Mares/horsetail weed things need to die.

Soldato
Sounds like you're in for the long haul

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=257

Non-weedkiller control
Removing horsetail by hand is difficult. Although rhizomes growing near the surface can be forked out, deeper roots will require a lot of excavation. Shallow, occasional weeding is not effective and can make the problem worse, as the plant can regrow from any small pieces left behind. However, removing shoots as soon as they appear above the ground can reduce infestation if carried out over a number of years.

If horsetail appears in lawns, it can be kept in check by mowing regularly.

Weedkiller control
Infestations of horsetail can be weakened with weedkiller.

• On vacant soil, where there are no herbaceous perennials, bulbs or crops, you can use SBM Job Done Path Weedkiller (ready to use only) and Weedol Pathclear products containing glyphosate/diflufenican to inhibit new shoots
  • Tough weedkillers containing glyphosate (e.g. Roundup Tree Stump & Rootkiller, SBM Job Done Tough Weedkiller (soluble sachets only), Doff Maxi Strength Glyphosate Weedkiller or Westland Resolva Xtra Tough Concentrate or for spot treatment use Roundup Gel) can be applied in late summer when growth is strong. Before using, bruise the shoots with a rake to ensure effective penetration
Remember: horsetail is persistent, and several applications – possibly over a number of years – may be necessary to completely eradicate the problem.

Soldato
Horse tail is a right pain - I did read that you need to damage the stems for any weed killer to work as they are waxy - Very difficult to kill - We rented a house that was built on edge of a old canal overflow pond and this stuff was embedded as they like wet ground - In the end I let it grow then cut it like a lawn.
Best of luck trying to kill it.

Soldato
OP
Think I try out a litre of this Gallup stuff as contains Glyphosate. Will give a small patch a go first to see how far it will affect the surrounding area.

Associate
Buy a few kilos of this stuff -- Thank me later!!
Ammonium Sulphamate
Can be purchased on ebay or amazon. Do a first spray....wait 3 days and you will see the dying weeds go dark unhealthy green...follow up with another spray to get all the healthy green weeds that you may have missed or any that look like still got some life in them....go around your house and find any traces of it as it spreads its roots several metres around where it gets established.
Following year, watch out for its re-emergence....try kill it early on in spring.

Whatever you do, dont try pull the weeds up as they distribute their pores that way and the weed goes 1.5metres down into the soil.

Glyphosate will work but will take weeks and several applications as the weed has a wax coating that makes it very resistant to typical contact weedkillers.

Soldato
OP
Buy a few kilos of this stuff -- Thank me later!!
Ammonium Sulphamate
Can be purchased on ebay or amazon. Do a first spray....wait 3 days and you will see the dying weeds go dark unhealthy green...follow up with another spray to get all the healthy green weeds that you may have missed or any that look like still got some life in them....go around your house and find any traces of it as it spreads its roots several metres around where it gets established.

Whatever you do, dont try pull the weeds up as they distribute their pores that way and the weed goes 1.5metres down into the soil.

Glyphosate will work but will take weeks and several applications as the weed has a wax coating that makes it very resistant to typical contact weedkillers.

cheers, will give that a go.

Associate
Few things about horsetail. I have read quite a lot of people's experience with this stuff (I have it myself). There seems to be no one-off cure for getting rid of it. It takes times and persistence. Just having a big session every month or two weeks is not the approach to control it. I use cut and poison. I do a horsetail patrol at least once a week and cut all the stuff I see. It keeps coming back but will get weaker and less of it. It takes vigilance. Keep your grass close mowed. Hoe your beds and slice it off. Do not rotovate! Guy next door did that - it makes things worse. In the paving I spray it with glysophate. Use the Gallup - it dilutes to 1:20. It won't work immediately - it takes a week for it to start to die and usually a couple of sprays. I just use an indoor plant spray bottle. I put a little (very little) washing up liquid in it to break the wax on the horsetail. So - cut and spray, cut and spray ... As I experience it there is no magic cure for the stuff. The people with most success stay on top of it and accept it takes times and persistence. Not too much time I find but certainly persistence. In the spring cut off the asparagus looking shoots immediately, they start to appear - they contain spores. Lady near me is using SBK - I will be checking on her success. They grow April until September. Although in September they are preparing to die off so not much point in spraying them. Can it be eradicated? Opinions vary. One person claims almost complete success (she still sees the odd bit) by staying on top of it and using my method. Another person used Kurtail Gold (now no longer produced but a replacement is on the way) and said he just about eliminated it but the neighbour does not control it so he still gets it here and there but not a lot. Ammonium Sulphamate gets a good write up - so I may start to try to use it seriously. Hope this helps. Sorry, there seems to no one-off solution. Maybe if it s new to your garden you will quickly get on top of it. I hope so.

Associate
I have used Grazon 90 in the past with great success in killing it. Grazon 90 is now Grazon Pro but I haven't sprayed any marestail with it since the name change so can't guarantee it still works.

Back
Top Bottom