17 year old girl allowed to kill herself Legally

Associate
I did read she was raped and had a lot of issues but that does not mean her future is doomed. She was physically fine and could have contributed to society.

Clearly she thought it was hence ending her life. It's easy to say that when you haven't been what she had been through.

Soldato
i simply don't believe that there is a trauma that cannot be managed given the right help - and i don't believe the majority of the medical community believes it either.

Yet there are so many people that get professional help and still don't come out the other side. Even big hollywood stars that have everything they could dream of and can afford the best help money can buy, don't always beat mental illness.

Caporegime
so anyone and everyone who wants to kill themselves should just be allowed.....because at that moment in time that's what they thought they wanted? it's really not as simple as you say.

Yes it is, unless they are utterly mentally unstable in the sense that they don’t actually know what’s going on, it’s their decision.

It’s not a question of allowance, it’s a question of proving they have something to live for, that’s the only time another person should submit their opinion on the matter. Every other time is a partly selfish endeavour, though as long as you accept that you aren’t just doing it for them, then at least the exchange can be honest.

You cant espouse libertarian/liberal/whatever ideas and deny people their choices.

Soldato
unless they are utterly mentally unstable in the sense that they don’t actually know what’s going on
so it's not just as simple as letting everyone who wants to kill themselves just 'have at it' - there's situations where it's not clear cut? that was the purpose of my post, i'm glad we're in agreement. :)

Caporegime
I think if a successful, polite, well learned man like Anthony Bourdain can off themselves, it’s lamentable, but some people just lose the will to continue.

A lot of the time they just do it, no warning, no chance to fight for them or say goodbye.

People deserve as many chances as possible, and you may not like the idea of giving a facilitation, but it provides one such moment to catch them.

Caporegime
The gift is life itself given by god.
No it's not, it's given by parents.

What we do with it is another matter.
Agreed.

We have no right to take our own life (seven deadly sins).
The law dictates that, not a book.

No doubt you’ll be confused at my response as well lol
Not confused but weary.

Life is precious.... it can’t be thrown away.
Agreed but there's a distinction between throwing away and choosing to let something go.

Soldato
I think if a successful, polite, well learned man like Anthony Bourdain can off themselves, it’s lamentable, but some people just lose the will to continue.

A lot of the time they just do it, no warning, no chance to fight for them or say goodbye.

People deserve as many chances as possible, and you may not like the idea of giving a facilitation, but it provides one such moment to catch them.
Is that reply for me?

Caporegime
so anyone and everyone who wants to kill themselves should just be allowed.....because at that moment in time that's what they thought they wanted? it's really not as simple as you say.
Allowed you say? How do you even propose to stop someone who is determined to end their life from doing so?

Man of Honour
because at that moment in time that's what they thought they wanted?

I don't think anyone seriosly suggests that there should not be robust checks and balances to ensure someone is making a reasoned decision and that they have capacity to make that decision. Decisions such as these should not be made in the moment (although to be fair, many of them are), and any legal process of assisted suicide should take this into consideration.

Soldato
I don't think anyone seriosly suggests that there should not be robust checks and balances to ensure someone is making a reasoned decision and that they have capacity to make that decision. Decisions such as these should not be made in the moment (although to be fair, many of them are), and any legal process of assisted suicide should take this into consideration.
You’d think so and I would agree however the below post I quoted doesn’t seem to think that to be the case.
‘It’s up to them simple as that’ is quite a telling and worrying statement.
What right do any of us have if a person wants to end their life? (NONE)

it is up to them simple as that

Back
Top Bottom