Family run store may close after 35 years

Soldato
Change what you sell.

Assess what else is available around you and what type of customers you have. I mean are you in a town/city where you might have more customers that don't drive.

Perhaps change to something completely different, like a decorating store, cafe or estate / letting agents. The latter being something that wouldn't suffer from theft.

Man of Honour
I think its the sentimentality and attachment to the store that had my parents and grand farther refusing to give up, but now they dont have much choice they need to see if they can make anything of it or give up and try something else.

Might not just be sentimentality they might somehow think they are letting your grand father down, etc. if they give up on it. (Well that is kind of still sentimentality but not just out of some kind of nostalgia, etc.).

Soldato
OP
Might not just be sentimentality they might somehow think they are letting your grand father down, etc. if they give up on it. (Well that is kind of still sentimentality but not just out of some kind of nostalgia, etc.).
Im thinking of work at the shop on one of my days off to get the best idea of things, see it running and see whats possible if anything,

in the likely case nothing can be done we will just need to closes and move on.

Soldato
OP
What are the other stores doing that you aren't?
Nothing other then the ones that sell the fake fags and booze, they only do the very basics.

The only one that does anything different is the one with butchers.

Ever thought about picking up a franchise, Londis, Spar, One Stop, Budgens...?
Yes but I dont think think we would make any money, it would just be a extra cost for a name that does nothing.

Adapt. Do what everyone else is doing but better.
Yes Im thinking of spending some time working and learning as much as possible about the store to see what can be done.
This will help me see if anything can be done.

Still doesn't help the council rates are insane.
They seam to be the only one doing well.

Associate
Yes but I dont think think we would make any money, it would just be a extra cost for a name that does nothing.

Have you actually entertained the idea though? Seems like you have just written it off as a bad idea...?

Maybe worth speaking to these types of people to see what they can do for you :)

Certain models will invest in your store to implement tried and tested ways of working, surely worth a shot, right?

Soldato
OP
Have you actually entertained the idea though? Seems like you have just written it off as a bad idea...?

Maybe worth speaking to these types of people to see what they can do for you :)

Certain models will invest in your store to implement tried and tested ways of working, surely worth a shot, right?
Yes we did in the past, we had look at a few, one of the main problem was you could only by stock from them and the cost was above average, so any savings we could get by shopping around would be lost and the prices was more than standard.

The 2nd was you had to buy everything from them even the over priced crap no one ever buys and new items.

We buy from some suppliers at the moment if they push anything new, they give you discount to try and if it does not sell before the sell by date they take it back later, we wont be able to do that.

Other then that you also have some other fees, for the brand, support, refit to come in line with the design they use , but like you said its worth a shot checking again.

We all know most people do at least one weekly at the supermarket and not much you cant get anymore.

So I would like to ask what do you buy at your local shop.why and do you spend much.

from the times I did help out at the shop I find most customer will only buy the basics that go out of date like milk bread, things you cant wait for cost the same or less locally cigarettes, drinks, ice pops, crisps, chocolates, sweets, salt, or liquid, washing powder.
this is what we survive on .

even then customers will only buy what they need nothing else, in the past some would come buy milk they would buy a few other things at the same time even if they just came for milk, cigarettes, a drink ect now thats not the case.

Last edited:
Caporegime
FYI - My family rent out shops. Majority of my friends own several shops.

They seem to favour keystore up here but have you tried going down the franchise route? They will usually do up your store for free but you need to pay for fridges and shelving, etc. You then need to buy the majority of your stock through them. They usually deliver, etc so you don't need a van unless you plan on picking up deals from elsewhere on the side.

I'd like to see some pictures of the shop tbh. People think their shop is amazing but I could whatsapp you some of my mates stores to show you what a successful store looks like inside. Turning out £2K+ profit per week.

You keep on saying cheap fags and booze and tbh in a scheme price is king. You are dearer than the competition. If you can't compete on price then you need to compete on quality. But I would try to compete on price in a scheme tbh if your customers don't care about quality.

Make sure your milk, fags, booze, rolls, you know the daily stuff is cheaper than the competition.

If they are doing illegal fags and booze then report them.

You need to compete on price and plaster those prices in HUGE posters in your windows.

Start selling morning rolls; roll and bacon, roll and sausage. As long as you don't have a fryer it's all good. A fryer requires proper licensing, etc I believe and proper ventilation and ducting installed. So you won't pass regulations without spending a fortune. So you can't do chips unfortunately unless you have that in place but if it's already there then do chips. Try and use lard instead of oil as the taste is what pulls punters/kids in.

Fags is a big thing in scheme shops as is booze. The reason why your competition is doing so well is because they are cheaper in those 2 very important departments.

Caporegime
Yes we did in the past, we had look at a few, one of the main problem was you could only by stock from them and the cost was above average, so any savings we could get by shopping around would be lost and the prices was more than standard.

The 2nd was you had to buy everything from them even the over priced crap no one ever buys and new items.

We buy from some suppliers at the moment if they push anything new, they give you discount to try and if it does not sell before the sell by date they take it back later, we wont be able to do that.

