Dad just lost sight in his right eye, advice to anyone with older parents

Associate
My dad just completely lost sight in his right eye yesterday. He's in hospital right now to see what they can do but most likely won't gain his right eye vision back without multiple operations, even then it won't be much. The retina just completely detached.

My dad is 70 and reading the brochure it says people around the ages of 60-70 are most susceptible to this. My advice for anyone with parents around this age is to see an optician every year (the last time my dad went was when he was 50 or something). They said in the brochure it CAN be prevented if the optician can spot it and treat it with some form of laser compared to the now physical operation he will have to go under.

Apparently there was no prior signs, it just completely went out but I don't know if this is him in denial or just not aware. I took yesterday to think about any possible signs I could and I came up with two you should look out for:

1. If they still drive watch closely. I was not in the car at the time but my mother said he was very skewed on one side of the motorway lanes not near the centre of the lines. It was enough that they argued about it
2. Hand eye coordination. If you hand them something watch for how they accept the item. I remember last week my dad took an extra second to grab something I gave him which I didn't think nothing of at the time

I should have been aware of these issues and put 2 and 2 together. I feel stupid for not doing it. Hopefully someone else out there can one day save their parents eyesight (or maybe even your own) by catching it early and learn from my shortcomings

Soldato
Your Dad was a silly man - He could have had free eye tests and for £30 they will take pictures of your eyes.

I had my test three weeks ago and optician immediately set up a hospital appointment as she found I had a small blood clot just off center of my eye ball - a bit closer and my sight would have been affected.
I have the appointment next week and I am hoping for the best - Two years ago they also found a problem so it was hospital again and 6 month return checks - that has improved and didn't show up on this last test.
I hope your Dads eye will be OK - The wife had cataracts done and she couldn't believe how bad her eye sight was even when I kept asking her can you see that or whatever it was - Oh yes she said but now knows it was fuzzy and blurred.
If anyone has any doubt about their eyes go to the optician - for what it costs it's peanuts against losing your eye sight.

Caporegime
Maybe people are having trouble seeing it!! Boom boom.

Joking aside, OP i hope your dads sight gets sorted.

As stated in the OP, it probably wont. But at least he still has vision in the other eye.

One of my eyes doesn't work properly/at all, I can only see out of my right eye if I close my left one. I can't remember the name of the condition... But because I was born with it, my hand eye co-ordination etc is fine because it is all I've ever known.

If I close my left eye and try walking around, or while I'm driving, etc, it makes me feel disorientated and sick. :p

My point is, having one working eye isn't the end of the world and your Dad will get used to it and be able to live normally! :)

Associate
As stated in the OP, it probably wont. But at least he still has vision in the other eye.

One of my eyes doesn't work properly/at all, I can only see out of my right eye if I close my left one. I can't remember the name of the condition... But because I was born with it, my hand eye co-ordination etc is fine because it is all I've ever known.

If I close my left eye and try walking around, or while I'm driving, etc, it makes me feel disorientated and sick. :p

My point is, having one working eye isn't the end of the world and your Dad will get used to it and be able to live normally! :)

I thought that was how it worked for everyone?
That's how I see it anyway...

Soldato
I went to the optician last November first time in 6 years. The gods were smiling on me as they caught early signs of glaucoma ( runs in family ) - normally I'm good with things like dentist / optician but I had just let it slide for a while. Have to put drops in every night now but better than going blind

Associate
OP
Update: Dad is back home after a 1 hour 30 minute operation. I've never seen my dad so scared before. Imagine being awake as they stick stuff into your eyeball that you can't see but you hear them talking about it. He now has to lay in bed for 2-3 months on his side to allow the healing process to occur (he won't be able to see for awhile still) but the operation was apparently a success. His eye is full of some form of gas and has to wear a bracelet to warn people his eye might explode if he is in an accident. He has 2 sets of eye drops we need to do 4 times a day for a month or so but the main concern is rest and absolutely no form of lifting or anything physical. He can't even bend down to put his socks on the pressure is too bad.

I had to laugh at the discharge form it has stuff like "don't swim"

Soldato
from what my optician tells me it seems like an impending retinal detachment would br rather obvious.

Constant flashing lights or constant “shower” of floaters is what he tells me to look out for.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/detached-retina-retinal-detachment/

It is obvious if you know what to look out for.

Flashing lights are typically an early symptom. DO NOT IGNORE THEM!

Some years ago, I had a friend ring me on a Sunday evening saying that she had experienced flashing lights earlier in the day and the people she was at work with suggested that she should make an appointment to see an optician.

I said sod that, I am taking you to A&E now, I will pick you up in 10 minutes.

A&E wasn't actually able to do much that evening, but she did get an appointment for the next morning (Which I also took her too) whereupon they used a laser to "Spot Weld" her retina back in place.

Sadly she has had ongoing issues with this and may well lose her eyesight one day :(

But had she delayed she could have lost her eyesight back then within 48 hours.

It doesn't just happen to old people!

Soldato
My dad just completely lost sight in his right eye yesterday. He's in hospital right now to see what they can do but most likely won't gain his right eye vision back without multiple operations, even then it won't be much. The retina just completely detached.

My dad is 70 and reading the brochure it says people around the ages of 60-70 are most susceptible to this. My advice for anyone with parents around this age is to see an optician every year (the last time my dad went was when he was 50 or something). They said in the brochure it CAN be prevented if the optician can spot it and treat it with some form of laser compared to the now physical operation he will have to go under.

Apparently there was no prior signs, it just completely went out but I don't know if this is him in denial or just not aware. I took yesterday to think about any possible signs I could and I came up with two you should look out for:

1. If they still drive watch closely. I was not in the car at the time but my mother said he was very skewed on one side of the motorway lanes not near the centre of the lines. It was enough that they argued about it
2. Hand eye coordination. If you hand them something watch for how they accept the item. I remember last week my dad took an extra second to grab something I gave him which I didn't think nothing of at the time

I should have been aware of these issues and put 2 and 2 together. I feel stupid for not doing it. Hopefully someone else out there can one day save their parents eyesight (or maybe even your own) by catching it early and learn from my shortcomings

This posts makes me feel like you think you are somewhat responsible for what happened.

You're not.

Soldato
It is obvious if you know what to look out for.

Flashing lights are typically an early symptom. DO NOT IGNORE THEM!

Some years ago, I had a friend ring me on a Sunday evening saying that she had experienced flashing lights earlier in the day and the people she was at work with suggested that she should make an appointment to see an optician.

It doesn't just happen to old people!

They are not necessarily a sign your retina will detach but they can be, a difficult one to judge. I get yearly checks as i am short sighted and i do get the odd flash but have been told i am fine so far.

Last edited:
Soldato
I never said i would ignore them but thanks !

I wasn't speaking to you as such, just the world in general. :)

The problem is that it is easy for people to put off things that dont actually hurt. Any flashing lights are a major warning sign and should be treated as a medical emergency.

My friends experience just reminded me of just how much some medical treatments have advanced over my lifetime. 10 minutes in out patients with a laser fixed my friend at the time. even 20 years ago treatment would have been much more traumatic and she might well have lost her sight anyway.

Associate
Hope your dad gets it sorted but i am also one of the one eye club. Something when i was around 3 happened and lost sight in my left eye still have a few depth perception issues from time to time but it’s not to bad.

Soldato
as others said, i'm surprised it sounds like it just happened. it shouldn't unless trauma was involved. there should have been precursors of floaters and lights, as mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom