Trooping the Colour - the question you shouldn't ask

Caporegime
Yup, you empty your bladder and don't take any more fluids in. It's not rocket science.

I don't think it even requires the not taking any more in but tbh... obvs prob not a good idea to down a couple of pints beforehand but a normal person on a normal day will tend to go 3 hours without needing to pee. The OP has brought up a non issue.

Not being able to pee for a couple of hours just isn't.

The challenging bits are making sure you don't feel like your arm is about to drop off - holding the weapon with your arm staring, not using muscles to pull up (bit hard to describe) and distributing your weight a bit every so often whent stood still, subtly lifting the weight off your heels inside your boots etc...

Caporegime
I'm sure at some point you're going to evidence that.

Well get out of Cornwall for once go to london go anywhere near anything related to the royal and go ask some of the tourists why they're there.

Evidence being; the **** ton of tourists at the trouping of the colours

Soldato
You've misread my post, half of it was not aimed at you. Read again.

I see your point though, it's something you don't agree with, therfore "it's pointless". Much like your endeavours in weight loss and earning 50k. Alas, it's a pretty narrow minded view point, particularly since your own admission that you're in a minority with that view.

And nope, no tourists are attracted to see the guards :rolleyes:... Who's the shambles eh? :D

While i don't see the point in it either, that second video is hilarious (would there be somebody getting offended at that now though?)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Lots of people it seems in OCUK have a distinct lack of moral fibre :)

That is what my old RSM used to say about civvies. As i get older the more wise those words were.

As for trooping the colour, its tradition and the military is built on tradition besides some of those guys doing the parade have seen/done more in their short lives than many people do in 20 years. Respect is due.

(why they join the guards in the first place though shows how mentally unstable they are though, Less said about the idiots in charge of them though, some utter idiots with money from daddy)

Caporegime
Lots of people it seems in OCUK have a distinct lack of moral fibre :)

That is what my old RSM used to say about civvies. As i get older the more wise those words were.

As for trooping the colour, its tradition and the military is built on tradition besides some of those guys doing the parade have seen/done more in their short lives than many people do in 20 years. Respect is due.

(why they join the guards in the first place though shows how mentally unstable they are though, Less said about the idiots in charge of them though, some utter idiots with money from daddy)

Goes on about mortal fiber and giving respect to troops then calls them mentally unstable.

Bravo

Associate
I think the reasons we still do it are:

Tradition, tourists come to see the UK's heritage and traditions and add to the economy, in all weathers there is always a big turn out even when your just changing the guard. Tourists would still come, with or without the army and Royal Palaces but they're part of the furniture. A Bear Skinned Guardsman must feature as one of the most recognisable London sites, getting rid of them would be like getting rid of Big Ben.

It's also a very visible activity, it advertises the army, there's a video online where a Guardsman completes his duty and then comes back out so a little boy (dressed as a soldier) can get a photo, viewed millions of times, fantastic PR for the army.

The soldiers are still available for other defence roles if needed, I'm sure there is a cost to doing the guards but I wouldn't imagine it is a colossal amount more than for a Unit employed on other duties.

I'm not a Guardsman myself, but did 2 years in the role - It didn't at all appeal to me and preferred to do 'proper' soldiering, although that said, it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Associate
Reading this thread is amusing:

"Of course you can wait two and a half hours"
"Most people go four hours without using the loo"
"Easy to hold on for three hours"
"Simple, don't drink before the parade"
"just empty your bladder before you go out"

If only they were robots! Surely the guardsmen are like the rest of us... has no-one ever been unexpectedly caught short?

Associate
OP
According to a television interview with a senior military guy after yesterday’s event they were delighted that there were no faintest during the Trooping the Colour parade. He said they had encouraged the use of glucose drinks and was pleased it had worked so well that nobody passed out.

I’m no expert but I thought glucose raised your blood sugar level and that had other side effects on the body. Which goes back to the original question posed in this thread!!

Caporegime
Thanks for that answer, very informative.

Can you really be outside for up to four hours though? That seems excruciating to someone like me.

Why?

People tend to pee about every 3 hours IIRC, if you go just before you go on parade then it isn’t exactly a big ask to hold it in.

Edit - on mobile, didn’t notice this had been bumped.

Back
Top Bottom