• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Soldato
I know, i have explained AMD are about to offer more for less that they did with Rzen 1000, they can't win.

TBH i don't care about those who doggedly stick to Intel, i don't care how high there prices are, i'm happy to use either or, whatever offers me the best performance for my pounds.

I also want AMD to remain competitive, for that they need R&D to keep up the good work they started, their CPU's are priced high enough i think to make enough money on them while still being significantly cheaper than the competition, so i'll be paying a bit more for my next Ryzen, but i'll be getting a lot more too, the price difference is less than what i'm going to gain.

I just can't bring my self to complain about that, i would feel like an idiot.

Plus you know what?? People can wait until pricing settles down,especially if Intel does eventually respond with price cuts or new models. People are so impatient nowadays. Stick to your budget and what level of performance you want and wait it out then!! I bought a Core i3 2100 back in 2011 when I moved over to Sandy Bridge since a Core i7 2600 was more than what I wanted to spend at the time(and there was not so much benefit for me either for what games and applications I was running),I then upgraded to an Ivy Bridge Xeon E3 1230 V2 and had the system until last year. It was cheaper for me to go that route than buy a Core i7 2600 at launch. I didn't upgrade until then since it was not worth the cost. I got a nice doubling of performance in some stuff I run which I am pleased with.

Caporegime
OP
Plus you know what?? People can wait until pricing settles down,especially if Intel does eventually respond with price cuts or new models. People are so impatient nowadays. Stick to your budget and what level of performance you want and wait it out then!! I bought a Core i3 2100 back in 2011 when I moved over to Sandy Bridge since a Core i7 2600 was more than what I wanted to spend at the time(and there was not so much benefit for me either for what games and applications I was running),I then upgraded to an Ivy Bridge Xeon E3 1230 V2 and had the system until last year. It was cheaper for me to go that route than buy a Core i7 2600 at launch. I didn't upgrade until then since it was not worth the cost. I got a nice doubling of performance in some stuff I run which I am pleased with.

Yeah, it didn't hurt me to keep my 1600 for 18 months, i may even keep my current motherboard and wait to see the B550's.

Tho i am happy to pay more to buy early this time round, its good to have choices eh? ;)

Permabanned
£60 GT1030 does everything better than a Core i9 9900K. So a £500 12 core Ryzen 9 3900X,a £120 X470 board and a £60 GT1030.

Total is £680 for 12 cores. Plus your beloved Intel CPU has no PCI-E 4.0 even when you on purpose spec a cheaper Intel board,when you know very well the AMD system on X570 has PCI-E 4.0.

Drop that down to a Ryzen 7 3700X at £330,with a £120 board,that is £450.

So £150 more for the Core i9 9900K which can be spent on a better graphics card.

First of all, let's stop with the childish posts. intel isn't beloved.
And where is the PCIe 4.0 on your 120 X470 board?

See:

Motherboards, i think we are just going to have to accept that if we want the Z390 quality we will have to pay Z390 money

Z390 quality for top dolllar. Except that the Z390 starts at 100 pounds.
This is why I took that board.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Regardless the 4 series will still be sold, so i dont give a **** about the cost of x570s. I don't know what possible use the ave. consumer has for M2 drives that can hit three times their usually still very high speed, and PCIE4 is currently irrelevant beyond that.

The only thing that might be of interest is the updated I/O, but even then it's whatever, the issue will be in how the Ram support fairs, as i doubt the 4 series boards will support the new speed baseline.

Last edited:
Soldato
Regardless the 4 series will still be sold, so i dont give a **** about the cost of x570s. I don't know what possible use the ave. consumer has for M2 drives that can hit three times their usually still very high speed, and PCIE4 is currently irrelevant beyond that.

The only thing that might be of interest is the updated I/O, but even then it's whatever, the issue will be in how the Ram support fairs, as i doubt the 4 series boards will support the new speed baseline.

I think a lot of consumers have a long upgrade cycle. I'm buying into overkill now as it should still be relevant in 5 years.

Don
People need to start toning down the terminology and emotion. Referring to people as you lot, fanboys and all the other little childish digs will not be tolerated. This section is in danger of becoming the GFX sub forum of years gone by. It won’t be allowed so take this a warning.