Other then that you also have some other fees, for the brand, support, refit to come in line with the design they use , but like you said its worth a shot checking again.

We all know most people do at least one weekly at the supermarket and not much you cant get anymore.

So I would like to ask what do you buy at your local shop.why and do you spend much.

from the times I did help out at the shop I find most customer will only buy the basics that go out of date like milk bread, things you cant wait for cost the same or less locally cigarettes, drinks, ice pops, crisps, chocolates, sweets, salt, or liquid, washing powder.
this is what we survive on .

even then customers will only buy what they need nothing else, in the past some would come buy milk they would buy a few other things at the same time even if they just came for milk, cigarettes, a drink ect now thats not the case.

You don't need to buy all your stock through them. Just buy whats cheap and then use elsewhere too. It's what all my mates do.

They will usually do a manual cigarette run to the cheapest supplier in the city in one big go per week.

I know they should only be using 1 cash and carry as they are franchised but I know for a fact they go to at least 2-3 others too for stock.

Again price is king here. You need to run it like a proper business and wherever you can save £1 is another £ in your own pocket.

Man of Honour
You could also try the signing up as a DPD / Myhermes etc drop off point

Generally doesn't pay much in some cases they barely pay cost. So unless you can capitalise on the footfall it is limited in how much it helps.

I assume they get paid for each drop/delivery

DPD does some of the others just pay a basic stipend and a lot of blah about it raising the profile of your business, etc.

Caporegime
I was going to suggest this too. I've seen a few spring up near me. I assume they get paid for each drop/delivery but it also attracts footfall into the shop.

Ha you would be amazed at how little power shops have.

They are being screwed everywhere. The big brands hold all the power.

My mates were saying now they are being told if you want a cash machine in your shop it's going to cost you £30 a month, on top of the electricity and network charges and you won't be getting any commission either. Some will get 5p or 10p commission but the machine charges £3 for a withdrawal.

Soldato
OP
FYI - My family rent out shops. Majority of my friends own several shops.

They seem to favour keystore up here but have you tried going down the franchise route? They will usually do up your store for free but you need to pay for fridges and shelving, etc. You then need to buy the majority of your stock through them. They usually deliver, etc so you don't need a van unless you plan on picking up deals from elsewhere on the side.

I'd like to see some pictures of the shop tbh. People think their shop is amazing but I could whatsapp you some of my mates stores to show you what a successful store looks like inside. Turning out £2K+ profit per week.

You keep on saying cheap fags and booze and tbh in a scheme price is king. You are dearer than the competition. If you can't compete on price then you need to compete on quality. But I would try to compete on price in a scheme tbh if your customers don't care about quality.

Make sure your milk, fags, booze, rolls, you know the daily stuff is cheaper than the competition.

If they are doing illegal fags and booze then report them.

You need to compete on price and plaster those prices in HUGE posters in your windows.

Start selling morning rolls; roll and bacon, roll and sausage. As long as you don't have a fryer it's all good. A fryer requires proper licensing, etc I believe and proper ventilation and ducting installed. So you won't pass regulations without spending a fortune. So you can't do chips unfortunately unless you have that in place but if it's already there then do chips. Try and use lard instead of oil as the taste is what pulls punters/kids in.

Fags is a big thing in scheme shops as is booze. The reason why your competition is doing so well is because they are cheaper in those 2 very important departments.
Well to be honest I think it would be best for them to rent it out the space, my parents are not young (50/60) we only let them carry on because they wanted to still do it, my sister was taking it over shes never helping if she does its a short time, so unless she plus her finger out it of no use keeping it running.

We have thought about the franchise route, in the past but we did not find it justifiable, The cost of refit shop front, revamping, the new equipment fridge, freezer ect) plus being limited to just them would, some even had a fee.

The only one that would be making money would be the franchise.

Ill send you some photos when I get a chance to visit, you can send me some if you want.
Also I must assume the store making 25k a week must be in a larger city in the south with not many stores in a walking distance, am I correct ?
I think our location is a big factor.

I dont think I said cheap booze and fags if I did I meant fake or un-taxed booze and fags.

Milk, bread we get daily but you cant get them cheaper they have been a standard price for ages, fags and booze we cant do cheaper if they they sell fakes.

They have been reported a number of times nothing much happens.

(You need to compete on price and plaster those prices in HUGE posters in your windows.) This is a key thing I missed, dont have huge signs and something are not priced, which I have been considering may help.

I have been thinking about warm foods, we even considered selling fries, it could work because we sell sandwiches and they do well.

You could also try the signing up as a DPD / Myhermes etc drop off point
We already offer Collect plus, it does nothing for us.most people just get the parcel and leave

Caporegime
Rent it out. Get someone to sign a long lease 24/25 years and your sorted. Rent review every 3 years.

Just as an example one of ours is £75k for a 25 year lease then £25k per year rent.

Sitting on your bum in the house collecting £500 a week for doing nothing.

All repairs need to be done by the leaseholders and it has to be handed back in a fit state.

This is scheme shops. Where people don't have cars or many large shops nearby within walking distance. In and around Glasgow. Some a 30 minute drive from the city centre so not huge towns.

Back
Top Bottom