way you look at it.
Ye, Quake 2 is a good demo to show what ray tracing can do, but it's still not really ready. Hopefully the 3xxx series will be able to do really good 1440p performance, maybe I'll get the 3080 or the Ti. Of course normal games will run really good, but the reason i skipped this series of cards is because of the stupid pricing as well as not seeing any new games i want to play, 980Ti was half the cost of the new 2080Ti's, silly increase in cost. Glad to have kept my money instead.

Associate
Its not ******* worth it, 18fps on a £1300+ card, in a game thats 22yrs old, is not acceptable in the ******* slightest, which every way you look at it.
I've seen Jokers video... It's not a 22year old game. It's a complete rework of a 22year old game with the same polygon count, and everything rendered is fully done by the GPU and everything is ray tracing in real time - not just tiny bits that get ray traced like in BF5 or Metro Exodus - it is everything. That is what most don't seem to get - and the fact they polygon count remains the same as from the original game, but that is also it.
It is still an impressive feat in 4k nevertheless.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This RTX owner isn't impressed-in the slightest!

I'd impressed if NV spent that budget on getting another AAA out the door like they promised last year.

Whoever okay'd spending money on QII RTX, while the other promised RTX titles are still mia should be out on their arse!

He has to be impressed though, as hes got 2x of the buggers (Ti's) :p

Associate

If I'd spent the best part of 2.5 - 3k on two GPUs, there is no way I would even admit to being less than impressed, otherwise I'd be admitting it was a waste of money ;)

Like mentioned elsewhere, I think there would be more interest in Nvidia supporting RTX on new games than creating what amounts to a technology showcase by recreating such an old game with these added features.

I'm not sure what that says about RTX tech right now if they feel it provides a better demonstration by hacking QII with RT added on rather than putting resources into newer titles.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've seen Jokers video... It's not a 22year old game. It's a complete rework of a 22year old game with the same polygon count, and everything rendered is fully done by the GPU and everything is ray tracing in real time - not just tiny bits that get ray traced like in BF5 or Metro Exodus - it is everything. That is what most don't seem to get - and the fact they polygon count remains the same as from the original game, but that is also it.
It is still an impressive feat in 4k nevertheless.

I think it is something a lot of people just don't get because they can't really see it for themselves or understand the technical implications.

Associate

Thats just an easy way not to dig into what ray tracing actually is. Toy Story from 1996 every single frame with ray tracing took 4hours to render, compare that to a real time render that can deliver playable frame rates now.

Owning RTX cards or not I still think it's a impressive feat.

I never bought my RTX cards because of the ray tracing support but purely because of the 'ordinary' rasterizer performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's funny how people see this kind of thing as acceptable. I would not accept anything less then the same frame rates without ray tracing now on a card with ray tracing "capabilities".

Yes the tech is impressive and requires massive amounts of power to run 100% but I'd rather have more power at 4k then reinventing the wheel unless that wheel has the same performance as the current one. If that makes sense of course....

Back
Top Bottom