Associate
My 3570k being an Ivy Bridge I believe had the first wave of PCIE3 motherboards and that turned out to be a nice thing to have.
Jumping into PCIE4 motherboards seems like a good idea for anyone who plans to keep their system for years.

Caporegime
My 3570k being an Ivy Bridge I believe had the first wave of PCIE3 motherboards and that turned out to be a nice thing to have.
Jumping into PCIE4 motherboards seems like a good idea for anyone who plans to keep their system for years.

Maybe if PCIE5 wasn't coming so soon after by the looks of things.

Soldato
Just like with the X370 and X470 launching first there will be most likely B550 boards months later anyway IMHO.

Exactly - wait for the cheaper B550 motherboard or buy a B450/X470 motherboard. I bought a B450 motherboard,and so did many people I knew and X470 motherboards had more features,could overclock a bit,etc. Big deal. The money saved was spent towards a bigger SSD,better graphics card,etc.

If the X570 motherboards are overpriced,then don't buy them,as that is the only language companies understand.

Moreover,if the Ryzen 3000 CPUs and X570 motherboards at launch are too pricey,then wait another six months and see if prices drop(they did with the previous Ryzen generations) or wait for the next Ryzen generation,and get some deals on the previous ones.

People appear to lack zero patience nowadays. If you are on a tighter budget you need to be patient and you will tend to get less features compared to some one who can spend a lot of money.

Also from my experience of B350/B450 boards its the AGESA and CPU you have which is more important - I had no problems hitting 3200MHZ on my Ryzen 5 2600 just enabling DOCP on my Asus motherboard.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think a lot of consumers have a long upgrade cycle. I'm buying into overkill now as it should still be relevant in 5 years.
I have a very long upgrade cycle. I’m nowhere near as big a hardware enthusiast as some on here. I like to build a quality PC that will last a long time, so I can then ignore all the noise for the next few years until the time comes again to rebuild.

My current 2500k system was built in 2011, and is unchanged with the exception of graphics cards and replacing a broken PSU.

Permabanned
The highest share price since 2006:

1607voy.png

Associate
AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su named one of world's best CEOs!
https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-lisa-su-world-s-best-ceo,news-60951.html

"Describing AMD as now a "genuine threat [to Intel]", Barron's expects the company to see great gains in the coming years."
Barron's actually removed Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang off of its "World's Best CEOs" list because the company "has disappointed on new Turing graphics chips" :p

Associate
Mindfactory Report June 2019
IGNFyEK.png
The new sales data suggests many are waiting for the Ryzen 3000 launch before upgrading their systems.
Interestingly Intel only sold 4000 CPU's last month, which is a record low number for years at Mindfactory.

Soldato
Id say most people looking at buying have been waiting to see what the AMD Zen2 stuff brings, i expect to see a huge uptake in AMD sales in the coming weeks, i know atleast 3 people all planning Zen2 builds.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Maybe if PCIE5 wasn't coming so soon after by the looks of things.

people was saying the same about pci express 4 in 2011 on the forums back in the day as PCI-SIG gave out the specifications in nov of 2011 as it taken this long to come to market. But there is one mig deciding factor now though and pci express 4 will have a shorter life span then pci express 3 as now ssd using the interface system on the pc Wd seagate samsung etc will all push for higher speed to keep making faster and faster ssd and keeping the price high

Caporegime
people was saying the same about pci express 4 in 2011 on the forums back in the day as PCI-SIG gave out the specifications in nov of 2011 as it taken this long to come to market. But there is one mig deciding factor now though and pci express 4 will have a shorter life span then pci express 3 as now ssd using the interface system on the pc Wd seagate samsung etc will all push for higher speed to keep making faster and faster ssd and keeping the price high

They didn't give out the pci-e 4 spec in 2011, they finalised the spec and gave it out in mid 2017 and it's coming to market well, actually in products like Radeon VII around 18 months later. In 2011 they just announced they were working on it and the planned performance, etc. It wasn't anywhere near finalised. It's like AMD announcing Zen project starting in like 2012/2013... the intentions were announced but they actually had to do it.

PCI-e 5 was finalised a month or two back and as such I'd expect products end of 2020 to mid 2021. For a gpu for instance it's far easier to add pci-e 5 compatibility than it is to add it to a full platform. So maybe gpus late in 2020 or early 2021 to have pci-e 5 support while motherboards/cpus that also support it to be mid to late 2021.

Back
Top Bottom